Visual Studio Code Portable - modern code editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: Visual Studio Code Portable - modern code editor

#16 Post by webfork » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:44 pm

Portability update ...

I ran another test on this and had a few updates
  • The Portable page addresses a "portable mode migration" (https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/portable), which is a very unusual thing to find, but I'm very happy to see. After all, if your local copy runs the way you want it to, why jump through all the necessary hoops again to get the portable version running the same?
  • dotNET developers may get prompted to install an "dotNET Core" IDE that isn't even remotely portable, but some csharp tools did save to the data\extensions folder at a unfriendly 300 megs. All told the process cost about a 1.1 gigs of space on my machine.
Also if anyone is familiar with compiling code in VS, please ping me or hop on our Discord channel at some point.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This is a dramatic edit over my initial post as I repeated a lot of things already covered in this thread. Sorry for any confusion.

freakazoid

Re: Visual Studio Code Portable - modern code editor

#17 Post by freakazoid » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:38 pm

Didn't know that Microsoft would natively support portable mode for Visual Studio Code! That made me want to test VSCode out, so here it goes...

First impressions:
- Uncompressed filesize is 236MB
- Appears to be an Electron app
- Memory usage is beefy. Around 450MB idle. I've seen it jump up to 750MB just browsing some extensions. You can blame Electron for that.

The killer feature of VSCode is their extensions, which supports various languages and addons. Like say you might be interested in mobile app development, check out this article for some extensions to use:

Code: Select all

https://adtmag.com/articles/2019/05/21/vs-code-mobile.aspx
I know I've always wanted to code an Android app, so the Android extensions look promising. That's all I've got to say for a first impression!
is it stealth? ;)