Ding-Press - 7zip front-end

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

Ding-Press - 7zip front-end

#1 Post by smaragdus » Thu May 24, 2018 2:08 pm

[Moderator note: this thread was split from the 7zip command line backup thread.]

---

@Ding-A-Ling

Thank you for the nifty little tool. I tested Ding-Press and it worked fine.

Screen:

Observations:
  • I tried to add more passwords using the pattern from the INI file but it turned out that the program is set to use only passwords from 0 to 9.
  • The program is set to stay on top.
  • The program is tiny (923 KB executable) and light (it uses about 16 MB of RAM).
  • The program has tray icon but cannot be minimized to tray only (not shown in taskbar).
Enhancements:
  • Option to "minimize to tray" - for example:

Code: Select all

tray=1
    parameter in INI file;
  • If "minimize to tray" is implemented - new tray command above "Script Paused" and "Exit" - "Open";
  • Option to "save window state on exit" (position on desktop), for example;

Code: Select all

window=1
    parameter in INI file;
  • Option to use more passwords than 0-9 - program checks the INI file for the number of added passwords;
  • Version number in title bar;
Overall, Ding-Press is a very promising tool. Thanks for sharing it, Ding-A-Ling.

smaragdus

Re: 7zip command-line backup

#2 Post by smaragdus » Thu May 24, 2018 2:12 pm

It seems that user Ding-A-Ling deleted his post while I was replying to it.

billon

#3 Post by billon » Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 pm

:?:

Ding-A-Ling

#4 Post by Ding-A-Ling » Fri May 25, 2018 12:58 am

3nd Repost (I'm sorry about that but I just keep finding problems with it):

I've attempted to expand upon Webfork's idea.

It's somewhat naively programmed in AutoIt with absolutely NO WARRANTY.

The program — such as it is — is reasonably self-explanatory (ie. I think people will be able to work it out by having a quick play-around).
Passwords are stored in "plain sight" in the ini.txt. Like Webfork said about his batch-script idea: "If that's an issue, you may want to run this from inside an encrypted volume like VeraCrypt". (Perhaps, in the future, I could add a modicum of password-management with AES-256 encryption, but this is just a first version and there might be very little interest.)
If you're going to try this, you'll need to change the passwords that are already in the ini.txt.
The program has buttons for picking files and folders and the input boxes accept the dragging-and-dropping of file- and folder-names.

If used in the SendTo menu, it quickly:
  • decompresses .7z, .rar and .zip files
  • compresses folders and other files using the highest compression-level (not suitable for large folders/files).
Download v1.51
4 Shared or Mediafire

@smaragdus: Thank you for your interest, positive comments and constructive criticisms.
(I've implemented your suggestions.)

:D
Last edited by Ding-A-Ling on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DAL's Programs
Image I wanna play with my ding-a-ling! Image Image

Ding-A-Ling

#5 Post by Ding-A-Ling » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:23 am

webfork wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:37 pm
Ding-A-Ling wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 am
Well, do you think that it is even good enough to share? If you thought it was, I'd have to consider it.

If I released the source code generally, would you vote for the compiled version's inclusion in TPFC's public database?

How does licensing work? Is it just a statement in a read-me file? If not, how involved is the process to license one's work? Is it free?

To use, say, the MIT licence, would I need to pay for legally recognised copyright first?
Could we move this conversation to the forums? So many of these topics come up so frequently, I'd like to answer these in the forums so I can reference this conversation later.

No, it doesn't cost anything. A license literally is just attaching a file with some text and your copyright. That affords you real legal protection. If you use a standard license, other people with that same license (who want to protect their work as well) will come to your aid should you end up in court. This has happened many times for many developers of GPL code over the years.

As to whether it's good enough, I don't know. The screencap that I saw looked promising.

I don't want to say I'll vote for it before I test it. However, if the program works as described and it saves time over the (rather lengthy) command-line process I mentioned in the 7zip command line thread, I will definitely vote for it.
Download v1.52:
4 Shared or MediaFire
Last edited by Ding-A-Ling on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:34 am, edited 6 times in total.
DAL's Programs

webfork

#6 Post by webfork » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:17 am

Thanks for both posting that and moving that conversation to the forums. More to come.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

webfork

#7 Post by webfork » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:24 am

webfork wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:17 am
Thanks for both posting that and moving that conversation to the forums. More to come.
Update here: so this whole process ran into some difficulty after the Github purchase by Microsoft. My original plan was to get the program posted to Github by way of hosting and some publicity, but now I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm so far underwhelmed by some of the alternatives that I've been exploring.

I'll keep digging.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

webfork

Re: Ding-Press - 7zip front-end

#8 Post by webfork » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:41 am

Despite some reservations about the Github platform, Ding-Press is now posted:

https://github.com/vatterspun/Ding-Press/

Ding-A-Ling

#9 Post by Ding-A-Ling » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:17 am

@Webfork

I'm not impressed and I'm really disappointed. I'm being polite (Heaven knows why).

At the Github site, the "Read Me.txt" and "License.txt" have been substantively changed without, need I say, my permission.

In particular, the "License.txt" once said:
Copyright (c) 2018 Paul Edward Cowley (aka Ding-A-Ling; email: Ding-A-Ling@inboxbear.com)

(To be clear: this license does NOT refer to 7z.dll and 7z.exe in the 7z folder,
which are Copyright (c) 1999-2018 Igor Pavlov and have their own license.)

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice (including email address) and this permission notice
shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.
but, now, on Github, it says:
MIT License

Copyright (c) 2018 vatterspun

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.
So, vatterspun -- I think we know who that is -- is claiming copyright and ownership.

I really should have known better about making the source code available. I'd had my doubts and misgivings and they proved right. I shall not release source code again and be taken advantage of.
DAL's Programs

Specular

#10 Post by Specular » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:47 am

Fwiw, re Github uploads, by default during the upload process (at least when using the web interface) Github asks you to select a license type and after the repository (the place where the code is hosted) has been created automatically modifies the copyright of the license to the username uploading it initially, unless it was forked from an existing repository which had a license in which case it preserves the original license text.

I take it vatterspun is Webfork? Seems like a simple oversight with not having the license file replaced tbh but they can speak for themselves.

JohnTHaller

#11 Post by JohnTHaller » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:06 am

Ding-A-Ling wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:17 am
So, vatterspun -- I think we know who that is -- is claiming copyright and ownership.

I really should have known better about making the source code available. I'd had my doubts and misgivings and they proved right. I shall not release source code again and be taken advantage of.
Releasing something as open source doesn't meant you relinquish copyright. You still own it and it's illegal for someone to claim it as their own. Your copyright has to remain intact. The logic is that your mention in the copyright is the value you get for the work you did. Post an issue to the project with the details of the copyright violation, I'd wager it was an innocent mistake as it appears to be a default MIT license file). You can even file a DMCA takedown on that project on github if you're so inclined.

EDIT: It appears that github updated it automatically, which is a pretty poor workflow on their part.
Last edited by JohnTHaller on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#12 Post by webfork » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:42 am

Ding-A-Ling wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:17 am
@Webfork

I'm not impressed and I'm really disappointed. I'm being polite (Heaven knows why).

The license and copyright listing were automatically generated, as Specular suggested. If you look at the home page, the license you posted is listed and was listed that way from the beginning.

The license file is now also modified to mirror what was already on the main page.