Resilio Sync (P2P Device Sync; formerly BitTorrent Sync)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

Re: BitTorrent Sync

#16 Post by webfork »

I screwed up the stealth test, but yes it's portable. Does NOT support path portability, meaning if you put the sync folder in E:\portable\BTSync\Folder and then next time you plug in it's F:\portable\BTSync\Folder, you're going to have to re establish the sync. That's really not ideal but if you can work around that issue, I think it still qualifies as portable.

Also, this program totally kicks ass. FINALLY I can start synchronizing my TrueCrypt volume without first compressing it into 20+ zip file chunks to make the file size ceiling every other service requires.

perwhis

#17 Post by perwhis »

I have tested that the program does not write to the register with RegFromApp, and it seems nothing is written there. I have not scanned the disk for any files though, but it does not leave files in the "user" folder, so my guess is that it is stealth.

The program is great to use with big TrueCrypt files, as it will update the file in chunks of 4 MB. However, it can be a good idea to turn off or adjust versioning for these files, as they tend to very quickly fill up the hard-disk space otherwise.

I have "solved" the problem with not supported path portability by just making another folder (e.g. named BTSync_F-disk) with Portable BT Sync (which is no problem as the program is small), and then sync the same folders. This is really not a solution, but at least I don't need to make new associations every time it changes.

Another advantage with this program I think is that it often can pass firewalls without big problems. I e.g. like very much Unison, but for me it is too complicated to set up. BT Sync I find very easy to use.

Midas

#18 Post by Midas »

perwhis wrote:I have "solved" the problem with not supported path portability by just making another folder (e.g. named BTSync_F-disk) with Portable BT Sync (which is no problem as the program is small), and then sync the same folders. This is really not a solution, but at least I don't need to make new associations every time it changes.

I didn't get that, sorry -- do you mean keeping parallel sync folder locations in different computers? What about using junctions or symbolic links? :?

perwhis

#19 Post by perwhis »

In my case I have a multiboot system, where the different systems assign different labels to the disks. I have, like you say, two "parallel folders" named differently so I know when to use which folder. The contents of the folders are the same, i.e. they contain Portable BT Sync, but since the labels are different, the two BT Sync programs are associated with the corresponding label. For example, one BT Sync folder is set up E:\portable\BTSync\Folder and the other BT Sync folder is set up for F:\portable\BTSync\Folder. As I said, this is really not a solution of the problem, but for me it simplifies my work a lot doing it this way. I also use the same "trick" on an external harddisk where I have several Portable BT Sync folders, and I start the one which corresponds to the label that gets assigned to the external harddisk.

Midas

#20 Post by Midas »

I see. Thanks for the explanation. 8)

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

I was looking around the site for programs that work as alternatives to this program and couldn't really find one. The only thing that got close was Tonido (mentioned in the forums awhile back). I don't know how distributed it is and I believe you have to sign up for their service, but there are no file size limits and (evidently) a portable version.

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note: an open alternative to this program Syncthing has been given it's own thread.]

Midas

#23 Post by Midas »

From the BTSync forum discussion (http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/31290 ... e-anymore/) that establishes the demise of BTSync portability:

koldKat wrote:BTSync now "officially" needs 3rd party software in order to run properly (IE9). Unless you're able to make IE9 portable, you're out of luck, unfortunately.

Now, if that isn't an utter lack of empathy for the user base expectations, I don't know what is. :cry:

Here's hoping Syncthing fares better...
Last edited by Midas on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:Here's hoping Syncthing fares better...
Sigh. Agreed. Why in the hell would they make it dependent on IE? Anyway, thanks for the update.

As near as I can tell, IE 8 comes with Win7 by default so that point alone makes it unreliably portable despite whatever wrapper program you could come up with.

guinness

#25 Post by guinness »

The whole issue of it not being Portable anymore doesn't bother me, when convenience trumps Portability. I have found syncthing to be very difficult to implement on my network.

Midas

#26 Post by Midas »

With v2.4, BitTorrent Sync has been rebranded Resilio Sync (https://www.resilio.com/); it now comes in Enterprise, Workgroups, and Individuals versions -- the later of which includes a free version (for a comparison matrix see https://www.resilio.com/individuals/compare/).

The clear corporate bent and the loss of portability makes all of it just another non sequitur, I'm afraid... :(

Reviewed at www.ghacks.net /2016/09/23/resilio-sync-2-4-released-former-bittorrent-sync/.

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:The clear corporate bent and the loss of portability makes all of it just another non sequitur, I'm afraid... :(
Well, at least they pulled off the file and folder limitations. Those were absurd in light of the fact that it's serverless.

That said, I'm probably going to avoid this going forward.
Last edited by webfork on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (better end note)

webfork

Re: Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync) - P2P Device Sync

#28 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: while a free version of Resilio Sync is available and has some functionality and works on most devices, the open alternative Syncthing is also highly recommended.

Midas

Re: Resilio Sync (P2P Device Sync; formerly BitTorrent Sync)

#30 Post by Midas »

For lack of a better option (that I was able to find), I'm posting here a piece of news I came across regarding the official BitTorrent current owner as a sort of "users beware" warning...
Employees had mixed opinions when BitTorrent was acquired. None of them realized how much their steady, quiet work environment would be upended as [Justin] Sun's bravado and self-promotion steered the company into the center of the US and China's dangerous geopolitical conflict -- the trade war -- all in an effort to, as Sun might say, get the pump on the coin.