[Vote] Key InFormer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
user

[Vote] Key InFormer

#1 Post by user »

I tried to delete this thread but I did not find the delete\remove button!

Admins please, delete this thread!

By the way, sorry for disturbing!
Last edited by user on Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:55 am, edited 11 times in total.

billon

Re: Key InFormer

#2 Post by billon »

user wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 pm in order to know what keystrokes\mouse-clicks my devices, such as keyboards\Mouses\Gamepads\etc, send to Windows OS
why you even need to know that?

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

billon wrote: why you even need to know that?
UI optimization, for one...

user

#4 Post by user »

billon wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:02 amwhy you even need to know that?
I have Keyboards, mouses and even gamepads with too many extra buttons that I really don't know what keystrokes\mouse-clicks\etc they send to windows Os!

With this this tool, which is 100% portable and I can carry it with me wherever I go, I can know instantly what keystrokes\mouse-clicks a device's button sends to windows!

For example, I have a mouse in which one of its buttons used to send "LCtrl + 0" to windows and I always thought that only "LCtrl" was sent, and that can cause a lot of problems! (I fixed the problem by using the mouse software to remap the button from "LCtrl + 0" to "LCtrl")

With this tool, I found out that, my laptop "Right Alt" button, actually sends "LControl down + RAlt down + LControl up + RAlt up", really, I really don't know why it sends the "LControl" keystroke, but, after knowing that, it really allowed me to avoid a lot of problems, for example, remapping keys while playing games, etc, etc!

Some devices buttons even send 3,4 or more different keystrokes\Mouse-clicks to windows at once without you knowing that!

Well, to be honest, this tool already saved me a lot of headaches while remapping devices buttons for playing games, for automation tasks and other purposes!

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

user wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 am With this tool, I found out that, my laptop "Right Alt" button, actually sends "LControl down + RAlt down + LControl up + RAlt up", really, I really don't know why it sends the "LControl" keystroke, but, after knowing that, it really allowed me to avoid a lot of problems, for example, remapping keys while playing games, etc, etc!
Some keyboard layouts have an AltGr key in place of right Alt. Internally, Windows represents AltGr as Ctrl + Alt, and thus generates both Ctrl and Alt keypresses when AltGr is pressed.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

Re: [Vote] Key InFormer

#6 Post by webfork »

@user:
Are you the dev? I had some concerns here:

* Uses the PortableApps Icon, which is going to cause confusion and is a trademark issue
* Not real clear on what I'd use this for. "Remapping devices buttons for playing games" isn't something I generally do and I'm not sure what automation tasks this would apply to.
* License unclear. Softpedia seems to think the Key InFormer is freeware and the MultiString search is a Demo ... nothing on the site I could find about that.
* The site entry description doesn't follow site format

webfork

Re: [Vote] Key InFormer

#7 Post by webfork »

So the author updated his entry to the following:
I tried to delete this thread but I did not find the delete\remove button!

Admins please, delete this thread!

By the way, sorry for disturbing!
I'm sorry that our criticism made you feel unwelcome. It may not seem like it but we really are trying to help: there's a lot of new, free software out there and it's hard to distinguish what's a vague, alpha project versus a real gem that a lot of people should be using. Sometimes in trying to weed out the junk, we only see issues and not potential.