PDF-XChange Editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Special

Re: PDF-XChange Editor

#31 Post by Special »

If you want something to view PDFs with then it's fine, if you want to do any sort of altering or modifying to a PDF then saving it, you get watermarks, editing is payed.

With that being said, the Editor by far the best PDF program I have ever used, the old X-Change Viewer, SumatraPDF, Adobe Reader, they all got nothing on this.

Userfriendly

#32 Post by Userfriendly »

webfork wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:38 pm I recommend against updating to the latest version.
The reviewer from here http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html, he said "I uninstalled version 7.0 because it changed too many features that I liked." But I'm not sure if he meant the free or paid versions features. His review still reflects that of version 6.0.

You can still download v6.0.322.7 and any other older version from here https://www.tracker-software.com/versio ... nge-editor or just change the current download link of PDFXEdit7_Portable.zip to PDFXEdit6_Portable.zip. Basically 7 to a 6.

webfork

#33 Post by webfork »

Special wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:41 pm With that being said, the Editor by far the best PDF program I have ever used, the old X-Change Viewer, SumatraPDF, Adobe Reader, they all got nothing on this.
Until this last update, I totally agree. It'll probably remain my default PDF viewer, I'll just see if I can track down the earlier version.

lintalist

#34 Post by lintalist »

Off topic: For a few hours more - 30% off via http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/pdf- ... deals-home
(the Pro version will appear in the next couple of weeks) - they seem to offer this once a year via Bits du Jour.

webfork

#35 Post by webfork »

A really nice window management feature I hope I see elsewhere: move a tab to the side or lower half of a window. Just drag-and-drop a single tab and a 5-box object shows up in the center of your screen:

Point your mouse at one of the quadrants (in this case the lower one) and you get this:

I'm going to use this for ease of reference between multiple docs, but this is especially useful for very large or vertical-style screens.
Last edited by webfork on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (fixed terrible wording)

webfork

#36 Post by webfork »

PDF XChange justed added a relative-path session management dialog that really improves portability: https://www.tracker-software.com/produc ... nge-editor

webfork

#37 Post by webfork »

Userfriendly wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:53 pm Here's a software review that's been keeping up with changes to both the editor and viewer. It has comparisons and benchmarks. http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
So this link provided by Userfriendly got updated a few months ago to some of the changes over time, and it a great summary of why I'm such a big PDF-XChange fan.

Andrew Lee

#38 Post by Andrew Lee »

Yup, I am a big fan too. It has been my default PDF viewer for the longest time now.

Midas

#39 Post by Midas »

Me three. 8)

Special

#40 Post by Special »

Cornflower

#41 Post by Cornflower »

Just thought I'd add my two-cents worth about using PDF-XChange Editor. I keep going back and forth on whether to spring for the Licensed version (portable, of course), but the only advantage for what I do is really in base layer editing, and for that so far I use workarounds. I used jobytoss' method to hide licensed features, so I often don't know what I am missing.

My most-used Tool for 'editing' is the hidden Properties pane (sidebar). By keeping that open I can see the font of any text, or Style properties of any tool or object. I don't think it came with a shortcut key, so you can assign one by right-clicking on the ribbon, choose Customize Toolbar, and go to Commands and find Properties Pane and assign a shortcut.

To "edit a document", if I want to type over existing text, I select the Typewriter tool and change the font to match that which I want to replace, and make sure the border width is 0 pt and Opacity is 100%. Then I place the cursor and type.

To hide extraneous objects (everything but their License stamp!) I change the Rectangle Tool Properties to be opaque have have a 0 pt border width, and use it cover up that extra stuff.

I still use the old viewer on my windows tablet because of the screen, but for more and more, PDF-XChange Editor is my go-to.