Daram Renamer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

Daram Renamer

#1 Post by smaragdus »

Preamble
A couple of days ago I came upon another free and open source file renamer- Daram Renamer, which turned out to be a capable, easy to use and well-designed program.

Synopsis
Daram Renamer is a batch file rename tool which supports many renaming options.

Features
  • Renaming Options
    • Replace Plain Text
    • Concatenate Text
    • Trimming Filename
    • Delete Blocked Text
    • Delete Filename
    • Substring
    • Casecast Filename
    • Add Extension
    • Delete Extension
    • Change Extension
    • Casecast Extension
    • Delete without Numbers
    • Matching Number count
    • Add Index Numbers
    • Numbers Increase or Decrease
    • Add Date
  • Other Options
    • Drag&Drop
    • Context Menu
    • Sort
    • Undo
    • Redo
    • Copy Mode (renamed files are copied)
    • Move Mode (files are renamed)
Links
Project
Download
License
Issues
Publisher
Softpedia

Downloads
GitHub releases

Images

Daram Renamer version 3.400 - program window:

Daram Renamer version 3.200 - program window:

Daram Renamer version 3.200 - program in action - animated image:

Portability
Daram Renamer is portable by design- settings are saved in JSON file (DaramRenamer.config.json) inside program folder.

Instructions
  • Download the archive;
  • Extract the archive to a folder of your choice;
  • Run the executable (DaramRenamer.exe)
Requirements
Daram Renamer requires .NET Framework 4.6 and can run on Windows 7 or higher.

License
Daram Renamer is licensed under MIT License.

Note
Until version 3.200 Daram Renamer used a nice icon set- Silk Icons but from version 3.300 the program uses a dull, monochrome icon set- Syncfusion Metro Studio Icons which is a pain for my eyes so I used version 3.200 for tests.
I opened an issue requesting an option to use the old toolbar icon set but it was rejected by the developer. For me the new toolbar icons are unbearable so I do not plan to update version 3.200.
Update check cannot be disabled in settings.
Daram Renamer uses about 60 MB of RAM on my machine (Windows 8 x64).

Alternatives ==

FileHandler

Re: Daram Renamer

#2 Post by FileHandler »

I also prefer the colored toolbar.
In general, I don't see a reason to give up on functional designs in favor of fads that waste space - like the ribbon - or "stylish" monochromes that keep me guessing and searching. It's not distraction-free if I have to shift my attention to cryptic buttons or cluttered ribbons. The classic, customizable toolbar is still my favorite.

smaragdus

Re: Daram Renamer 3.500

#3 Post by smaragdus »

Daram Renamer at version 3.500, changes:

Daram Renamer 3.500
  • Option to save and load window state (#9)
  • Option to use the old toolbar icon set (#10)
  • Licenses tab changed to About tab (#11)
  • Fixed undo/redo (#12)
  • Fixed list sort (#13)
Switch from default toolbar icons to silk toolbar icons:
  • 1. Download famfamfam_silk_icon.zip.
  • 2. Do Not unzip this icon pack. Just copy to same directory of Daram Renamer.
  • 3. Open DaramRenamer.config.json, and Edit "toolbar_icon_pack" element from null or other to "famfamfam_silk_icon".
In short, line

Code: Select all

"toolbar_icon_pack":null
should be changed to

Code: Select all

"toolbar_icon_pack":"famfamfam_silk_icon"
Images

Daram Renamer version 3.500 - default toolbar icons:

Daram Renamer version 3.500 - silk toolbar icons:

Daram Renamer version 3.500 - settings:

I would like to thank again the developer- Jin Jae-yeon, for allowing the users to use the old toolbar icon set with the new versions of Daram Renamer!

smaragdus

#4 Post by smaragdus »

@FileHandler
FileHandler wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:11 pm I also prefer the colored toolbar.
In general, I don't see a reason to give up on functional designs in favor of fads that waste space - like the ribbon - or "stylish" monochromes that keep me guessing and searching. It's not distraction-free if I have to shift my attention to cryptic buttons or cluttered ribbons. The classic, customizable toolbar is still my favorite.
M$ is waging a war on colour and gradients and unfortunately many developers join the anti-colour movement. I cannot stand the dull flat style which has also conquered the web. Ribbon interface is a disaster- it is not just ugly and inconvenient, it is also a huge waste of space. I refuse to use programs with ribbon interface no matter how good they might be.

