Need help with some software

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
DarkestHope

Need help with some software

#1 Post by DarkestHope » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:43 pm

Hey there guys, just wanted to ask if anyone knows the right software to create custom whiteboard animation like this https://topexplainers.com/whiteboard-video/ ? My boss gave me the task to make a 30 second brief video for our company during the next 2 weeks and I am not sure what programm to use since I am only common with Sony Vegas and Adobe AE and they do not quite provide any required tools for that. Any advices would help alot, won't also mind some tutorials on that topic, thanks in advance!

Midas

Re: Need help with some software

#2 Post by Midas » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:27 am

Don't have any answer but, just to be clear, here's a definition.
What is Whiteboard Animation?

Whiteboard Animation is just a video creating process which is created using different objects or animations. To be precise Whiteboard animation videos are the videos in which the creator is not present himself or herself but the video draws itself i.e. on the video it will show a hand drawing objects, shapes or pretty much everything.

Specular

#3 Post by Specular » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:30 am

I would have thought After Effects was perfect for this, unless I'm just unwittingly falling for a spam topic.

Midas

#4 Post by Midas » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:32 am

Specular wrote: ... unless I'm just unwittingly falling for a spam topic.
Don't you worry. If that's the case, the problem will solve itself... ;)

DarkestHope

#5 Post by DarkestHope » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Midas wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:27 am
Don't have any answer but, just to be clear, here's a definition.
Thanks for that, guess I will be trying some of these sofwares today.
Specular wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:30 am
I would have thought After Effects was perfect for this, unless I'm just unwittingly falling for a spam topic.
Can you give some more info on that please? I've tried to google some info but the only video I've found useful was not deatiled enough. So I need some more help since it is my first time actually making an animation instead of simple editing.

Specular

#6 Post by Specular » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:11 pm

DarkestHope wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:53 pm
Can you give some more info on that please? I've tried to google some info but the only video I've found useful was not deatiled enough. So I need some more help since it is my first time actually making an animation instead of simple editing.
Wouldn't be able to help there since I don't use it personally but do know its capable since it's frequently used for motion graphics/animation and is set up to handle other aspects related to this type of purpose, such as keying (removing the background of a video for compositing, seen used in 'whiteboard' animations for hands and such), and masking (hiding/revealing parts of an image).

Thing is, it mightn't be as straightforward if you're looking for something more simplified, but if you know what you want to accomplish there are tutorials for AE out there for animation and compositing. May be a bit out of scope for absorbing in two weeks but who knows :)

webfork

#7 Post by webfork » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:31 am

I didn't think "whiteboard video" was a thing, but evidently there are several programs that do this. There are a ton of basic animation programs out there that you could then convert to the grayscale, but I don't know of any in the freeware realm.

https://www.wowmakers.com/blog/explaine ... -software/

PowToon is the one that comes to mind and is the one I've been wanting to test for some time now but, again, not free.
Sony Vegas and Adobe AE
Those are good for video edition and might be useful in some way down the line, but definitely not the place to start.

---

DarkestHope: could you add something to the thread title around what you're looking for e.g. "Need help with some software (whiteboard animation)" I'm always referencing other threads for whatever I'm working on and that would make this easier to find in the future. Thanks!