Most renamers I know are either abandoned (and in most cases do not support Unicode), or rarely updated, or tend to become nagware and none of them is cross-platform. I have discovered, tested and used a cross-platform (it runs on Linux, macOS and Windows) open-source and portable one- Inviska Rename. It is easy to use, it seems to be stable, it is still in development and the developer is open to suggestions. I suppose this tool may be useful to those who need to rename files on a regular basis.
FeaturesInviska Rename is a batch file rename tool that allows you to give meaningful names to groups of files. It can be used for renaming music files from tags (screenshot), replacing photograph names like DSC04651.JPG with more useful names like "Spain Holiday - 154.jpg" (screenshot), renaming photos from Exif tags (screenshot), and other renaming tasks.
LinksInviska Rename can perform the following operations:
- Insert, remove and replace text in filename or extension.
- Rename using music tag information, such as mp3 ID3v2 tags, FLAC tags and other audio tags.
- Rename using Exif information from digital photographs.
- Rename using file creation or modification date.
- Automatically number files for easy ordering.
- Change filename to uppercase, lowercase, title case or sentence case.
- Filter items to be renamed based on extension, selection, files only or folders only.
- Save common rename settings for frequent tasks.
- Undo previous rename operation to restore original filenames.
- Show/hide hidden files to include/exclude them from rename operations.
- Navigate through directories in preview list to locate the files you wish to rename.
- Easily see which filenames will be changed with highlighting of modified filenames in the preview pane.
- View tags present in file (Exif screenshot, Music screenshot) and edit music tags before renaming.
- Rename in any language thanks to full Unicode support.
- Cross platform, running on Windows 7+, MacOS 10.10+ and Linux.
- Free open-source software released under the GPLv2 licence.
Direct download links for Inviska Rename version 3.0 (released on 2017-08-25):
Inviska Rename - name:
Inviska Rename - numbering:
Inviska Rename - tags - music:
Inviska Rename - tags - exif:
Inviska Rename - tags - attrubutes:
Inviska Rename - preferences - general:
Inviska Rename - preferences - file list:
Inviska Rename - about:
Inviska Rename - program in action:
Inviska Rename is portable and stealth by design- settings are saved in INI file (InviskaRename.ini) inside program folder.
- Download the 7-Zip archive;
- Extract the archive to a folder of your choice;
- Run the executable (InviskaRename.exe);
Inviska Rename runs on Windows 7+, MacOS 10.10+ and Linux.
Inviska Rename is released under the GPL v2 license.
Source code can be downloaded from the website.
Beta versions with new features can be downloaded from the forum
The developer plans to release new version with more features.
File details for Inviska Rename version 3.0:
File Size: 6532885 Byte(s) (6.23 MB)
Modified Date: 2017-08-25 00:48
File Size: 7151985 Byte(s) (6.82 MB)
Modified Date: 2017-08-25 00:48
I will no longer provide VirusTotal analysis because this service is a privacy nightmare.