Dsynchronize - file and folder synchronization

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
shnbwmn

Re: Dsynchronize - file and folder synchronization

#16 Post by shnbwmn »

... kinda offtopic ...
smaragdus wrote:... I find the the new interface very ugly ...

Too bad that nowadays almost every developer is following the abominable M$ flat style. If this disgusting trend persists (I am sure it will) I will soon be using only legacy software.
Highly subjective, but I'm curious: why do you consider it ugly & disgusting? I find it to be clear and useable - automatically beautiful. UI design has been gravitating towards minimalism long before Microsoft became involved. The entire field of design has been heading towards it since the 50s at least. True ugliness is applying a style without thinking it through, breaking the cardinal rule of design: all things considered. Done correctly or not, the style is not to blame.

Look at the command-line: it's a perfect design because its sole element - text - is the sum of its function. Nothing can be removed. This is the simplicity that UIs now strive for. This doesn't mean rich design elements are dismissed, but considered when they add to the function, as Google is doing with Material Design. Unix back in the day knew this all too well:
Doug McIlroy wrote:Everything was small... and my heart sinks for Linux when I see the size of it. [...] The manual page, which really used to be a manual page, is now a small volume, with a thousand options... We used to sit around in the Unix Room saying, 'What can we throw out? Why is there this option?' It's often because there is some deficiency in the basic design — you didn't really hit the right design point. Instead of adding an option, think about what was forcing you to add that option.
The developer of DSynchronise took into consideration what his audience wants, and they don't want out-of-place gradients. They've been shown a better way courtesy good design. What is questionable is that weak circular symbol he used to replace the arrows ... dammit Dimio ...
Last edited by shnbwmn on Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xor

#17 Post by xor »

KISS rule has always been a classic rule of thumb :roll:

shnbwmn

#18 Post by shnbwmn »

xor wrote:KISS rule has always been a classic rule of thumb
That's the point I was making. However you're confusing general simplicity with minimalism as I was referring to it. By the way, why is it that when this classic rule of thumb is applied to an interface, it gets ridiculed with words like "disgusting," "ugly" and "abominable"? Its implementation could be better, yes, but the core principle of "flat design" doesn't deserve such harshness, and neither does Microsoft.

bitcoin

#19 Post by bitcoin »

another update - to v2.38.82

starshakur

#20 Post by starshakur »

Is my system at fault (Windows 10, up to date) or why does the font on dsynchronize latest version look like crap (dIfferent fonts and sizes?

First time using it, so i don't know if previous versions look the same...

JohnTHaller

#21 Post by JohnTHaller »

starshakur wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:33 pm Is my system at fault (Windows 10, up to date) or why does the font on dsynchronize latest version look like crap (dIfferent fonts and sizes?

First time using it, so i don't know if previous versions look the same...
It's the app
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

starshakur

#22 Post by starshakur »

JohnTHaller wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:45 pm It's the app
Thanks, does it always look like this or is it just the latest version?

Midas

#23 Post by Midas »

:idea: If you mean app UI blurriness, it might be improved by right-clicking and selecting "Change high DPI settings" (check "High DPI settings override" and select "Application" from the drop-down).

starshakur

#24 Post by starshakur »

Midas wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:12 am :idea: If you mean app UI blurriness, it might be improved by right-clicking and selecting "Change high DPI settings" (check "High DPI settings override" and select "Application" from the drop-down).
What i mean is the different font and font sizes.