Tom's Viewer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
zorro

Re: Tom's Viewer

#16 Post by zorro »

@Tom:
1) about 80MB and as mentioned created with PS CC2014 - not really new, saved in compatibility format
3) No, the resolution of X-Trans files in Tom's Viewer ist exactly the same as in other viewers - full size (in my case 4896x3264px), in addition in IrfanView I get the information about compressed size (about 8MB) and uncompressed size (in memory, about 45MB) - so the full image is open and not just the embedded thumbnail
Hope this helps you :-)

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

zorro wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:32 am Quick test with a few problems:
Thanks for your initial analysis here. Even if the author hadn't come in to respond to some of your notes (which was great by itself), I find these very useful when deciding what software to dig into.

Tom

#18 Post by Tom »

zorro wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:45 pm @Tom:
1) about 80MB and as mentioned created with PS CC2014 - not really new, saved in compatibility format
3) No, the resolution of X-Trans files in Tom's Viewer ist exactly the same as in other viewers - full size (in my case 4896x3264px), in addition in IrfanView I get the information about compressed size (about 8MB) and uncompressed size (in memory, about 45MB) - so the full image is open and not just the embedded thumbnail
Hope this helps you :-)
Thanks!
1) In order to speed loading images I set file size limit to about 45 MB. Program supports over 300 file formats by itself and additional 500+ with plugins. Sometimes in order to know if the image can be loaded or not it needs to be loaded in full and analyzed. I thought 45 MB for an image should be enough. I will increase this value and make it configurable.
2) I tried some test files from X-Trans cameras and other RAW photos. Some were read by Tom's Viewer, some not. Some were read by Irfan View, some not. I never found a situation where Irfan reads the same image quickly and Tom's Viewer slowly. On my sample photos it's either similar time or one of the programs just didn't support that photo at all. So my question is: could you send me your file?

zorro

#19 Post by zorro »

Here you go - this image for example (but the behaviour occured with all of my Fuji-images): https://depot.nullnull3.de/mb_w108_0219_fj9535.jpg
I didn't test RAWs - I use IranView for copying and renaming my RAWs (from Fuji & Canon) and it has no problems showing them, but with Tom's Viewer I didn't load a RAW after the Fuji-JPEGs took so long to open.

Tom

#20 Post by Tom »

@zorro
Thank you! Indeed IrfanView loads the image in under a second while Tom's Viewer needs about 3. Terrible :(

Tom

#21 Post by Tom »

zorro wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:04 am Here you go - this image for example (but the behaviour occured with all of my Fuji-images): https://depot.nullnull3.de/mb_w108_0219_fj9535.jpg
I didn't test RAWs - I use IranView for copying and renaming my RAWs (from Fuji & Canon) and it has no problems showing them, but with Tom's Viewer I didn't load a RAW after the Fuji-JPEGs took so long to open.
New version 3.10 can read this image a lots faster. On my computer it's 1 second vs 3 seconds. Faster than XnView, a bit slower than IrfanView.
http://www.tomseditor.com/blog/TomsViewer.exe
It also has Unsharp Mask.

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

Does anyone have an idea of how to download the various Tom's Viewer plugins manually? I can do a screencap and OCR the various links in screen prompt, but trying to find a way around that.

I didn't take a close look at this when it was first discussed, but definitely a lot of unique filters and processors built into this program. Seam carving, total color reduction, ascii art, and a lot more. Loads of different enlarge functions. Would almost lot this under the image processing category there's so many.

aazard

#23 Post by aazard »

If you want the plugins I have them all individually

BUT:

fotographix and imagine trump this in file type support, features and FULL (all plugins) size.
This is neat but a sub-ideal program, poor UI also.

This doesnt deserve to waste ppls time as an option, sub-class compared to byte4byte better applications.

When "full" of plugins, its 3x larger than Lazpaint 32bit.. so its pure bloatware

Fotographics, DXTBmp, WTV are ALL BETTER & SMALL VIEWERS

thepiney

#24 Post by thepiney »

Tom's Viewer has been around for what, 2-1/2 years? The others you mention have been around much longer. Tom's Viewer is still under development and the author has been active on this site.