FileHandler

#5 Post by FileHandler »

smaragdus wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:53 am I cannot stand the dull flat style which has also conquered the web. Ribbon interface is a disaster- it is not just ugly and inconvenient, it is also a huge waste of space. I refuse to use programs with ribbon interface no matter how good they might be.
I couldn't agree more. Dissatisfied users galore, although not everyone speaks up about it. I also avoid the ribbon as much as I possibly can. Efficiency is WAY better with custom tooolbars and "tear-off" submenus that can be made sticky and placed anywhere on screen.

The dull look has gone so far in some apps that dialogs don't sport buttons anymore. You have to scan the clutter of text and captions to spot words like Ok or Cancel or Apply.

Thanks for your guidelines how to change the TB-look. 8) I will also thank the developer for bringing the color back.

smaragdus

Re: Daram Renamer 3.600

#6 Post by smaragdus »

Daram Renamer at version 3.600, changes:

Daram Renamer 3.600
  • Assembly Singing to Shell Extension Installer
  • Common Library Merge
  • Add File Icon to Listbox, Change String Table system
  • Remove Localization.json
  • Replace TaskDialogSharp, WPFFolderBrowser to Winston
  • PathToIconConverter can to get Directory Icon
  • ListBox items now show tooltip
  • No more add same files to ListBox
  • Advanced Add Files in directory, String Table update
The developer does not provide official change log, I tried to build it from here.

smaragdus

#7 Post by smaragdus »

Since version 3.700 Daram Renamer requires .NET Framework 4.7.2 and since it cannot be installed under Windows 8 I discontinue the testing of this program and I will never add it to the database. As of today (2018-11-08) the latest version of the program is 3.740 (from 2018-09-21).

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

I don't know if you tried it, smaragdus, but since it came up and has been alluded to in a database entry comment by another Windows 8 user (see https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2611#comment30483), I want to report that I have DotNet v4.7.2 installed in my Windows 7 SP1 x64 -- I don't recall right now if I had to do some tweaking to get it, but here's some proof...

Incidentally, that is a sreenshot of ASoft .NET Version Detector (http://www.asoft.be/prod_netver.html), a no-install DotNET utility itself, which not only detects versions installed but will also allow the user to download any other still available.

Special

#9 Post by Special »

I saw a gHacks review of this program and this part caught my eye...

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/11/09/daram ... tiny-flaw/
Windows users who use a firewall with strict rules, in particular a rule that blocks new connections, may notice that Daram Renamer won't start under that configuration. The error log highlights that the program attempts to establish a connection.

The issue can be resolved by allowing the program to connect to the Internet. Users who don't want this can add the listed IP address in the error log to the hosts file to redirect it to localhost.
WTF? What a dumb hoop you need to jump to use this, no thanks when there are already tons of "Renamer" programs out there to choose from.

smaragdus

#10 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas
Please notice that I wrote Windows 8, not Windows 7, not Windows 8.1- there is a difference between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 and .NET Framework 4.7.2 cannot be installed under Windows 8.

@Special
When I first came upon that program I found it promising and the developer- co-operative, however it later turned out that he was one of these modern developers who is stingy to include 8 KB license file in the archive (in the comments section of the article you mentioned above someone explained that the program requires internet connection to download the license file, which for me is really dull) (the 15 KB alternative tool bar icons archive is also not included) yet harsh to set so severe a requirement (.NET Framework 4.7.2+). Until now while testing programs I have not checked whether they try to establish internet connections but I did notice that Daram Renamer downloaded the license file (DaramRenamer.License.txt) yet it did not occur to me that I should mention that in the review.

Edit
I also forgot to point out that update check cannot be disabled and this is totally wrong. As I have previously mentioned for me the new tool bar icons set is horrible but this can be cured while the new requirement (.NET Framework 4.7.2+) is incurable.

Midas

#11 Post by Midas »

smaragdus wrote: Please notice that I wrote Windows 8, not Windows 7, not Windows 8.1- there is a difference between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 and .NET Framework 4.7.2 cannot be installed under Windows 8.
I stand enlightened. But just out of curiosity and if you don't mind, I was convinced that 8.1 was the better version of the 8th Windows iteration. Have you any reason to contradict that?

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

Program still in development with a release earlier this year: (changelog, translated): https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... kASAitoLhw

Download: https://github.com/daramkun/DaramRenamer/releases