Moo0 System Monitor

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
dtoxic

Moo0 System Monitor

#1 Post by dtoxic »

Great Sidebar System Monitoring tool with small size and full portability (as far as i can tell)

Moo0 System Monitor 32/64 bit in one archive

https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE- ... itor.shtml

Please vote if you like to see it on the front page

https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2974

billon

Re: Moo0 System Monitor

#2 Post by billon »

dtoxic wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:52 pm and full portability (as far as i can tell)
Man, there are two drivers inside the ZIP, you don't even need to test it to tell that it's not "portable" in any possible sense.

dtoxic wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:52 pm Please vote if you like to see it on the front page
What are you doing

dtoxic

#3 Post by dtoxic »

billon wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:03 pm
dtoxic wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:52 pm and full portability (as far as i can tell)
Man, there are two drivers inside the ZIP, you don't even need to test it to tell that it's not "portable" in any possible sense.

dtoxic wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:52 pm Please vote if you like to see it on the front page
What are you doing
the two drivers are not installed on the system, as far as i can tell they are read from the folder (maybe i am wrong?)

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

dtoxic wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:52 pm Great Sidebar System Monitoring tool with small size and full portability (as far as i can tell)
Welcome to the site and thanks for the post -- that program does look really solid. Can you detail where it saves settings?

I recommend posting about a program before adding to the database just so it can be tested ahead of doing all the work associated with creating an entry. We've highlighted a number of Moo0 tools over time (e.g. their Video Cutter and Image Type Converter), some of which I use from time to time, but most of the tools (apart from the File Monitor https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1983) have come back as non-portable.

dtoxic

#5 Post by dtoxic »

webfork wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:03 am
dtoxic wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:52 pm Great Sidebar System Monitoring tool with small size and full portability (as far as i can tell)
Welcome to the site and thanks for the post -- that program does look really solid. Can you detail where it saves settings?

I recommend posting about a program before adding to the database just so it can be tested ahead of doing all the work associated with creating an entry. We've highlighted a number of Moo0 tools over time (e.g. their Video Cutter and Image Type Converter), some of which I use from time to time, but most of the tools (apart from the File Monitor https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1983) have come back as non-portable.
Hi, yeah i noticed the way i posted and some other users that i need to get used to some things here so i hope i did not break any rules.

As for the program i used RegfromApp by nirsoft to check weather the program adds any registry entry and i did not find any.
the only registry entry that is added is the one i added my self so the program would start on system boot (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)
the save data is stored in a folder named "savedata" in form of XML "SaveData.xml" and so far i can tell the program does not copy anything anywhere (although there is an option to set it to start on system boot,and thus presumably would create a reg key entry somewhere i did not use that option so i dont have any info on that)

any dll/driver in the program folder is read from that folder and not copied anywhere (again as far as i could test it) i hope also that someone else will give it a go and give their opinion on this

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

dtoxic wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:30 am Hi, yeah i noticed the way i posted and some other users that i need to get used to some things here so i hope i did not break any rules.
We have the functionality to add programs to enable developers to quickly add their software to the database, but if you're not 100% if something falls under the portable umbrella, it's best to start with the submission forum.
dtoxic wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:30 amany dll/driver in the program folder is read from that folder and not copied anywhere (again as far as i could test it) i hope also that someone else will give it a go and give their opinion on this
Thanks for the detail I unfortunately wasn't able to test the program as I have a 32-bit machine. Maybe someone else can put this through the paces.

Also, I was confused about the WinRing license included in the program. It talks about source code, but there's no code included with the download.

dtoxic

#7 Post by dtoxic »

webfork wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:41 pm
dtoxic wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:30 am Hi, yeah i noticed the way i posted and some other users that i need to get used to some things here so i hope i did not break any rules.
We have the functionality to add programs to enable developers to quickly add their software to the database, but if you're not 100% if something falls under the portable umbrella, it's best to start with the submission forum.
dtoxic wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:30 amany dll/driver in the program folder is read from that folder and not copied anywhere (again as far as i could test it) i hope also that someone else will give it a go and give their opinion on this
Thanks for the detail I unfortunately wasn't able to test the program as I have a 32-bit machine. Maybe someone else can put this through the paces.

Also, I was confused about the WinRing license included in the program. It talks about source code, but there's no code included with the download.

In the download there is a32/64 *.exe i personally deleted the 32bit because i do not use it but you can try that one if you wish
also did some more testingsearching my system, and cant find anything related to this program that would qualify as a "leaving a trace" maybe someone more tech savvy could check that out
as for the "WinRing" that's not even used on my system, but then again i only got some basic info enabled in the program so i cant tell if its used in some other manner