WatchMe - advanced timer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

WatchMe - advanced timer

#1 Post by webfork »

Remarkably cool, intelligent timer program for keeping track of multiple projects. It doesn't appear to be in development anymore but I'm sure someone here will find this useful.

Steps:
  1. Download, extract, and launch WatchMe.exe and then immediately close the program
  2. Copy the file C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Flamebrain Technologies Inc\WatchMe\WatchMeConfig.xml to the application folder
  3. Launch WatchMe.exe
Optionally, delete the folder Flamebrain Technologies Inc in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\. I tried just creating an empty WatchMeConfig.xml file but the program complains when you do so.

Status: Portable, not stealth, writes to \AppData\Local\GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT (edit: see following posts)

License: Freeware – a bit between donationware and liteware as you have to donate to unlock one of the features (stop timers when suspended)

Screenshot:

(Updated [thanks billon])

Image Note: the screenshot above is APNG meaning it's animated but not for Chrome or Internet Explorer users. The GIF version (which you can see here) is twice as big.

Websites:
http://www.flamebrain.com
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-En ... chMe.shtml

billon

Re: WatchMe - advanced timer

#2 Post by billon »

writes to \AppData\Local\GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT
All dotnet apps touch that file, so it's stealth
image above is APNG
That's cool, but image not "clear", there visible remaining "shadows" of previous frames, may be Imgur corrupted something?
BTW, what program do you use for APNG? Convert from GIF? From video?

TP109

#3 Post by TP109 »

edited 4/25/16
Nice find. Also could use a yaP launcher with the following settings:

Code: Select all

[GENERAL]
application = App\watchme.exe
; commandline =
; workdir =

[BEFORE]
dir = %Appdata%\Flamebrain Technologies Inc\WatchMe
regkey = HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Flamebrain\WatchMe

[AFTER]
-dir = %Appdata%\Flamebrain Technologies Inc :: ifempty
-regkey = HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Flamebrain\WatchMe
Last edited by TP109 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

Tested WatchMe v2.4.1: Portable (not stealth)

Writes to the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Flamebrain\WatchMe
webfork wrote:[*] Copy the file C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Flamebrain Technologies Inc\WatchMe\WatchMeConfig.xml to the application folder
You can do that under Manage Data Files:
2016-04-23_101142.jpg

Check for update is set to Once a Week by default; this behavior can be changed under settings.

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote: Note that the image above is APNG meaning it's animated but not for Internet Explorer users and Chrome needs a plugin. It's 30% smaller than the exact same GIF.
The Chrome extension doesn't work. According to reviews in Chrome Web Store, it stopped working in February. Likely a Chrome update changed something.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:The Chrome extension doesn't work. According to reviews in Chrome Web Store, it stopped working in February. Likely a Chrome update changed something.
Dang. Updating entry.
I am Baas wrote:Writes to the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Flamebrain\WatchMe
Dang again. I'm still learning my way around Sandboxie (I was using ZSoft for a long time) so that's on me.
billon wrote:That's cool, but image not "clear", there visible remaining "shadows" of previous frames, may be Imgur corrupted something?
Dang for the 3rd time. No, I was experimenting with AnimateGIF and it turns out - on higher compression settings - it bleeds between frames. I switched back to PhotoScape.
billon wrote:BTW, what program do you use for APNG? Convert from GIF? From video?
PngOptimizer does an amazing job.
billon wrote:
writes to \AppData\Local\GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT
All dotnet apps touch that file, so it's stealth
Good to know, thanks.

smaragdus

Re: WatchMe 2.4.2

#7 Post by smaragdus »

Remarkably cool, intelligent timer program for keeping track of multiple projects. It doesn't appear to be in development anymore but I'm sure someone here will find this useful.
WatchMe is still in development, version 2.4.2 was released on 2016.07.19, change log.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

The program is still seeing updates:
I just released version 2.4.8 of WatchMe which includes a number of new features related to countdowns including the ability to a countdown to automatically reset and also start/stop another timer or timer.

These features should be helpful to a number of you, including those that make use of the Pomodoro Technique. Set up a countdown for your work period, then have it automatically reset and then start a second countdown for you rest period.
http://www.flamebrain.com/2018/03/versi ... -released/

I'm really pleased to see the Pomodoro Technique as I really enjoy that. Also it looks like there's some freemium elements:

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

A few related notes after more testing:

* I love the "how annoying can i be" controls that disable various warning messages. That's great interface design :)

* I can't get it to minimize to tray in Windows 10 despite that being checked in the options.

