Biniware Run

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

Biniware Run

#1 Post by smaragdus » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Preamble
I have tested and used a huge number of launchers of all kinds (type-search-run, pop-up menus, category boxes, etc). Perhaps program launchers is the category I have most played with (together with hash tools). The ones I like and use most (which I have customized to my needs) are all abandoned now (ASuite, FSL Launcher, HotKeyz, Pretty Run, Quick Pop Menu, etc) but as they still work fine I do not need to switch to launchers still in development (adding stuff would be a time consuming task). Yet when I come across a new launcher which seems to be interesting I usually give it a try. Several days ago I stumbled upon a brand new tool- Biniware Run, I did a brief testing and I found it useful even though it is first public release (published on 2018-12-12). I expect that the program will get polished in future releases (I might suggest some improvements to the developer) yet I suppose that in its current state it might be beneficial to some users.

Synopsis
Biniware Run is a friendly, colorful and easy to use software which provides you fast access to your favorite website links, files and folders from one single place. Just drag and drop any website link, file or folder inside the colored circle from your desktop. You can easily access all you are interested in by using this handy software. You can define categories, move, sort, import, export or customize your shortcuts anytime. Instead of searching for bookmarks in different web browsers, files or folders through your computer, make your work and browsing easier with Biniware Run. And the best thing is that this software is portable. Even if there is an installer, this is just for an initial setup: folder creation, optional shortcuts, quick overview on how to use it. The installer will just extract one executable file and that's all. Want to get rid of it? Simple. Just delete the file.
Features
  • Easy to use and customizable user interface.
  • The shortcuts are displayed with their own icons.
  • Drag and drop support for website links, files and folders.
  • Shortcuts to .exe, .cmd, .bat files support parameters.
  • Shortcuts to .exe, .cmd, .bat, .msc files can be executed with administrative privileges.
  • Sorting, moving, importing and exporting of the shortcuts are supported.
  • The configuration is stored in XML format, making it easy to edit the file in any text editor.
  • This is a portable software. You can move and execute it from any folder from your computer.
  • Full support for standard user accounts. Elevated privileges are not required.
Registered Users Features
  • Custom image support. The user can choose a custom image to be used instead of the default colored circle. Supported formats: .ico, .gif, .png.
  • Special thank you mention in the About section of the software.
Links Downloads
Direct Download Link

Images

Biniware Run version 1.0.0.0 - context menu - configure (right click) (static image):

Biniware Run version 1.0.0.0 - context menu - launch (left click) (static image):

Biniware Run version 1.0.0.0 - context menu - launch (left click) (static image):

Biniware Run version 1.0.0.0 - configuration window (animated image):

Biniware Run version 1.0.0.0 - adding program (static image):

Portability
Biniware Run can be easily made portable but unfortunately it is released as installer only and I failed to extract the installer trying various tools. Once installed the settings are saved in brun.cfg- if it exists in program folder it would be used, otherwise it would be created in AppData:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Biniware\brun.cfg
However while portable the program is not stealth- even if used in portable mode an empty folder in AppData is left behind:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Biniware
Instructions
  • Download the installer (BrunSetup.exe);
  • Run the installer (BrunSetup.exe);
  • Specify installation folder;
  • Uncheck the following boxes:
    • Create program shortcuts in Start Menu and Desktop for current user
    • Start automatically at current user logon
    • Screen
  • Open the installation folder;
  • Create an empty brun.cfg file;
  • Run the executable (brun.exe);
Requirements
  • Supported operating systems: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista.
  • Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.5 or a newer version.
License
Biniware Run is donationware.

Note
  • I consider Biniware Run (as of version 1.0.0.0) a fully functional program because the features unlocked after donaton (see Registered Users Features above) have no impact on program usability.
  • Biniware Run is written in C#.
  • Biniware Run is tiny- the installer is 130 KB, the executable is 158 KB.
  • Biniware Run is relatively light, under Windows 8 x64 it uses about 13 MB of RAM.
  • Biniware Run is stable- during my tests I did not encounter any problems or crashes.
  • For me adding categories is a bit tricky and unhandy (if I am not missing a simpler way to do that)- add a new shortcut, select a folder, delete path, enter name for the category.
  • The developer- Alexandru Dicu, is the author of the popular program Windows Firewall Control (mentioned here) which was sold to Malwarebytes this year.
Alternatives
A couple of programs with similar functionality:
Details
File details for Biniware Run version 1.0.0.0 (released on 2018-12-12):

