Everything is one of my all-times favourites, an absolutely indispensable program which I use daily. It satisfies my needs for lightning-fast search, yet I appreciate newcomers like CSearcher for example-it is always better to have alternatives. Such a brand new alternative is WizFile which first public release came out on 2018-04-09.
FeaturesWhat is WizFile?
WizFile is a very fast file search utility that can find files on your hard drive almost instantly. The entire file system can be quickly sorted by name, size or date. WizFile currently only supports NTFS formatted hard drives but support for other hard drive types is planned.
What makes WizFile so fast?
When scanning NTFS formatted hard drives (most modern hard drives use this format), WizFile reads the hard drive's Master File Table (MFT) directly from the disk. The MFT is a special hidden file used by the NTFS file system to keep track of all files and folders on a hard drive. Scanning for files this way completely bypasses the operating system (Windows) and provides a huge performance boost.
- Finds the files and folders using the most space on your hard drive
- VERY Fast! WizTree reads the master file table (MFT) directly from NTFS formatted hard drives (similar to the way Everything Search Engine works)
- Visual Treemap allows you to spot large files and large collections of smaller files at a glance
- Finds the largest files on your hard drive. Every single file on your hard drive can be sorted in order of size.
- File Name Search - quickly locate files by name or wildcard match
- Export file data to CSV (comma separated values) file or clipboard
- Command line CSV file export
- Sort the contents of your entire hard drive by folder size and optionally delete files and folders
- Scan ALL hard drive file system types (NTFS, FAT, FAT32, network, etc) and/or individual folders
Direct download links for WizFile version 1.02 (released on 2018-04-09):
WizFile - program window:
WizFile - file:
WizFile - options:
WizFile - search:
WizFile - About:
WizFile has native portable version- settings file (WizFile.ini) is saved in program folder.
- Download the archive;
- Extract the archive to a folder of your choice;
- Run the executable (either WizFile.exe for x32 systems or WizFile64.exe for x64 systems);
LicenseWorks on 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8 and 10
NoteWizFile is released as DONATIONWARE. It may not be resold.
WizFile was created by Antibody Software, the developer who also published WizTree (which is in the database and has been discussed in the forum).
If the user donates to WizFile they will get a unique supporter code plus instructions how to use it and remove "Donate" button from WizFile.
I tested the x64 version of WizFile and although it worked fine (no crashes, no errors) I noticed it was using too much memory for a program of this kind- on my x64 system WizFile used about 360 MB of RAM. I do not know whether this is a memory leak but I hope that the developer will be able to slim down the memory usage (I have already contacted him about that).
File details for WizFile version 1.02 (released on 2018-04-09):
File Size: 5140823 Byte(s) (4.90 MB)
Modified Date: 2018-04-09 02:12
File Size: 3492136 Byte(s) (3.33 MB)
Modified Date: 2018-04-09 02:12