I have been using text expander programs for years and now I cannot imagine working on computers without such assistants. I had been using TyperTask for years- an extremely tiny and elegant text automation tool, but it was abandoned (it cannot be downloaded from the publisher's website any more) and it didn't support Unicode. Then I switched to PhraseExpress which is a powerful and well-designed program but the free version is limited. Also I was locked in version 11 because of GUI changes I found abominable (in short, the ribbon has stricken again). I also tried Lintalist which is a nice tool but for me it is not easy to configure. So I was searching for an alternative and some time ago I found a program which completely satisfies my text automation needs- it is free and open source, it is portable (from version 0.11), it supports Unicode, it is in active development- in one word- this is Beeftext.
FeaturesBeeftext is a text snippet management tool for Windows, inspired by TextExpander.
TextExpander is a great program, packed with features. To to keep the company profitable, Smile had to switch to a subscription-based model in 2016. And for people who only need the basic features of TextExpander, the monthly price is way too high.
Beeftext aims to be the best possible alternative to TextExpander. Beeftext is an open-source project written in C++ using the Qt framework.
- Unlimited number of snippets called combos;
- Combos can be organized into groups;
- Combos can be disabled;
- Combos can be executed anywhere- in text editors, mail clients, browsers, file managers, etc;
- Automatic or manual (via shortcut key) combo triggering;
- Automatic backup of combos;
- Export and Import of combos;
- Tray control;
- Program can be paused;
- Play sound on combo execution;
- Update check (which can be disabled);
- Multilingual program- currently English and French are supported;
- Unicode support;
Direct download links for Beeftext version 0.13 (released on 2018-03-18):
Beeftext - combos - with theme:
Beeftext - combos - without theme:
Beeftext - preferences:
Beeftext - new group:
Beeftext - new combo:
Beeftext - context menu:
Beeftext - tray control:
Beeftext - about:
As mentioned above since version 0.11 Beeftext comes with a native portable version.
- Download the portable zip archive;
- Extract the archive to a folder if your choice;
- Run the executable (Beeftext.exe);
- Do not delete Portable.bin file;
- Data and settings are saved in Data sub-folder (which contains Backup sub-folder and Settings.ini, comboList.json, log.txt files).
Beeftext runs on Windows 7 and newer.
Beeftext is released under MIT License.
I would like to thank again the developer- Xavier Michelon, for accepting my request for portable version of Beeftext, for his helpfulness and for his work on the program.
Although Beeftext is very stable the developer has chosen to label every version prior to version 1.0 as pre-release.
There are some differences between the installer and the portable version- the portable one lacks these options:
- it cannot be set to start automatically;
- the combo list folder location cannot be customized;
- the program cannot be updated automatically;
File details for Beeftext version 0.13 (released on 2018-03-18):
File Size: 8367164 Byte(s) (7.98 MB)
Modified Date: 2018-03-18 16:01
Name: Audio Catalogues\Beeftext-0.13-Installer.exe
File Size: 19464333 Byte(s) (18.56 MB)
Modified Date: 2018-03-18 16:01