I don't find it a waste of time at all to give a developer a chance. I haven't used the program yet but I downloaded it and plan to at the very least check it out. If you don't want to use it, fine, that's your choice. Often, programs grow into a feature set and UI style and perhaps this one will as well. I don't see .PDF file format support for Fotographix or Imagine but perhaps they do with a plugin. Their may be some formats that are supported with Tom's Viewer that are not with others and even one could be the difference.

aazard

#25 Post by aazard »

I don't find it a waste of time at all to give a developer a chance
too correct, forgive my statement, re-reading it I sounded rude/harsh, sorry

aazard

#26 Post by aazard »

PS: Imagine can handle PDF, I just tested it (I do have all plugins listed on site mind you...so it may not do so default)

I just finished a "byte4byte best" FOSS/Freeware software compilation, mostly for "creatives/modders/devs" (there is a portable version also BTW)

Toms viewer seemed VERY promising (like a mini "XMediaRecode"), but after plugins are added (its over 15mb) & under testing it "failed" to offer enough to pay for its bulk

DXTBmp handled DDS (alpha or not, BC1/BC3/BC5 with normal map support) export

WTV, Fotographixs & Imagine (unicode) can handle almost all other image viewing or converting, Njob can do "the bulk" of other normal map work

AviTricks Classic & AviScreen, mp3DirectCut & waveosaur, & Avi2Wav (with TScreenBroadcast) are "Kdenlive, Ocenaudio, OBS lite" (VirtualDubMod v1.5.10.2, no plugins can ride along)

meshmagic & NeoTextureEdit are your "blender"

SSuite Personal office's word processor (Wordformat2 663kb) & spreadsheet processor (Spreadfrom1 419kb) with tinyspell, Docx2Doc + Xlsx2Xls (+ afew others) do all your basic office UNDER 13mb TOTAL

blah blah (note I AM UPX COMPRESSING THESE MANUALLY, editing audio files etc "smaller")

See the full thing (its only 118mb on a USB flash drive): https://github.com/aazard/HumanStuff_Ea ... tag/v3.2.1

look for HumanStuff_Byte4Byte_Pak.exe, its 100% portable

that 118mb is byte4byte, imho, the best software currently available (& some is 10+ years off the net)

aazard

#27 Post by aazard »

webfork wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:31 pm Does anyone have an idea of how to download the various Tom's Viewer plugins manually? I can do a screencap and OCR the various links in screen prompt, but trying to find a way around that.

I didn't take a close look at this when it was first discussed, but definitely a lot of unique filters and processors built into this program. Seam carving, total color reduction, ascii art, and a lot more. Loads of different enlarge functions. Would almost lot this under the image processing category there's so many.
  • download the installer, install it then copy the files to a safe place
  • run app (from install location), download ALL plugins
  • now you have a copy with and without plugins,
  • Save only the plugin files to yet another safe location (these are "stand alone files" now) then full uninstall app.
  • Go through the portable process, copy over plugins
  • make test copy for UPX tests
  • When you have best result...done
Sloppy/Dirty, but 100% working

aazard

#28 Post by aazard »

Would almost lot this under the image processing category there's so many.
In my app by app tests, options are nice but many "vary in byte value"..... but there is gold to be found!

I am truly amazed by Software OK & SSuite Software apps byte4byte value

NirSoft also... Rocketcake, The WYSIWYG Static site maker is just stupid good at its portable size

SWAZZ Toolkit, "Free Websitemaker" by mediafreeware, hsf the HTTP File Server, bat2exe (bat2exe.exe) & TScreenBroadcast are WILDLY POWERFUL to a point its "wrong"

And oddly the TRULY free NCH software

seems alot of GOOD FOSS/FREEWARE software went "bye-bye" around 2005 from the net.

D-Plus, doomrl-win-0997-lq, Iter Vehemens Ad Necem v050 (but there is a re-newed version @ https://github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases to v0.58 dated Mar 15 2020), AviTricks (& other www.bobyte.com apps) and a few other "abandoned" projects on git/sourceforge can still be dug for

Midas

#29 Post by Midas »

thepiney wrote: Often, programs grow into a feature set and UI style and perhaps this one will as well.

:arrow: Ditto.

billon

#30 Post by billon »

@aazard:

Easy there with gigantic caps-bold and flooding, basically off-topic, posts, it's starting to look more and more just like spam