RoundCal - a circular calendar

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

RoundCal - a circular calendar

#1 Post by webfork »

From a developer who's work has been submitted many times (Cylog), a round calendar. I'm not sure what it's for apart from just being a neat idea that could be used in a unique calendar setup.

Synopsis:
RoundCal is a unique program that generates round calendars. Perceiving the year as "round" is something that several ancient civilizations have done, sadly though our calendars of today are usually presented as sets of rectangular grids... As the Earth revolves around the Sun in an almost perfect circular orbit, our seasons and months can be represented as circular arches on it. RoundCal is bringing this concept to your desktop and it has interesting practical uses.

It stores calendars in bitmaps, highlights dates of interest and can illustrate a 52 week calendar (almost a full year) in a round shape.
The text, eyedropper, fill/erase, etc. don't seem to do anything. You can set colors (the ones show are not default) and choose a date format when hovering over a location. You can highlight dates for events (as Oct 31 is here), but it's not terribly intuitive.

The set pictured below is from Jan 2 to Dec 31, 2018. The gray days that have already passed and the light green are weekends:

Homepage: https://www.cylog.org/graphics/roundcal.jsp

License: Freeware

This is a very old program that's still detailed as being in Beta, so I don't imagine there's much more that will happen to it, but it's an interesting program that might spark something in the future.

Wishlist:

* More labels (detailing which month is which)
* Integration with desktop, ICS calendar format
* Export to vector formats (seems to support Adobe Illustrator but I don't think it's functional)
* Color themes