Bitser (DotNET Archive Manager)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Midas

Bitser (DotNET Archive Manager)

#1 Post by Midas »

I haven't found Bitser around and it looks like a decent 7z based archive manager in active development, so it's time it got a post.

DotNET requirement is v4 and, sadly, Bitser isn't natively portable -- there's only an installer executable for download and after iterating through (Uni)extraction and Lessmsi, I found out it wanted to save its settings to '%APPDATA%' -- and that's as far as I went.
Bitser is free windows software for managing archives and backups similar to WinZip, 7-zip and WinRAR but with an alternate user interface. Bitser's interface is built around the file system with explorer style views, and features similar to those found in backup applications. All underlying archiving functions are performed using the open source 7-zip compression software and therefore all major archiving formats are supported. Bitser also provides a password manager and MD5/SHA checksum calculator to verify file identity. Bitser is free software...

Bitser latest release (currently v1.5.0) can be downloaded from https://www.bitser.org/download_zip.shtml.

webfork

Re: Bitser (DotNET Archive Manager)

#2 Post by webfork »

Nice program. I definitely like the password manager, I think that's a great idea. I know the thing computes hash values, but does it SAVE the hash value for the file somewhere as part of the compression process? I couldn't figure that out.

License appears to be freeware.