Joplin is a free, open source note taking and to-do application, which can handle a large number of notes organised into notebooks. The notes are searchable, can be copied, tagged and modified either from the applications directly or from your own text editor. The notes are in Markdown format.
Notes exported from Evernote via .enex files can be imported into Joplin, including the formatted content (which is converted to Markdown), resources (images, attachments, etc.) and complete metadata (geolocation, updated time, created time, etc.). Plain Markdown files can also be imported.
The notes can be synchronised with various cloud services including Nextcloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, WebDAV or the file system (for example with a network directory). When synchronising the notes, notebooks, tags and other metadata are saved to plain text files which can be easily inspected, backed up and moved around.
The application is available for Windows, Linux, macOS, Android and iOS. A Web Clipper, to save web pages and screenshots from your browser, is also available for Firefox and Chrome.
FeaturesThe portable application allows installing the software on a portable device such as a USB key. Simply copy the file JoplinPortable.exe in any directory on that USB key ; the application will then create a directory called "JoplinProfile" next to the executable file.
- Desktop, mobile and terminal applications.
- Web Clipper for Firefox and Chrome.
- End To End Encryption (E2EE)
- Synchronisation with various services, including NextCloud, Dropbox, WebDAV and OneDrive.
- Import Enex files (Evernote export format) and Markdown files.
- Export JEX files (Joplin Export format) and raw files.
- Support notes, to-dos, tags and notebooks.
- Sort notes by multiple criteria - title, updated time, etc.
- Support for alarms (notifications) in mobile and desktop applications.
- Offline first, so the entire data is always available on the device even without an internet connection.
- Markdown notes, which are rendered with images and formatting in the desktop and mobile applications. Support for extra features such as math notation and checkboxes.
- File attachment support - images are displayed, and other files are linked and can be opened in the relevant application.
- Search functionality.
- Geo-location support.
- Supports multiple languages