I often contact developers requesting portable version or option to run a program in portable mode. When a developer implements portable mode as a way to express my gratitude I write a short review about that program here in the forum. Some time ago I asked the developer of Screen Capture + Print for providing an option to use the program in portable mode and yesterday he released a new version which is portable and stealth. My initial request was a bit more sophisticated- I suggested command line arguments, portable flags, etc, because I know that usually developers insist on using AppData as default settings location. But the developer, Markus Ottiger, came with a more straightforward, better solution- he made Screen Capture + Print portable by default (details below).
FeaturesScreen Capture + Print is a free software for Windows™ (freeware) and allows to capture the screen content or a part of it. Then it can easily be copied to the clipboard, saved as a picture and printed directly. There are also a few basic image-editing features, including: rotation, grayscale conversion (B&W), inversion (negative), and automatic image orientation adjustment to paper orientation on printout.
- Capture of any requested screen area:
- Click on icon in task bar and use the mouse to drag requested selection.
- Ctrl+PrtSc can be used to start capturing a screen area including open menus and tool tips.
- Capture of full screen:
- Click on icon and then click on desktop once; or use menu "Capture Desktop".
- Shift+PrtSc can be used to capture the full screen including open menus and tool tips.
- Capture of a single window with or without frame:
- Menu "Capture Window", then click on title bar or content within window.
- Ctrl+Shift+PrtSc can be used to start capturing a single window or part of it.
- Display of pixel size of the selected area.
- Support of desktops spanning multiple monitors.
- Support of transparent windows and screen areas.
- Support of windows displaying video (without hardware video overlay).
- Output of captured screen area to clipboard for further use in other applications.
- Direct printing of captured screen area.
- Saving captured screen area to file (JPG GIF BMP PNG TIF).
- The latest selections of output path and format will be kept as settings.
- New: Automatically adjust the image orientation to paper orientation when printing.
- New: Image adjustments before output: rotate, grayscale (b/w), invert (negative).
- Setting to start the program automatically on Windows startup.
Direct Download Links for Screen Capture + Print:
Screen Capture + Print version 1.32 - image output (static image):
Screen Capture + Print version 1.32 - image output (animated image):
Screen Capture + Print version 1.32 - tray:
Screen Capture + Print version 1.32 - about:
Screen Capture + Print was not portable until version 1.31, it used to save settings in ScreenCapturePrint.prf file in AppData. From version 1.32 settings file (ScreenCapturePrint.prf) is saved in program folder if it is not write-protected:
InstructionsNote from the User Guide:
The program remembers the program settings in a file named "ScreenCapturePrint.prf", which is preferably stored in the same directory as the program itself (portable application). If this directory is read-only, that file will instead be stored in the user's default application data directory (AppData). If for some reason setting files exist in both places, then the settings are read from the file changed more recently.
- Download the archive (English version - ScreenCapturePrintEN.zip, German version - ScreenCapturePrintDE.zip);
- Extract the archive to a folder of your choice;
- Run the executable (ScreenCapturePrint.exe);
- Microsoft Windows™ 7/8/10.
- Less than 1 MB disk space.
Screen Capture + Print is unrestricted freeware.
I would like to thank the developer- Markus Ottiger, for releasing Screen Capture + Print as fully portable program.
Screen Capture + Print comes with detailed manual (ScreenCapturePrint.pdf).
Screen Capture + Print is tiny (as of version 1.32 the executable is only 485 KB), light (it uses about 8 MB of RAM under Windows 8 x64), easy to use, minimalistic yet handy and it is in active development so I plan to submit it to the database.
- Free Shooter
File details for Screen Capture + Print version 1.32 (released on 2018-05-22):
Screen Capture + Print - English version:
File Size: 639431 Byte(s) (624.44 KB)
Modified Date: 2018-05-22 15:08
Screen Capture + Print - German version:
File Size: 645603 Byte(s) (630.47 KB)
Modified Date: 2018-05-22 15:07