VideoCacheView

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
vmars316

Re: VideoCacheView

#31 Post by vmars316 »

win7 x64
1) run chrome
2) show image/video
3) close chrome
4) run videocacehview as admin (shows 4600 files)
5) select files to delete
6) click on delete (red-X or DEL-key)
7) program show 4600 files, some are marked with PINK

I still can't get this pgm to delete any displayed.
Pls, what am I doing wrong?
THanks..vm

__philippe

#32 Post by __philippe »

The entries highlighted in pink are most probably pointer to files of size 0.
Deleting non-pink entries within VideoCacheView works fine for me (under win XP)

Another way to actually delete those pesky Chrome cache entries would be to use CCleaner :

Code: Select all

Applications->Google Chrome->tick Internet Cache
__philippe

JohnW

VideoCacheView

#33 Post by JohnW »

A few years ago VideoCacheView was one of my 'Go To' programs.
I had recourse to try and use it recently and was very disappointed.
Most of the time I use IE11. VCV doesn't seem to find any videos!
If I use Chrome then I have more success but I don't want to use Chrome.
Investigating further it seems that VCW does not recognise some of the video formats.
So .ts files seem to be ignored. My understanding is that Nil Sofer does not discuss his software.
Hence this post. Is there a VERY similar program that examines caches or have I missed something in VCV?

billon

#34 Post by billon »

IECacheView?

Also:
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/video_cache_view.html wrote: Notice for users of Internet Explorer 10.0 and 11.0: In order to get videos from these versions of IE, you have to press F6 (Advanced Options) and choose the 'Internet Explorer 10 Cache' option in the 'Load video files...' section.
:?:

JohnW

#35 Post by JohnW »

@billon
First of all thanks for your quick response and your suggestions, particularly the second.
As you might have expected I did try IECacheView but I got mixed results. Some .ts files showed up and were viewable but they were cut very short and the layout was wrong. I tried running a few Youtube videos - no sign of them.

Your second suggestion was useful. I had missed this option.
It didn't help at first but I then realised that you need to also select 'Temporary Internet Files'.
But the .ts files were chopped and the wrong format. Again, no sign of the Youtube vids.

I actually think VCV has become a bit of a dog's dinner!

In passing, why after deleting all the video cache do many files remain displayed? It's always been like this but seems strange to me.

__philippe

#36 Post by __philippe »

@JohnW

The original video file is deliberately sliced into multiple "*.TS" fragments, to make recovery difficult.
Those fragments must be reassembled to produce a complete video file.
From the video cache, it's a rather tedious manual process, which can be achieved nevertheless if you positively have to recover a specific original file:

Code: Select all

1 Save every relevant fragment that pertain to the original file (individual fragments time-stamp is a good clue)
2 Concatenate individual fragments into a single video file with help of ffmpeg
Let me know if you are interested by the gory details of an old ffmpeg CLI batch file, improvised ages ago to lick a similar problem... ;-)

billon

#37 Post by billon »

JohnW wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:43 am Again, no sign of the Youtube vids.
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/video_cache_view.html wrote: YouTube Videos

Currently, YouTube uses 2 WebM streams (one video stream and one audio stream) in every video you watch. VideoCacheView can extract these streams, but it cannot merge them into one file. You can still play the video and audio separately with VLC media player or use other video tools to merge the 2 WebM streams into one.
However, If you use an old Web browser that doesn't support WebM streams or you disable the WebM feature of your Web browser, then YouTube will use mp4 streams and VideoCacheView will extract these mp4 streams and then merge them into one file using GPAC software.

When there is no webm supports, YouTube uses 2 mp4 streams (one video stream and one audio stream) and VideoCacheView will extract the 2 streams files as mpegdashtmp1.mp4 and mpegdashtmp2.mp4
In order to merge these 2 mp4 streams into one, you have to download and install the following open source software package: GPAC.

After you install this software, VideoCacheView automatically detect it and uses MP4Box installed as a part of GPAC package to merge the 2 mp4 streams into a single mp4 file.

JohnW

#38 Post by JohnW »

@philippe
Your reply certainly explained one aspect of my problem.
I seemed to be getting multiple fragments of the same stream although I found it incomplete.
I won't take advantage of your offer. I'll use an entirely different approach - Bandicam or similar.
I have been trying to capture live streaming webcams.

@billon
I did see this on the Nirsoft site but it fell into my too difficult basket.
Within IE11 I can play Webm videos.
I don't really know if my IE actually supports it. I can sometimes fail to play HTML5 videos.
My real point though was that there no signs of anything from Youtube.
I only played a couple of YT vids as a test; if I was interested then I would download.

Anyway guys - your efforts much appreciated!

__philippe

#39 Post by __philippe »

@JohnW

You probably know that already, but just in case...;-)

Simplest/leanest tool to download YouTube videos : YouTubePal

Will locate the actual video file pointed to when clicking YouTube "copy Video URL" tab and download it,
even providing a selection of available Formats/Resolutions.
Last edited by __philippe on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnW

#40 Post by JohnW »

@philippe
Thanks for the heads up. Always interested in a Forum member's suggestion.
I personally have used 4K Video Downloader for many years, mainly because it coped with other sites such a DailyMotion and Vimeo etc.
For some reason I couldn't find it in the TPFC database or forum.
I remember seeing YoutubePal on the Forum some time ago; I'll take a look at it.

vmars316

VideoCacheViewer can't find Chrome files

#41 Post by vmars316 »

Hello & Thanks ,
win 10:
VideoCacheViewer can't find Chrome Cache files .
Can only find Iexplorer and mozill/firefox
And the files that is does find can't be read .
Is there a special program that can read these files ?
Thanks
Attachments
WindowsMediaPlayer-can'tPlayCacheMp4Files.png
WindowsMediaPlayer-can'tPlayCacheMp4Files.png (9.15 KiB) Viewed 13338 times

thepiney

Re: VideoCacheViewer can't find Chrome files

#42 Post by thepiney »

As the attachment shows an error/message from "Windows Media Player" I would say you don't have the correct codecs installed as it says. Is WMP your default media player? Are you getting a list of files in "VideoCacheViewer" at all that you are clicking on or is WMP opening the files automatically?

Perhaps there was a recent change in the cache location for Chrome that VideoCacheViewer hasn't corrected?

bitcoin

#43 Post by bitcoin »

__philippe wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:18 am @JohnW

You probably know that already, but just in case...;-)

Simplest/leanest tool to download YouTube videos : YouTubePal

Will locate the actual video file pointed to when clicking YouTube "copy Video URL" tab and download it,
even providing a selection of available Formats/Resolutions.
3DYD seems quite a bit better fwiw - many different audio and video options, subtitles, etc

vmars316

#44 Post by vmars316 »

Thanks