Veneta Viewer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Veneta Viewer

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Veneta Viewer is a hardware accelerated image viewer and image sequence player. It supports a large variety of formats, including many RAW images from cameras.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/veneta-viewer/

Dl @ https://sourceforge.net/projects/veneta-viewer/files/

Midas

Re: Veneta Viewer

#2 Post by Midas »

RAW recently became a must-have for me...

smaragdus

#3 Post by smaragdus »

@I am Baas
Thank you for submitting Veneta Viewer to the forum.

Initially Veneta Viewer wasn't portable but since version 0.3.2 it is:
0.3.2 - Veneta will now search for configuration file inside executable folder first. If it's not present will create one at "C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Veneta\config.txt"
I have already thanked the developer but I will do it once again here:

Riciery, many thanks for the portable option!

For me the program's icon/logo is very cute, somehow it reminds me of Edvard Munch's "The Scream".

riciery8910

#4 Post by riciery8910 »

Hi, thanks for using and sharing my program, I've just signed up to say that I've fixed some things like saving of Photoshop RAW images and also printing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPuaKAWSDso

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

riciery8910 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 am Hi, thanks for using and sharing my program, I've just signed up to say that I've fixed some things like saving of Photoshop RAW images and also printing them.
Thanks for the update and welcome to the site.

shnbwmn

#6 Post by shnbwmn »

@riciery8910

I noticed Veneta supports IFF files. I tried it with a Maya sequence and it bombed out with an error. Had no problems opening the same sequence with XnViewMP and DJVImaging. I can make a ticket/issue or give further details if you need it.

Otherwise very nice viewer :)

riciery8910

#7 Post by riciery8910 »

shnbwmn wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:56 am @riciery8910

I noticed Veneta supports IFF files. I tried it with a Maya sequence and it bombed out with an error. Had no problems opening the same sequence with XnViewMP and DJVImaging. I can make a ticket/issue or give further details if you need it.

Otherwise very nice viewer :)

Please could you create a topic in the discussion page of the program with a link to the images, I'd like to take a look at them.

As far as I know, the FreeImage library that the program uses can only handle Amiga type of IFF images, and not Maya's.

smaragdus

#8 Post by smaragdus »

@riciery8910
Welcome to the forum.

Although the list of supported formats is huge I cannot use Veneta Viewer (as of version 1.0.6) because it is plagued by severe GUI issues.

riciery8910

#9 Post by riciery8910 »

smaragdus wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:54 am @riciery8910
Welcome to the forum.

Although the list of supported formats is huge I cannot use Veneta Viewer (as of version 1.0.6) because it is plagued by severe GUI issues.

Can you specify what the issues are please? I'd be happy to fix them.

smaragdus

#10 Post by smaragdus »

@riciery8910

I am afraid that what is a problem (bug) for me is a design decision for you. I have contacted you privately in the past about the same issues:
  • Open Veneta Viewer;
  • Open image;
  • Maximize window;
  • The image doesn't automatically fit window;
and
  • Open Veneta Viewer;
  • Maximize window (double-click the title bar or click "Maximize" button in title bar);
  • Exit Veneta Viewer in maximized state;
  • Restart Veneta Viewer in maximized state;
  • Double-click the title bar or click "Restore Down" button in the title bar- Veneta Viewer doesn't remember its previous window state (minimized);
For other these might be minor issues or no issues at all but for me this behaviour is painful.

Regards

riciery8910

#11 Post by riciery8910 »

@smaragdus

Indeed the first case is a design decision, I'll include an option "Always Fit Window" to the options menu,
and also I'll add the choice of fitting images smaller than window when loading them.

About the second issue, I'll try to fix this now since I have time to fiddle around with the program.

Then if you agree I'll PM a test build for you, once you're satisfied with the behavior I'll upload to sourceforge.

EDIT: PM sent.

smaragdus

#12 Post by smaragdus »

@riciery8910

I replied to your message but I will post here as well.

First, thank you for the test build you sent me. I tested Veneta Viewer version 1.0.7 briefly and as a whole it is very close to what I needed. For me "Always Fit Window" option makes the use of the program smoother. Also, now Veneta Viewer remembered window size after program exit in maximized state but it didn't remember its desktop position. If you make Veneta Viewer to remember its exact window position on desktop after maximized exit I will be completely satisfied.

I am always glad when developers take users' feedback that seriously.

Regards

riciery8910

#13 Post by riciery8910 »

@smaragdus

Please check your PMs, I've just sent you an updated version.

smaragdus

#14 Post by smaragdus »

riciery8910

Thanks for the second test build- the window behaviour seems to be fixed indeed.

However with "Always Fit Window" enabled smaller images are zoomed in too much. What about "Always Fit Window" handling only bigger images- zooming out images bigger than Veneta Viewer window?

What about adding support for APNG (Animated Portable Network Graphics) format?

Regards

riciery8910

#15 Post by riciery8910 »

@smaragdus

APNG would be cool to implement but I don't ever use it myself, so that's not gonna happen.

And thank you for your feedback, It's very important for the program's improvement.