==

Name: BrunSetup.exe
File Size: 132608 Byte(s) (129.50 KB)
Modified Date: 2018-12-12 16:04
Version: 1.0.0.0
MD5: b2ab5a371844a12101a934ada1f91727
SHA1: 0176c43a1cf7299fa01b25052ab38b225b8b6bd5
SHA256: efe8689df1839d813f95e9397ee0a6e9413f0f06d6530b2623fe4fa602b330a5
SHA384: ffc201658923c6fb3bf57bf7031debf29e40e7cd959edfae2f2904116ee2c920ab3ad11d0a9abca5c3230a3dd618ea7e
SHA512: 0f6f7c329ec0caa19ea401062b03ca4204558a20db2971d1e5c94e345ed8876632ff2350d702c3645a1022bd5b5f39b6a453ff935377761e8dbb3bcc7242f9f8

==

smaragdus

Re: Biniware Run 1.1.0.0

#2 Post by smaragdus » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Biniware Run at version, 1.1.0.0, changes:
What's new in version 1.1.0.0 (28.12.2018)

- New: The installer was updated to extract the software to 3 predefined locations from where it can be moved anywhere. The software uses now the same folder to save user settings instead of %AppData% folder and is fully portable.
- New: Added support for dropping files, folder and URLs also in the tree view control from the Configuration dialog.
- New: Added new property named StartIn for a shortcut which can be used to define the working directory of the file that is launched.
- New: The position and size of the Configuration window is now saved and restored. The same applies to the width of the tree view.
- New: In the Appearance tab a new 'Reset default appearance' button was added.
- New: Configuration window can stay always on top. This can be enabled or disabled from the Settings tab.
- New: The application has a new icon and identity.
- New: Shortcuts were added: middle mouse click on icon opens the Configuration window, while a shortcut is selected in the tree view, press Enter key to execute it and Delete key to remove it.
- Improved: The mechanism that moves the window back to the visible area of the screen was improved for multiple monitors use.
- Removed: Custom icon support was removed due to a bug with transparent icons.
Note that Biniware Run no longer creates an empty folder in AppData. Since custom icon support was removed now it is totally free. The only difference between the unregistered and the registered versions is the special thank you in the About section.

I contacted the developer asking several questions and I received an immediate and helpful response. It turned out that I missed a simpler and obvious way to to create categories (containers):
To create a category, just add some child nodes under your node.
The latest version (1.1.0.0 ) is a huge improvement over the initial release (1.0.0.0)- now the program is fully portable, more customizable and even easier to use.

Midas

Re: Biniware Run

#3 Post by Midas » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:54 am

Nice. 8)

smaragdus

#4 Post by smaragdus » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:14 pm

@Midas
Midas wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:54 am
Nice. 8)
What is the point of this meaningless post? Such posts by moderators cannot conceal the fact that the forum is dead.

Special

#5 Post by Special » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:05 am

If you ever want to talk to the dev, ask him for features or bug reporting or whatever, he's over at this forum. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads ... un.411208/

Midas

#6 Post by Midas » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:37 am

smaragdus wrote:
Midas wrote: Nice. 8)
What is the point of this meaningless post?
Aren't you the one constantly riling against censorship? What's with the policing of my simple statement of appreciation? I don't post anything I don't mean.

If you wanna know, I was going to ad that I prefer launchbars to menueing systems, but then reconsidered, as that would be somewhat OT...

smaragdus wrote: Such posts by moderators cannot conceal the fact that the forum is dead.
I get your disappointment, I been wishing the forum was more active, too.

I take part of the blame, since I haven't been posting as often as I used to, but IRL got me stuck. I'm aging, too, and haven't gotten any wealthier, much to the contrary, so I have to toil harder.

But no, TPFC isn't dead, even if there's only crickets in the forums, rest assured.

Computing is changing, everyone is going mobile, PC sales have slumped, and the Windows 10 user nightmare doesn't help, but as long as people have to work in MS environments, TPFC won't die. Trust me on this one. :|

webfork

#7 Post by webfork » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:29 pm

smaragdus wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:14 pm
Such posts by moderators cannot conceal the fact that the forum is dead.
We are definitely down on overall forum activity but we still have good site visitation numbers and, at least for me, portable software is solving problems on a daily basis. Once it stops making my life easier, I'll certainly move on.

