The Electron framework and portable software

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

The Electron framework and portable software

#1 Post by webfork » Sun May 28, 2017 7:36 pm

The whole Electron framework has been discussed more than once on the site (including WebTorrent, Curse, and Wire) and, while it's not portable, it has enabled a lot of web services to come to the desktop. Obviously this doesn't impact us yet, but if the Electron framework were encouraged to go a more portable route, that would be a quick and smooth way to get a lot of programs quickly added to the portable catalog in a way that's (potentially) cross-platform.

It may even be possible to pull them together into one similar to Ninite or PortableApps as the (non-free) WebCatalog program has done:

https://getwebcatalog.com/downloads/windows
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/O ... alog.shtml

A tool like this that includes program isolation might also be capable of corralling a lot of errant files and settings.

Normally I'd consider taking this on as a separate project to try and see what I could manage, but as it stands it's been hard to dedicate the time I'd like to existing projects so, I thought I'd see if this grabbed someone's attention.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

Midas

Re: Electron based Windows 95

#2 Post by Midas » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:47 am

Case in point (following recent debates like the one at viewtopic.php?t=24294, am already donning my reproach helmet):
A developer by the name of Felix Rieseberg has resurrected Microsoft’s ancient OS using the power of Electron, a cross-platform app development framework. 😱

"I put Windows 95 into an Electron app that now runs on macOS, Windows, and Linux. It’s a terrible idea that works shockingly well. I’m so sorry", he writes on Twitter.

Some interesting technical details in that article. Now if someone did the same with Windows 98 SE, as this VMs apparently run fine in Linux and MacOS and given adequate performance, it might become a worthy platform for playing legacy games.

Electron Windows 95 download available from https://github.com/felixrieseberg/windows95 (also at www.freewarefiles.com/Windows-95-_program_112416.html and betanews.com/2018/08/23/run-windows-95-on-windows-macos-and-linux/).

webfork

Re: The Electron framework and portable software

#3 Post by webfork » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:58 am

I'm so sorry
I love it when people participate in a terrible project and acknowledge it from the start. It's like all those programs that start with "Yet Another <Program>".

I do hope he both disabled network connections by default and make it annoying to enable. Versions of Windows before probably Vista just do not need to be connected to the Internet.

Strangely this might be good for PFW as we still have a fair number of programs that work on older Windows versions and (mostly) don't require a net connection.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org