Slimjet ([Blink-based] web browser)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

Slimjet ([Blink-based] web browser)

#1 Post by joby_toss »

Previously mentioned by donald here.

http://www.slimbrowser.net/web-browser- ... t-slimjet/
http://www.slimjet.com/en/
https://www.slimjet.com/en/forum/
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... mjet.shtml
FlashPeak wrote:Slimjet is a free web browser that is fast, secure and powerful. It's built on top of the Google Chrome browser but integrates a lot more powerful and convenient features while keeping the same fast browsing speed. Chrome is simple and fast but doesn't include enough options. Slimjet is designed to be more flexible and customizable. Here is a brief list of features built into Slimjet but not available in Chrome:
  • Fully customizable toolbar
    QuickFill form filler
    Youtube video downloader
    Local Weather forecast
    Automatic photo shrinking to reduce upload time
    Photo enhancement before upload
    Facebook integration
    Flexible web page translation
    Type alias instead of long URL from address
    Save web page screenshot
    Auto refresh control
    Multiple proxy switcher with support of socks5 proxy
    Upload clipboard image with a single click
    Address bar typed url history dropdown
    Flexible new tab control options
more...
Since Slimjet is built on top of Chrome browser, all extensions designed for Chrome in Chrome Web Store will be fully compatible with Slimjet.
FAQ wrote:Q: What is the difference between Slimjet, SlimBrowser and SlimBoat?

They are all web browser products from FlashPeak Inc but they are based on different engines. Slimjet is based on Blink engine (the engine behind Chrome from Google). SlimBrowser is based on Trident engine (the engine behind Internet Explorer from Microsoft). SlimBoat is based on the Qt-port of Webkit engine. The three browsers have a similar set of features. Slimjet is the most robust and stable of the three and is most suitable for people who prefer a simple and clean user interface. SlimBrowser is suitable for people who prefer an advanced user interface with as many options as possible. SlimBoat has the smallest memory footprint and run across multiple platforms but might have compatibility issues with a few web sites due to the QtWebkit engine. Slimjet is our top recommendation for Windows users.
FlashPeak wrote:Important Notice about the Portable Version

In the portable version, all the settings and data are stored under the folder where the portable version archive is extracted. If you are running it off a USB disk, make sure it has at least 2G free space. Also, make sure it has reasonable read/write speed. Otherwise you might feel it runs significantly slower than a hard drive installation. If you extract it on the hard disk, DO NOT extract into the program files folder under the system folder (such as c:\program files or c:\program files (x86). Extract it under your personal folder or any folder not on the system drive.

The data and settings between the regular installer version and the portable version are completely independent of each other. If you switch between the two versions, you will have to copy the data between them manually. In the portable version, all the data and settings are stored under the "User Data" within the extraction folder. In the regular version, all the data and settings are stored under the local application data folder. The path is usually like "c:\users\YourUserName\AppData\local\Slimjet\User Data" under Windows Vista or later. It is like "c:\documents and settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Slimjet\User Data" under Windows XP.

Tested v1.1.5: Portable, not stealth (registry key left behind: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FlashPeak\Slimjet").
Download portable version here.
Added to the database here: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2633

rbon

Re: Slimjet

#2 Post by rbon »

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

There is also an experimental 64-bit version available: http://www.slimjet.com/blog/slimjet-64- ... tal-build/

Checker

#4 Post by Checker »

@ rbon: Thanks ... and updated :wink:

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note: SlimBrowser has been given it's own topic.]

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss »

This is the "impossible" feature everyone asked for from the "new" Opera devs:

This is the feature that Chrome devs said they will never implement:

Thank you, Slimjet devs!

tproli

#7 Post by tproli »

l guess I've just found my default browser :)

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

How do you guys like the new homepage design? ;)

smaragdus

#9 Post by smaragdus »

joby_toss wrote:How do you guys like the new homepage design? ;)
I don't like the web-site design but like the browser design, Slimjet seems to be the most capable of all Chrome clones. Now Slimjet has also its own download manager (the so-called 'turbocharged download manager).

tproli

#10 Post by tproli »

I like it though I feel some parts aren't polished, eg. typography and some box-shadows.

the_watcher

#11 Post by the_watcher »

Pretty impressive. Fast, lightweight, lots of functions out-of-the-box.
A nice alternative - especially if you are low on ram

smaragdus

#12 Post by smaragdus »

Has anyone compared the x32 and x64 versions of Slimjet? The developers recommend the x32 ones.
Unfortunately I cannot imagine a Chromium-based browser as my default one but my old pre-Australis version of Firefox is aging and is urging for a replacement but I can't think of any, especially now when Pale Moon has broken compatibility with some add-ons and is sailing away from Firefox.

the_watcher

#13 Post by the_watcher »

I haven't made the move to x64 in any of the browsers i'm using/testing (firefox, slimjet, vivaldi).
Currently i use firefox as my main browser, and moving to a chromium-based one as my main browser is simply out of the question, as of now.
I'll suggest the usual, why don't you try the latest firefox with the Classic Theme Restorer addon?

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss »

I'm using Slimjet x64 as my secondary browser, I think for more than a year, and I can say it's hungry for RAM, but it moves flawlessly (never crashed, never froze, not one single glitch). And it's the only chromium based browser that offers the option to remove the close tab button! The most annoying "feature" of any browser, for me! I'll NEVER use a browser that doesn't give me this option!

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

smaragdus wrote:... my old pre-Australis version of Firefox is aging and is urging for a replacement but I can't think of any, especially now when Pale Moon has broken compatibility with some add-ons and is sailing away from Firefox.

If you could invest some time in getting the hang of K-Meleon, you'd be able to linger in Mozillaland... :P