WuMgr (Update Manager for Windows) by DavidXanatos
Ultimately among all that things that are wrong with windows 10, the forced updates is in the end the biggest issue.
The windows world needs not just a replacement for the retired Win 7/8 update Control Panel, but a tool that would give the users back control over their updates including the ability to automatically install updates by category, for example to delay all feature upgrades i.e. windows re-installation, or choose to only automatically install updates which do not require a reboot, granting the user full control of when his PC will need to reboot.
Given the importance of such a tool to the windows world, a proprietary solution is not satisfying, the longevity and continuation of the tool is of paramount importance.
Hence this tool is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 3 and all sources are public on git-hub: https://github.com/DavidXanatos/wumgr/ anyone is welcome to contribute as long as they follow the rules of the GPL v3 and release their contributions not just in binary form but with full source code.
- Ability to auto download wsusscn2.cab for "offline" search for updates (like when wuauserv is blocked in the firewall)
- Ability to "manually" (that is without the use of wuauserv or the windows agent API) download found updates to disk (useful when windows updates access to Microsoft servers is blocked)
- Ability to block automatic windows update on pro/home editions of windows 10 by setting the WSUS servers to " " as described in the "Windows Restricted Traffic Limited Functionality Baseline" from M$
- hides the windows update page from the settings app when automatic updates are disabled
- Install "manually" downloaded updates without using the windows update agent API
- To better integrate with means of blocking automatic windows update on windows 10 editions which do not respect the Group Policies.
- To provide an optional user friendly automatic update mechanism which (service/background)
- never forces a reboot !!! (when needed disable wuauserv untill user reboots)
- only searched for updates when the PC is not in use (optional)
- allows the user to select what class of updates to install, for example avoid feature upgrades or only install critical security patches, etc
- simply put an automatic update mechanism based on consent and not violence, updates are like 6
- more to come...