BiglyBT - open source bittorrent client

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
joby_toss

BiglyBT - open source bittorrent client

#1 Post by joby_toss »

https://www.biglybt.com/
BiglyBT is a feature filled, open source, ad-free, bittorrent client.
Forked from the Azureus open source project created in 2003, BiglyBT continues its development, and keeps all the features you've loved.
If you are already using Azureus or Vuze, you'll have the option to copy and migrate the config settings, downloads, and plugins.

Source article: https://torrentfreak.com/former-vuze-de ... nt-170803/

Note: not tested, but i doubt it's portable at this stage of development...

P.S. sorry for the huge screenshots, but no time to resize them right now (just linking to the original website screenshots).

smaragdus

Re: BiglyBT 1.0.0.0

#2 Post by smaragdus »

Remarks
  • BiglyBT is not a new program, it is just a fork of Azureus/Vuze without the ads, the bloat and the bundled installers, it is what Azureus had used to be before it became Vuze.
  • I have tested almost all torrent clients for Windows (without BitLord and some more Vuze adware clones) and for me BiglyBT is the most powerful and the most customizable one. I consider myself an experienced torrent user yet I cannot say I understand all options BiglyBT provides. Customizing the program to one's liking requires some efforts. BiglyBT is not appropriate for beginners.
  • If the latest Java version is not installed during the installation BiglyBT will try to download and install it (the process can be cancelled).
  • During the installation one can choose between two UI styles- Sidebar and Tabbed. If Sidebar style is installed later one cannot switch to Tabbed style in options (and vice versa), to use Tabbed style one will have to install the program again.
  • Even without the Vuze bloat BiglyBT is a heavy program, even without any torrents loaded it uses about 250-300 MB of RAM.
  • The full installers of BiglyBT version 1.0.0.0 provided for download at BiglyBT website and at GitHub have the same version number but are different, for me this is sloppiness.
  • Compared to the cute icon Azureus once had for me the BiglyBT icon is dull.
  • I don't think that there will ever be a native portable version of BiglyBT.
  • Losing its two major developers Vuze is most likely dead (a good riddance- Vuze should have never existed).
Links
Website
GitHub
Download (attention- opening this page triggers automatic download)
Download
History
Features
Issues
License
Softpedia
MajorGeeks
gHacks
AlternativeTo

Images

BiglyBT version 1.0.0.0 - tabbed ui mode (old, classic ui):

BiglyBT version 1.0.0.0 - sidebar ui mode (new, modern ui):

BiglyBT version 1.0.0.0 - options - interface - display:

BiglyBT version 1.0.0.0 - tray control:

==

Edit
Postimage again changed domain:
postimg.ORG domain is locked by Registry, no prior notice.
While we hope to resolve the issue, we chose postimg.CC as our new home.
Please update codes embedded in your websites.
and thus again destroyed my work. For me this service is not reliable.
Last edited by smaragdus on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

Specular

Re: BiglyBT - open source bittorrent client

#3 Post by Specular »

Looks decent. Pity it requires Java. I uninstalled it long ago as it's one less thing to have to keep up to date (in particular for its frequent browser vulnerabilities, though those plugins can be disabled).

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Specular wrote:Pity it requires Java. I uninstalled it long ago as it's one less thing to have to keep up to date (in particular for its frequent browser vulnerabilities, though those plugins can be disabled).
I second that...

EDIT: according to Ghacks.net, the Java requirement is integrated in BiglyBT...
author of https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/05/biglybt-new-vuze-based-torrent-client-without-ads/ wrote:Note: BiglyBT requires Java. It comes with an integrated Java Runtime Environment so that Java does not need to be installed globally on the system to use the torrent client.
Last edited by Midas on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

smaragdus

Re: BiglyBT 1.5.0.0

#5 Post by smaragdus »

BiglyBT at version 1.5.0.0, history. There are lots of changes but I have not tested this version so far, I have Java 8 and when I started the installation BiglyBT automatically started to download Java 9, without any prompts, for me such behaviour is unacceptable.

