WizFile

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

Re: WizFile 2.03

#31 Post by smaragdus »

WizFile at version 2.03, latest changes:
WizFile 2.03 (6 July 2018)
  • Search result list loading speed increased
  • Reduced CPU use when building results list (could cause audio/video playback to stutter previously)
  • Memory use reduced
  • Improved high DPI support (WizFile might have incorrectly displayed very large text on high DPI screens previously)
  • "Start with windows" option would not start WizFile on laptops running on battery power
    If you use WizFile on a laptop and want WizFile to start with Windows, then toggle the "start with windows" option off and back on again to correct this problem. This only has to be done once after upgrading to 2.03
  • Portable version will now use the default Windows language (if supported by WizFile) instead of defaulting to English

Special

Re: WizFile

#32 Post by Special »

This part;

"Start with windows" option would not start WizFile on laptops running on battery power
If you use WizFile on a laptop and want WizFile to start with Windows, then toggle the "start with windows" option off and back on again to correct this problem. This only has to be done once after upgrading to 2.03

Is the highlight for me, the way it should've been since the start, I'm glad about this change. It seems every new version comes with performance gains, I wonder how much more he can bring it down.

webfork

#33 Post by webfork »

Ghacks did a very welcome breakdown on WizFile's latest update: https://www.ghacks.net/2020/11/27/wizfi ... arch-tool/

EDIT: The program is very definitely lightweight and fast, clearly the search program of choice for older systems or devices that are weighed own by some heavy operations.

Negatively, the "donate" button shakes roughly every 30 seconds so, which is distracting and very annoying. I already avoid programs with animation built into the interface, much less unbidden and in the primary program window. I generally don't come down so hard on programs with some kind of donate button but I recommend in this case we class the program as "adware/nagware" going forward, especially since it's a minimum $10 to turn it off. If the program wasn't excellent in other respects, I'd recommend it's removal.

aazard

#34 Post by aazard »

Humm, do they have a lite/green version? its abit heavy for my drives...

I used Nirsoft's "SearchMyFiles" https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1485

and I either need something FAR smaller or more powerful, to justify its spot on my drive, this is SO nice, but over 15mb installed (or 9mb UPX packed)..its bigger than the rest of my whole office apps kit....

Suggestion or any info on "light versions" < I also do work for senior's in Canada, so 98SE, win2K and xp are sometime "being used still" (normally XP or newer these days though).. so stand alone if kinda needed by me, ie NO java/.net/odd system dll, etc needed to run app

Special

#35 Post by Special »

webfork wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:11 pm Ghacks did a very welcome breakdown on WizFile's latest update: https://www.ghacks.net/2020/11/27/wizfi ... arch-tool/

EDIT: The program is very definitely lightweight and fast, clearly the search program of choice for older systems or devices that are weighed own by some heavy operations.

Negatively, the "donate" button shakes roughly every 30 seconds so, which is distracting and very annoying. I already avoid programs with animation built into the interface, much less unbidden and in the primary program window. I generally don't come down so hard on programs with some kind of donate button but I recommend in this case we class the program as "adware/nagware" going forward, especially since it's a minimum $10 to turn it off. If the program wasn't excellent in other respects, I'd recommend it's removal.
Download a resource decompiler like "Resource Hacker" (http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/)

Run the Resource Hacker app and open WizFile.exe or WizFile64.exe depending on which type of Windows you use.

Step 1: To get rid of the donate button.

Search/Find (Ctrl + F) for btnDonate

Look three lines down and you'll see:
Width = 148
Height = 63

Change these to read
Width = 0
Height = 0

Step 2: To get rid of the text below donate button.

Search/Find (Ctrl + F) for lblDonate

Look three lines down and you'll see:
Width = 303
Height = 11

Change these to read
Width = 0
Height = 0

Press F5 to compile it and then Save (Ctrl + S)

This also works for WizTree.

TP109

#36 Post by TP109 »

Special wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:16 pm This also works for WizTree.
Good one. Works as long as you don't upgrade.

rbon

#37 Post by rbon »

WizFile rel. 3.02 released at December 2, 2020

- WizFile web site: https://antibody-software.com/wizfile/
- What's new in version 3.02
• Minimum form size constraints were being ignored so form could be resized too small to be usable - fixed
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.