Backup drive setup using TrueCrypt and AutoVer

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

Backup drive setup using TrueCrypt and AutoVer

#1 Post by webfork » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Not far off from a related thread

Background: I have an SD card slot that I never use on my laptop so I decided I wanted to make it a document backup point. However, I was a little worried about someone just pulling out the card and walking off with it, so I setup some basic security.

Steps
  1. Find an unused SD card (I had an old 2 gig sitting around gathering dust)
  2. Reformat it to NTFS (I have had problems with files getting corrupted on FAT drives)
  3. Using TrueCrypt, create an encrypted volume on the card (I'm aware there's a way to just encrypt the entire drive, but I'm keeping things simple)
  4. Rather than using a password, I created a keyfile. Because the operating system is already encrypted and behind a system password, I'm reasonably confident a local file is secure enough. TrueCrypt has a keyfile creation tool built-in, but you could use almost any file above 5k and it would be astonishingly hard to break without the original.
  5. I then created a batch file to mount it:

Code: Select all

@echo off
    title Mounting TrueCrypt Volume
    "C:\Portable\TrueCrypt\TrueCrypt.exe" /auto /quit background /letterk /volume /keyfile C:\Portable\truecrypt_keyfile.txt "g:\backup.tc"
    exit
    • Most users are probably clear on this, but just in case: the TrueCrypt folder is in C:\Portable\TrueCrypt\TrueCrypt.exe and the keyfile is in C:\Portable\truecrypt_keyfile.txt.
  6. I then setup AutoVer to save .doc, .docx, and .odt files over to the drive. (put "*.doc;*.docx;*.odt" in the "include files" section of the Advanced tab)

To quickly dismount the TrueCrypt volume:

Code: Select all

@echo off
    title Dismounting TrueCrypt Volume
    "C:\dontbkup\Portable\TrueCrypt\TrueCrypt.exe" /quit /dismount j
    exit
As before, thoughts/suggestions on this setup are welcome.