Windows 9 is... Windows 10

Any topic that does not fit into the other categories.
webfork

Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

#286 Post by webfork » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Midas wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:33 pm
I'm going to add the news about changes in Microsoft Edge browser rendering engine here, as this topic has the highest number of mentions of it...
I did think it was weird that Microsoft was making this big, ongoing open source push everywhere but a place that it might restore their relevance in a dramatic way: the browser.

For my own experience, I know of two large organizations who were Microsoft shops that unabashedly avoided Edge in favor of Internet Explorer, and showed no signs of switching ahead of this news. Now I have little doubt they'll hang on to IE as long as possible and then just bump everyone to Chrome. Sure, Microsoft will put out a "Bing Browser" (I'm choosing that name because it's just Chrome with a bing.com home page), but I can't imagine why anyone would use it.
Last edited by webfork on Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SYSTEM

#287 Post by SYSTEM » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:04 pm

The latest Insider build separates Cortana from Search. https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech ... ider-Build
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018

SYSTEM

#288 Post by SYSTEM » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Microsoft is going to allow users to delay updates much longer than currently, especially major updates.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... nsparency/
In previous Windows 10 feature update rollouts, the update installation was automatically initiated on a device once our data gave us confidence that device would have a great update experience. Beginning with the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, users will be more in control of initiating the feature OS update. We will provide notification that an update is available and recommended based on our data, but it will be largely up to the user to initiate when the update occurs. When Windows 10 devices are at, or will soon reach, end of service, Windows update will continue to automatically initiate a feature update; keeping machines supported and receiving monthly updates is critical to device security and ecosystem health.
Extended ability to pause updates for both feature and monthly updates. This extension ability is for all editions of Windows 10, including Home. Based on user feedback we know that any update can come at an inconvenient time, such as when a PC is needed for a big presentation. So, we’re making it possible for all users to pause both feature and monthly updates for up to 35 days (seven days at a time, up to five times). Once the 35-day pause period is reached, users will need to update their device before pausing again.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018

webfork

#289 Post by webfork » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:36 am

SYSTEM wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 pm
Based on user feedback we know that any update can come at an inconvenient time, such as when a PC is needed for a big presentation.
It used to be that if Microsoft did something dumb, it would take them some time to right the ship but they'd usually get to it. But this was a huge problem as far back as Vista. Maybe it took a SVP going through a forced upgrade in a room with other SVPs to finally change attitudes.