As to this program, I tested it and unfortunately had some kind of error on Win10. I was going to try and retest in the week ahead.

smaragdus

#8 Post by smaragdus » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:35 pm

@billon
I was not asking you but Midas. Or you have founded a moderators' party? Your post quenched the faint enthusiasm I still had to publish content here. I have already stopped posting at the comments section after Andrew Lee ruined it. I will stop posting in the forum too since it is a waste of time. When I publish a review I do not need any appreciation. I expect either no comments or relevant comments. I consider single word posts like 'Good', 'Nice', 'Great', Excellent', 'Thanks', etc irrelevant as they do not contribute to the discussion at all. As a precaution against such meaningless posts some forums do not allow such short comments. I also do not expect to be called bratushka (here) and comrade (here)- until now I was keeping silent about this nonsense because I don't have time to waste but I will not tolerate this any more. When I post a review I try to keep the quality high (testing the reviewed program, taking screenshots and uploading them, generating hashes, checking links, building lists of similar programs, etc) but this is a waste of time as here in the forum quality no longer matters- after the good posters (in alphabetical order- I am Baas, joby_toss, lautrepay, etc) left the forum the quality of the posts is mediocre at best- Midas and webfork keep pushing untested software, commercial software, Electron software, in most cases they don't even bother to take their own screenshots, their posts are often inconsistent. I no longer want to be part of such unhealthy environment. Your post was the straw that broke the camel's back. Thank you very much.

@Special
In my review I published a link to the forum. Your post is just another example that the meaningless posts are prevalent in this forum.

@Midas
What censorship and policing are you talking about? I just asked a question. I did not understand what was nice- the weather, the moon or something else. Perhaps you are trying to catch up with webfork's posting record? I have had enough of such trash. So thank you too- the moderators (billon and Midas) became my liberators- I have a huge list of programs to review in the future but I will not do that- the moderators managed to exhaust the remnants of my zeal. Being called bratushka and comrade also helped a lot. Thank you very much.

@Andrew Lee
Please delete my account and all my posts.

Midas

#9 Post by Midas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:09 am

Well, that sure escalated quickly.

Let me state clearly that I do not want to see you go, smaragdus.

I really appreciate the work you have been doing here and I'm sure everyone agrees with me on that aspect.

While I strive to abide by community rules, I talk only for my myself.

If you think you can do a better job at moderating TPFC, I'll be glad to relinquish the post.

Otherwise, I regard the whole issue as an excuse to excuse yourself from a commitment that has grown burdensome over time, while bashing others for not standing up to task.

Have a happy new year -- and, should that be the case, a happier life away from TPFC. :|

webfork

#10 Post by webfork » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:41 am

smaragdus wrote:Please delete my account and all my posts.
You've put hundreds of hours of great work into the site, making that disappear would disable a lot of very valuable, well-research tools and resources. I hope you change your mind about their removal.

JohnW

#11 Post by JohnW » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:44 am

A total disaster!
..and all because of one ridiculous post from Midas.
If smaragdus reads this --thanks for all your contributions

billon

#12 Post by billon » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:30 am

I have no words
Everything that is just ridiculous
I will delete my post

__philippe

#13 Post by __philippe » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:35 am

Doctor's diagnosis over curent commotion :
Forum Prima Donna benign cyclothymic tantrum

Doctor's prescription :
Leave patient undisturbed for a couple of days

Doctor's prognosis :
Current agitation will soon subside, patient full recovery to prolific review posting schedule most likely... :wink:

webfork

#14 Post by webfork » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:33 am

__philippe wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:35 am
Doctor's diagnosis
The truth is we've had a lot of intense and opinionated people over the last decade and we need them. They take up the mantle of what is kind of a strange, often thankless project. It's worth the trouble: the programs we highlight by very smart devs get the word out to thousands of people and make people's work on computers less crappy. The rest of the web as I see it right now does bad work with barely transparent article-as-sales-pitch posts and "reviews".

Smaraguds in particular has done exemplary work over the years with terrifically complete posts about OSS and freeware that rival 95% of software home pages for detail and background. It's not just TPFC: Smaragdus' work on github has also been very solid, helping developers with suggestions and feedback. Several programs I use on a daily basis are better because of his efforts.

I very much disagree with any suggestion that Midas is doing a poor job as moderator but I share some of smaragdus' frustrations with the site and his criticisms of my work are valid. We've had a number of conversations about it over the past year but I wasn't able to address some of his fundamental concerns. I'm sad to see him go.

Andrew Lee

#15 Post by Andrew Lee » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:38 pm

@smaragdus: I believe we have the same outllook on this issue. Unfortunately, the world is made up as many different working styles as there are people. So in the end, I choose to focus on my work, and let the others speak for theirs. I am sure in the end quality will speak for itself.

Cheers.