Remembr Clipboard Manager. Requested the dev for a portable

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
gbrao

Remembr Clipboard Manager. Requested the dev for a portable

#1 Post by gbrao »

Remembr seems to be a nice simple clipboard manager. It's small - less than 1MB. I requested the dev for a portable version. However I'm having trouble explaining what stealth portable means.

If some of you could help out here : https://singularlabs.com/forums/topic/p ... e-version/

No registration required at that site btw.

webfork

Re: Remembr Clipboard Manager. Requested the dev for a porta

#2 Post by webfork »

Cool, thanks for doing that. I've added to the thread over there. Hopefully that was useful.

gbrao

Re: Remembr Clipboard Manager. Requested the dev for a portable

#3 Post by gbrao »

https://singularlabs.com/software/remem ... mentation/
Portable Remembr
Although we don’t provide a portable edition of Remembr, it’s possible to roll your own. You will need to install Remembr once and then move Remembr.exe (and any required localizations) from C:\Program Files (x86)\ to wherever you wish to store the portable version.

To prevent Remembr from writing to Windows’ temporary file locations, create a file called “remembr_settings.conf” in the same directory as Remembr.exe. This local file will be used to store settings instead of AppData\Local

You can prevent Remembr from checking for updates or automatically updating (for Pro users) by adding “UpdateCheck=False” to the local “remembr_settings.conf” file.
https://singularlabs.com/forums/topic/p ... on/page/2/
Alright, since I’m reasonably satisfied you’re not trying to use Remembr maliciously; I’ll address your requests individually.

1: You can start Remembr minimized using the (undocumented) /AUTO commandline argument.
2: There is supposed to be an option to disable the update check. This is an oversight and will be remedied.
3: Not convinced of the usefulness of this feature.
4: There is a plan to add a miniature version of Remembr that appears in the bottom-right corner on the single click, which is why the main UI only shows on a double click.

Regarding the app’s stealth capabilities, if you take Remembr.exe from the \%Program Files%\Remembr\ and don’t change any of the default settings, it will run as a portable app and won’t create any configuration files in AppData. The ability to load a config file from the working directory will be added.

We’re not going to offer a portable version for download, but I’m happy to make it easier for users to essentially roll their own.
I'll check it out when I have the time.

Midas

Re: Remembr Clipboard Manager. Requested the dev for a portable

#4 Post by Midas »

I tested Remembr and, sadly, it doesn't seem to work as expected... :(

After (Uni)extracting the downloaded installer, I created an empty 'remembr_settings.conf' file alongside its executable and ran it.

To no avail, since it still saved its settings to '%APPDATA%' -- more precisely, to '...\AppData\Roaming\SingularLabs\Remembr'. After I moved the settings file to the program folder and re-ran the program, settings were still saved to '%APPDATA%'. So the verdict here is not portable.