Sokoban YASC - puzzle game

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
shnbwmn

Sokoban YASC - puzzle game

#1 Post by shnbwmn »

A very richly featured implementation of the Sokoban puzzle game

Sokoban YASC, like Wesnoth, has been around for a while. In fact, it was one of the first open source projects I came across (thanks OpenCD).

I recently emailed the developer (Brian Damgaard) about portability and he kindly created a portable installation BAT file.
  1. Install setup program. Then run:
  2. Click_me_to_install_YASC_portable.zip
    (1.08 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
  3. Uninstall the setup program.
  4. Launch the game with YASC.bat
The developer has expressed interest in user feedback on this portable version, so if you tried this out then please leave a few remarks here.

Edit Cleaned up for clarity.
Last edited by shnbwmn on Sat May 19, 2018 2:02 am, edited 9 times in total.

JohnW

Re: SokobanYASC

#2 Post by JohnW »

First - thanks to shnbwmn for the post.
I initially came across this sort of puzzle when I encountered KYE on my Windows 2 system. A long time ago but I certainly got hooked at that stage.
Of course I have subsequently used a few Sokoban variants. But I don't want to post a game review.
Rather I would just comment on the portability aspect.
I certainly didn't like the idea of installing the setup program. If this were a requirement of all portable programs the interest in them would have wained a long time ago.
Still, I did what I was told. It worked. The portable version seems to function well even after I uninstalled the 'setup' version
Further, the portable programs I use are stored on my hard drive. I don't foresee any issues for me with SokobanYASC.
I would still hope for an improvement - I can't help thinking that John T Haller could produce a "real" portable!

shnbwmn

Re: Sokoban YASC

#3 Post by shnbwmn »

JohnW wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:43 am I can't help thinking that John T Haller could produce a "real" portable!
@JohnW: I think this program would make an excellent addition to PortableApps. AFAIK PA doesn't have a Sokoban game yet.
This one is particularly good, time-tested, open source and the dev is open and responsive.
Last edited by shnbwmn on Sat May 19, 2018 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

shnbwmn

#4 Post by shnbwmn »

The BAT file is also present on Sourceforge within source package > YASC_1_651_src.zip
Last edited by shnbwmn on Sat May 19, 2018 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnW

#5 Post by JohnW »

Clear as mud!!!
Editing the OP did not help understanding.
Unless I've missed something we're now in the situation of...
Download the setup file and Uniextract to a folder of your choice. Job done!
There is no longer a BAT file etc
But thanks again for your efforts shnbwmn

shnbwmn

#6 Post by shnbwmn »

No, don't Uniextract setup. The process has not changed. Install setup program, copy BAT code to text doc and rename to {whateveryouwant}.bat, run BAT, indicate where you want portable installation, and done. You can then uninstall the setup program.

Edit: I've zipped the BAT and uploaded it as an attachment in the OP.

JohnW

#7 Post by JohnW »

OK - I can see Uniextract is not the answer. Now that the BAT file is available for the latest setup file, I've been able to follow instructions up to a point. The 'click me to install portable bat' file does NOT actually allow me to install to a folder of my choice. It installs to a subfolder inside the BAT file. I tried twice. Of course I could locate it but frankly I'm just not bothered any more!
I will just state that I don't like the way you post and edit. I prefer that a post is generally unchanged and necessary changes are dealt with in a new post. That way it's easier to follow a thread.

shnbwmn

#8 Post by shnbwmn »

JohnW wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:24 am OK - I can see Uniextract is not the answer. Now that the BAT file is available for the latest setup file, I've been able to follow instructions up to a point. The 'click me to install portable bat' file does NOT actually allow me to install to a folder of my choice. It installs to a subfolder inside the BAT file. I tried twice. Of course I could locate it but frankly I'm just not bothered any more!
Are you referring to the settings subfolder?? Here's the procedure on my end:

Spoiler!   
Spoiler!   
Spoiler!   
Spoiler!   
Image Image Image

Agreed completely about the editing. Apologies.. it is my mistake.