Portable Vuze
Portable BiglyBT

webfork

Re: BiglyBT 1.5.0.0

#6 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:22 am BiglyBT at version 1.5.0.0, history. There are lots of changes but I have not tested this version so far, I have Java 8 and when I started the installation BiglyBT automatically started to download Java 9, without any prompts, for me such behaviour is unacceptable.
Yeah that's kind of a big deal. I can think of a lot of reasons this is a really bad idea. Even putting aside all the other questions of security, bandwidth, network policy, etc., you might have an earlier Java version running software that a fresh install will break.

h3kt0r

#7 Post by h3kt0r »

I've downloaded, installed (using "Revo Uninstaller") and tested "BiglyBT" and cannot recommend this.
Sure thing is it has loads of options. But it's sooo heavy, it's slow, it's bloated and was a disapointment to me.
Whenever i've decided to remove it using "Revo", i went into some real trouble.
I've chose to remove all the registry keys created during installation and whenever i've rebooted the computer later on that day,
it was unable to load windows 10.
Now, that's a turnover.
I was really disgusted.
So, beware guys, this is no good software...

smaragdus

Re: BiglyBT

#8 Post by smaragdus »

@h3kt0r
I agree that BiglyBT is heavy and slow (although with Electron/JavaScript invading the desktop bloat and sluggishness have reached new dimensions) but you cannot blame it for your uninstallation troubles, you authorized Revo Uninstaller to ruin your system so it must be the culprit, not BiglyBT. Anyway, BiglyBT is a cleaner and slimmer version of the even more bloated Vuze (as far as I can remember its predecessor- Azureus, wasn't that bloated).

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

Some wood to stoke the flames? ;)
So, to clarify: I’m running a laptop that has an operating system called 'Chrome OS', which is mostly just Google’s Chrome browser and a little bit of Linux, and now I’m installing 'real' Linux applications inside a virtual machine on top of Chrome OS, and most of those applications are built entirely with Chrome-derived technologies. :shock:

SYSTEM

#10 Post by SYSTEM »

Midas wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:08 pm Some wood to stoke the flames? ;)
So, to clarify: I’m running a laptop that has an operating system called 'Chrome OS', which is mostly just Google’s Chrome browser and a little bit of Linux, and now I’m installing 'real' Linux applications inside a virtual machine on top of Chrome OS, and most of those applications are built entirely with Chrome-derived technologies. :shock:
Interesting. The article points out an Electron competitor called Proton Native.
Some of you might be saying that you could do it in Electron. It's a good tool, but it brings in a lot of overhead, running a full webbrowser to manage a small GUI, while Proton Native can do the same, using native tools, with a smaller size and with less resource usage.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#11 Post by Midas »

Thanks. It takes a pro to cut through the fluff and discover potential avenues for evolution. Proton Native does indeed look promising to my layman eyes. 8)

smaragdus

#12 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas
If the desktop belongs to Electron the desktop is finished. The article you quoted is trashy, so is the website it comes from, so is Electron. I have tested and uninstalled about a dozen of ELectron programs- all were pure junk. However it is true that hordes of poor JavaScript programmers are attacking the desktop. Good programming is in decline.

Midas

#13 Post by Midas »

Thanks for reading. :)

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:21 am @MidasGood programming is in decline.
It's certainly the case that rapid development produces lower quality code. It's also been the case that cross-platform tools are generally bulky and not very efficient. What's new is that every very basic tools are coming out that require really massive system resources, where even systems with 8 GIGs of RAM are going to seem small. If I could just figure out a way to force Electron to work with a single, low-priority process with 20 megs of memory, I'd do it.

It might be a different conversation if Electron programs naturally held a host of amazing tools and features. After all, it's basically and entire copy of Google Chrome, a program that's had a massive amount of time and energy put into it. Yet I've been underwhelmed by Electron-based offerings apart from the Atom code editor.

h3kt0r

#15 Post by h3kt0r »

Truth is, you have legions of bad programmers trying to invade your desktop with poorly written, bloated, sluggish "apps" that are originally designed for tablets and/or smartphones.
They don't know s**t about assembly language, code optimization, simple, elegant, effective programming design and don't want to know what "real programming" is.
They're doomed to produce ugly, flawed, intrusive, unreliable, unelegant programs hungry on system's resources.
The driving "philosophy" behind that implies that people nowadays are "dumb" and so, they write software targeting "dumb" people.