The program could have pulled out half of the included analysis functionality for the freeware version and I'd still be posting about it.
Feature summary (from the website)
- Planning & Research - Store images & links to websites — all in a handy Research section that sits right next to you as you write. Create character profiles, outlines & notes as you work.
- Write Scene by Scene - No more 100,000 word Microsoft documents. Write your novel one scene or chapter at a time. Drag and drop scenes inside your Document until it’s just the way you want it.
- Edit, Polish, Improve - Identify word and phrase over-use, monitor adverbs, crutch words & clichés, improve sentence structure & punctuation — all using SmartEdit’s Editor Toolbar.
* Import and export options: Word, ODT (OpenOffice/LibreOffice), RTF, and TXT
* The acronyms check (for things like "IBM") appears to just check for content that's in all caps, but that's still a step up from any recent program I've tested.
Blog post about free status: https://www.smart-edit.com/Blog/Post/Sm ... erNowFree/
Mirror: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-to ... bler.shtml - still lists the commercial price.
1. Download and uniextract
2. Launch SmartEditProjectManager.exe (not SmartEditWriter.exe)
Status: not portable. \AppData\Roaming\Atomic Scribbler and also requires selecting a static project folder.
* MatnPardaz word / phrase frequency counter