For years I have been using FSL Launcher (the portable version which is not free) but it hasn't been updated for years and most likely it is abandoned for good. So I was searching for an alternative. For quite some time I have been testing Pinner, a customizable and feature-rich launcher. Since version 184.108.40.206 (from 2018-05-25) Pinner is fully portable so it deserves to be reviewed.
FeaturesPinner is a software to have all your favorite files, folders, and websites together.
From version 2.6.0, everything is saved in the root folder. No registry is needed. But if you already used it before 2.6.0 you can import your pins from Tools->Import Pins.. and all your pins will be added to your database.
- Different types of pins can be added- files/folders/links;
- Pins can be organized into groups;
- Pins can be executed via shortcut keys, which can be enabled/disabled;
- Support for arguments;
- Pins can be shown as icons or details;
- Pins can be sorted in different ways (filter pins) - Alphabetically, FIFO (First in first out), LIFO (Last in first out), Special order, Ordered by groups;
- Pins can be added to favorites (favorites bar);
- Search - search all pins or search current group;
- Rich context menu;
- Open pins as administrator;
- Tray control- minimize to tray/close to tray, groups and pins are shown and can be executed from tray menu;
- Stay on top;
- Automatic, customizable backup;
- Program can be called via global shortcut key;
- Date and time shown in the status bar;
- Project - SourceForge
- Publisher - SourceForge
Direct download links for Pinner version 220.127.116.11 (released on 2018-05-25):
- Pinner Website:
Pinner version 18.104.22.168 - all pins - icons/details (animated image):
Pinner version 22.214.171.124 - grouped pins - icons/details (animated image):
Pinner version 126.96.36.199 - menu bar (animated image):
Pinner version 188.8.131.52 - program options (animated image):
Pinner version 184.108.40.206 - new pin (animated image):
Pinner version 220.127.116.11 - context menu (static image):
Pinner version 18.104.22.168 - hotkeys manager (static image):
Pinner version 22.214.171.124 - filter pins (static image):
Pinner version 126.96.36.199 - tray control (static image):
Pinner version 188.8.131.52 - about (static image):
Before Pinner used absolute paths for databases and settings, from version 184.108.40.206 the prgram uses relative paths so it is portable and stealth. Databases and settings are saved in data sub-folder inside program folder, backups are saved in backup folder inside program folder. The log file (Pinner.exe.log) is not created by Pinner but by CLR (Common Language Runtime).
- Download the archive (7Z, RAR, ZIP or SFX);
- Extract the archive to a folder of your choice;
- Run the executable (Pinner.exe);
Pinner should run under Windows 7 or higher, it requires .NET Framework 4.6 or higher and Microsoft Visual C++ 2015.
Pinner is closed-source, unrestricted freeware.
Pinner version 220.127.116.11 uses about 71 MB of RAM under Windows 8 x64.
The developer, Sami Jildeh, is open to suggestions, he has implemented every single feature I have suggested.
Another program by the same developer- Notes Keeper, has also been reviewed in the forum.
There is a bunch of other useful tools by the same developer which I may review later as well.
A couple of programs with similar functionality:
File details for Pinner version 18.104.22.168 (released on 2018-05-25):
File Size: 1740993 Byte(s) (1.66 MB)
Modified Date: 2018-05-25 16:43
File Size: 2036895 Byte(s) (1.94 MB)
Modified Date: 2018-05-25 16:49
File Size: 2855183 Byte(s) (2.72 MB)
Modified Date: 2018-05-25 16:50
File Size: 2296479 Byte(s) (2.19 MB)
Modified Date: 2018-05-25 16:48