Telegram - cross platform, secure chat

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: Telegram - cross platform, secure chat

#46 Post by webfork » Wed May 30, 2018 10:24 am

I was reluctant to add the program to the database because it requires a phone number, which seems problematic for several reasons. Still, it maintains advantages over many similar tools including license, resource usage, and simplicity so ...

Please vote: https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2964
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

Midas

#47 Post by Midas » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:21 am

I'm still using the mobile Telegram client and finally decided to test the desktop version, only to be hit with a subtle (but not really minor) portability snag. You see, one of the appeals of Telegram is how it syncs your account contents across installs and devices. To do this, Telegram needs to keep user files somewhere on local storage. By delving into settings, the user is confronted with three options for their location, as pictured below.

The first option is obviously system dependent. The more intuitive option being the last, but as it doesn't take user input results in an absolute path and thus is really non-portable. After some searching, a ticket submitted back in 2015 and answered by (a now departed) Telegram "collaborator" suggests that the second option is the right one for portability. Can anyone here please confirm?
You can choose the second option, it is right what you need -- temp dir in app folder.

Notwithstanding, I (finally, again) upvoted Telegram's database entry, given how it has been such a consistent and fit-to-purpose offer.

Lastly, I just want to recommend F-Droid's mobile build yet again: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.telegram.messenger/.

JohnTHaller

#48 Post by JohnTHaller » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Midas wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:21 am
The first option is obviously system dependent. The more intuitive option being the last, but as it doesn't take user input results in an absolute path and thus is really non-portable. After some searching, a ticket submitted back in 2015 and answered by (a now departed) Telegram "collaborator" suggests that the second option is the right one for portability. Can anyone here please confirm?
I believe this is the case. Note that it will temporarily store them locally.

It's odd that the portable client doesn't set this by default. Unfortunately, there is no way to set it like that by default without a full settings file. And a third party launcher can't adjust the paths due to the settings being encrypted. I have Telegram Portable configured to warn the user about this on first launch.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Midas

#49 Post by Midas » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:50 am

Thanks for your confirmation JohnTHaller. Much appreciated. 8)