* Really needs a Pomodoro-specific timer with a countdown followed by a timer, followed by a repeat.

Extract steps:

1. Download and extract to a folder of your choice
2. Launch WatchMe.exe
3. From the menu select System and choose Manage Data Files
4. Select Move these files to a different folder and choose the application folder (from step 1).

Path portability: yes

xor

#10 Post by xor »

I heve been using Free Countdown timer lately and I've been happy with it.

FileHandler

#11 Post by FileHandler »

What I really like about WatchMe are the customizable colors for each message. And there's just something about the unobtrusive, friendly reminders - they're not as bossy and demanding as the more aggressive alarmclocks out there.

xor wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:36 am I heve been using Free Countdown timer lately and I've been happy with it.
Been using it for years. Whenever I need to be really really sure of getting notified and not miss it. It does all the heavy lifting, turns your speakers ON if they were set to off, cranks up the volume - and puts it back to where it was before the alarm went off - even yanks your machine out of sleep mode.

I wonder why my exe-file is much smaller than the one from your link aobve?
Here is another link with a smaller exe:
http://freealarmclocksoftware.com/

xor

#12 Post by xor »

FileHandler wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:11 am I wonder why my exe-file is much smaller than the one from your link aobve?
Here is another link with a smaller exe:
http://freealarmclocksoftware.com/
May be it's a shorter file name :lol:

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

New version out ...

Version 2.5.6 (19-Dec-2020)

BUG: Fixed issue with “Column Name is constrained to be unique” error when opening some older configuration files.

Version 2.5.5 (23-Sep-2020)

You can now copy a single timer’s info to the clipboard using the Copy to Clipboard function (Pro only).
    When copying to the clipboard, flag info can be copied via the [FLAG] placeholder.
    BUG: Made Timer dropdown on Copy to Clipboard dialog wider to accommodate longer timer names.
    BUG: Output to file Option for Countdowns is no longer disabled.
    BUG: Note text no longer highlighted after an alert fires (to avoid causing accidental deletion).

Version 2.5.4 (25-Apr-2020)

When deleting the active tab, the next tab becomes active.
    New option to save a tab as a template file (WMT file) that can be loaded at a later time or shared with others (Pro Only).
    When a flag is set on a timer or countdown, the textbox on the control changes to match the flag colour.
    If a hotkey is set on a timer, countdown, or counter, holding down shift + hotkey will reset the time/count.
    BUG: Fixed issue with right-click menu on a timer taking a long time to load when you have a lot of timers.

Version 2.5.3 (06-Apr-2020)

You can now move time from one timer to another. (Pro only)
    You can now move time from one timer to another. (Pro only)
    The Delete button for timers, countdowns, and counters have been moved to the far right to avoid accidental deletion.
    BUG: Fixed issue with the selected timer format in Options (Ctrl-O) not matching the format displayed in the timers.
    The time from a timer/countdown can now be live fed to a text file. (Pro only)

Version 2.5.2 (30-Aug-2019)

BUG: Fixed “invalid cast” issue when first launching WatchMe when you don’t have an existing WatchMeConfig.xml file * BUG: Fixed “invalid cast” issue when first launching WatchMe when you don’t have an existing WatchMeConfig.xml file.
    BUG: Fixed issue with Increment Counter checkbox not working when setting up options for a Countdown.

http://www.flamebrain.com/watchme-release-notes/

outatime

#14 Post by outatime »

New version out ...

Version 2.6.1 (08-Mar-2022)

BUG: “Output To File” error when loading a template file (*.WMT) was fixed.

Version 2.6.0 (06-Mar-2022)

A new timer format (Quarters of an hour) was added. This new format will round the time to the nearest quarter of an hour.
    You can now copy a tab (incuding timers and times)by selecting the “System > Clone Active Tab” menu. (Pro only)
    When using the “Output to file” functionality (https://www.flamebrain.com/help/output-a-timer-to-a-file), the application now remembers which timers have been set to output to a file after you close the applicaiton and re-open (Pro only).
    BUG: Small issue with the online version check was fixed.
    BUG: When moving files (Manage Data Files > Move these files to a different folder) any .CTF files in the same directory will now be moved to the new destination.

http://www.flamebrain.com/watchme-release-notes/

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

Apparently, WatchMe v2.7.0[.4] has already been released (changelog at https://www.flamebrain.com/watchme-release-notes/).

System Requirements
  • Windows 10 or Windows 11
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 or higher

This latest version appears to be freemium, BTW.

Data files info located at https://www.flamebrain.com/help/watchmes-files/ might be useful, too.