Cryptomator (cloud file encryption)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Midas

Cryptomator (cloud file encryption)

#1 Post by Midas »

OSS Cryptomator looks really interesting and I guess that's reason enough for a post. It is apparently Java dependent, so no surprise it's readily multi-platform (Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, iOS).

https://cryptomator.org/ author wrote:[Cryptomator is a] Free client-side encryption for your cloud files. Open source software: no backdoors, no registration.

Download Cryptomator latest release (currently v1.0.5) from http://cryptomator.org/downloads/.

smaragdus

Re: Cryptomator (cloud file encryption)

#2 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas
Thanks for the post. I spotted Cryptomator at Softpedia yesterday but haven't yet tested it- did you try it? If you did, what are your impressions?
Some more links:
Cryptomator at Softpedia (it got rating of 4.5/5 by Vladimir Ciobica)
Cryptomator at AlternativeTo
By the way the latest Windows version is 1.0.4.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Sorry, smaragdus, I don't usually use Java programs... :(

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

The fact that it's cross-platform and they make a big fuss about openness and simplicity is very encouraging. That is increasingly critical and overcomes a huge barrier to real cloud storage adoption. I'll try to test it out sometime soon.

License: MIT / X Consortium License

smaragdus

#5 Post by smaragdus »

Cryptomator at version 1.1.1, a standalone JAR file can be downloaded from GitHub. Cryptomator writes to AppData (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Cryptomator\settings.json).

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

I came back to this today and tried a few tricks with jPortable and moving the config file without success. Ah well.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

Cryptomator v1.4.13 released (changelog at https://github.com/cryptomator/cryptomator/releases/).

TalkOrBell

#8 Post by TalkOrBell »

Cloud file encryption is a bit of an oxymoron as putting anything in the cloud is up for grabs by the right corporations and the piddly encryption easily bested in a few seconds to a few minutes with the high-powered machines they have...

Be smart, put NOTHING in any cloud just leave it on ur machine...If it's sensitive burn it to disc & put it away & only open it on machines that are not hooked to the net...

If you had experienced what I have you would soil yourselves....

SYSTEM

#9 Post by SYSTEM »

TalkOrBell wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:17 pm Cloud file encryption is a bit of an oxymoron as putting anything in the cloud is up for grabs by the right corporations and the piddly encryption easily bested in a few seconds to a few minutes with the high-powered machines they have...
Quit posting such nonsense. Modern encryption algorithms with long enough keys cannot be cracked in any halfway reasonable time (less than hundreds of years), not even with NSA's resources. If you encrypt the data before uploading it to the cloud, corporations or even national actors can't get their hands on the data.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

TalkOrBell wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:17 pm piddly encryption easily bested
I hear this every so often -- that quantum computing or state resources or any number of other functions have rendered conventional security invalid. At least from what I know now, the Cryptomator program is a much better option than many other tools I've looked at. It's open, it's actively developed, and it doesn't rely upon a company or group to maintain secure functions. In an era when too many people have an all-or-nothing approach to security, it's a solid middle ground.

Midas

#11 Post by Midas »

Cryptomator v1.5.12 released (changelog at https://github.com/cryptomator/cryptomator/releases/).

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:29 pm Cryptomator v1.5.12 released (changelog at https://github.com/cryptomator/cryptomator/releases/).
Crytomator has resolved the portability question by actually pointing to the Portapps.io version from their webpage (https://cryptomator.org/downloads/):

This is the first I've seen of any entity embracing Portapps for their software distribution.

Also 1.5.13 is out, fixing what appear to be minor bugs: https://github.com/cryptomator/cryptoma ... tag/1.5.13

Midas

#13 Post by Midas »

As I was quick checking Cryptomator, I happened to notice the portable is still v1.5.11-5 -- so, unsurprisingly, after I launched it and set it to look for updates it stated there was newer v1.5.13 available.

I was able to manually update it by downloading the installer, (Uni)extracting and replacing the corresponding files in the portable's sub-folders 'app', 'app\app' and 'app\runtime'.

That last folder is where the portable Java runtime is stored and required an additional trick: after copying files over and replacing existing ones, go to explorer's selection menu ("Home | Selection" in the ribbon bar) and click "Invert selection", then delete the obsolete files.

It still works and shows the updated version. Total disk cost is about 86MB. :)

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

Amusing sidenote: Cryptomator has a lengthy page on why they're better than BoxCryptor ... I like to think it was because Boxcryptor wrote something similar and it pissed off the other team. The conclusion paragraphs are amusingly similar, but I have no idea.