Duplicate & Same Files Searcher

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Duplicate & Same Files Searcher

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Duplicate & Same Files Searcher (Duplicate Searcher) is an application for searching duplicate files (clones) and NTFS hard links to the same file. It searches duplicate file contents regardless of file name (true byte-to-byte comparison is used). This application allows not only to delete duplicate files or to move them to another location, but to replace duplicates with NTFS hard links as well
http://malich.ru/duplicate_searcher.aspx?lang=en

Requires .NET Framework 4.0

Settings within the application folder

smaragdus

Re: Duplicate & Same Files Searcher

#2 Post by smaragdus »

Unfortunately adware:
Duplicate & Same Files Searcher 4.3 - 2016-05-01 - 002.png

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

smaragdus wrote:Unfortunately adware
This is odd, I ran Duplicate & Same Files Searcher a couple of times, both as non-admin user and as administrator, nothing was displayed during the scan nor afterwards:
2016-05-01_084910.jpg
2016-05-01_085454.jpg

smaragdus

#4 Post by smaragdus »

@I am Baas
This is odd, I ran Duplicate & Same Files Searcher a couple of times, both as non-admin user and as administrator, nothing was displayed during the scan nor afterwards:
Yes, it is. I have no explanation. I tested it several times and it always showed ads after a search was completed. However Softpedia has also labelled Duplicate & Same Files Searcher adware, both the installer and the portable versions, in the Softpedia screen-shots I also see ads. As far as I know the last version of Duplicate & Same Files Searcher which doesn't show ads is 3.0.2.50301, but its "portable" version is not portable (settings in AppData).

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: I tend to avoid programs that were previously listed as adware, but I've been trying to cleanup a LOT of files lately. This program does not appear to have adware and does appear to write settings locally to the \Settings folder. I didn't run a thorough test.

I am still looking for programs that try to find similarity between files and not just a 1:1 duplicate. No luck here, though it did work well in limited testing.

Softpedia is listed as freeware: https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE- ... cher.shtml ... Changelog: http://malich.ru/duplicate_searcher_changelog.aspx

vevy

#6 Post by vevy »

webfork wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:41 pm I am still looking for programs that try to find similarity between files and not just a 1:1 duplicate. No luck here, though it did work well in limited testing.
Define similar. Photos or what?

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

vevy wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:46 am Define similar. Photos or what?
While text file similarity is what I'm most interested in, I have bunch of old, overlapping backups that I'd like to have checked by a real duplicate checker program that can find similar media as well (photos, music, movies, etc.). I realize I may need to go commercial for some of those.