Falkon (lightweight web browser; formerly Qupzilla)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Midas

Falkon (lightweight web browser; formerly Qupzilla)

#1 Post by Midas »

Well, Qupzilla (viewtopic.php?t=14412) development may have been arrested but not its successor Falkon (https://www.falkon.org/), as proven by a 3 months old new release. Falkon still claims portability (untested!), reason enough to give it a dedicated topic in order to keep tabs on it.
Falkon is a KDE web browser using QtWebEngine rendering engine, previously known as QupZilla. It aims to be a lightweight web browser available through all major platforms. This project has been originally started only for educational purposes. But from its start, Falkon has grown into a feature-rich browser. Falkon has all standard functions you expect from a web browser. It includes bookmarks, history (both also in sidebar) and tabs. Above that, it has by default enabled blocking ads with a built-in AdBlock plugin.

Falkon latest 32 and 64-bit Windows release (currently v3.0.1) can be downloaded from https://www.falkon.org/download/.
You can choose between Standard (system-wide) installation and Portable installation which only extracts files and setup the application to run in portable mode by default.

webfork

Re: Falkon (lightweight web browser; formerly Qupzilla)

#2 Post by webfork »

So I tested out Falkon, which I found underwhelming. The fonts are quite small, there's little in the way of features, a lot of options were unclear to me and menus seemed unfinished. The program seems to work okay but I'm just not sure what's attractive beyond built-in adblock and lower RAM usage vs. other browsers.

That said, I am glad someone's at least trying to make a different browser. I need another Chromium front-end like I need a hole in the head.

Resources: 200 megs disk space, 240 megs RAM on win10x64

bitcoin

Re: Falkon (lightweight web browser; formerly Qupzilla)

#3 Post by bitcoin »

reminds me of Otter Browser

had to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
no easy way to prevent 3rd party cookies that i can see

other than that its decent

would be nice if these browsers had a built-in element blocker or hider without having to install an add-on
uBlock Origin provides an easy to use one but not all browsers support it