Qmmp (Qt-based Media Player)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
thepiney

Re: Qmmp (Qt-based Media Player)

#31 Post by thepiney »

Either option works and as I still have some quite old systems running XP/Vista and now Win7, it would be nice to have both entries or a note on a single entry.

billon

#32 Post by billon »

Okay. changed to v1.3.6,, mentioned QT4 branch for XP - Visra users.
No need to create separate entry.
Andrew Lee wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:15 pm KeePass
Different case.
Look, for example, at XAMPP, there are always three releases with different PHP versions, we are only list senior version, nobody complains.

webfork

#33 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:15 pm Lemme know what you think. Cheers!
Thanks for the effort to accommodate both camps.
billon wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:21 pm Look, for example, at XAMPP, there are always three releases with different PHP versions, we are only list senior version, nobody complains.
Help me out here: I remember there used to be a "lite" version of XAMPP (it's still mentioned). However, I'm looking now at the available downloads and I'm only seeing one available portable distribution and nothing about a lite OR one with various PHP options. Where's that located?

Anyway, the difficulty with Qmmp is that there wasn't an obvious forerunner for which should come first and the dev listed them as roughly equal/ Similarly, if the XAMPP developer was listing several PHP versions without a clear preference, it would *definitely* be a question for the community. I know very little about PHP, so what version we would point folks to as the default would be something we'd need to get feedback on. If the latest PHP is actually more cutting edge/nightly type situation, I'd aim for an earlier release.

billon

#34 Post by billon »

webfork wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:39 pm However, I'm looking now at the available downloads and I'm only seeing one available portable distribution and nothing about a lite OR one with various PHP options. Where's that located?
Latest releases from December 27, 7.4.1, 7.3.13, 7.2.26, corresponding PHP versions. Why are there different PHP branches in development I don't know ether.

webfork

#35 Post by webfork »

billon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:00 am
webfork wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:39 pm However, I'm looking now at the available downloads and I'm only seeing one available portable distribution and nothing about a lite OR one with various PHP options. Where's that located?
Latest releases from December 27, 7.4.1, 7.3.13, 7.2.26, corresponding PHP versions. Why are there different PHP branches in development I don't know ether.
Oh I see now:

I just spent a lot of time digging through the XAMPP site and I can't get a clear sense of why you'd want to use one of the earlier versions that uses an earlier PHP. It's also unclear from the changelog whether anything OTHER than the PHP version has been updated in the resulting download. So this is an open question for me.

SYSTEM

#36 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:35 pm I just spent a lot of time digging through the XAMPP site and I can't get a clear sense of why you'd want to use one of the earlier versions that uses an earlier PHP.
In some rare cases, old PHP code behaves differently when ran on a newer version of PHP. That's why developers writing PHP code often want to defer upgrading until they have time to go over the changes. (Sadly, many companies tend to put if off as long as possible and run ancient versions of PHP as a result - sometimes even versions which have gone out of support and have known security vulnerabilities.)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#37 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:33 pm In some rare cases, old PHP code behaves differently
Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for the background.

Midas

#38 Post by Midas »

Thanks for the valuable input. Glad the issue is settled, then. 8)

BTW, Ghacks.net review at www.ghacks.net /2020/01/17/qmmp-is-a-freeware-music-player-that-looks-like-winamp/.

Midas

#39 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Qmmp v1.5.4 (stable) and v2.0.4 (development) released 2022-03-28 (changes at https://qmmp.ylsoftware.com/; Windows downloads at http://qmmp.ylsoftware.com/files/windows/).

Regarding the multiple Qmmp versions, I found the following table at the SF.net Qmmp repo:

Code: Select all

Following table should help you to select right tarball for your Qt version.

----------------------------------------------------------------
| Supported Qt versions     | 4.6-4.8 | 5.4-5.15 | 6.1 or higher |
| Stable Qmmp versions      | 0.12.x  | 1.5.x    | -             |
| Development Qmmp versions |    -    | 1.6.0[+] | 2.0.0[+]      |

Considering that, in my experience, Qmmp development versions are pretty stable and it isn't a mission critical software, I'd recommend updating TPFC database entry to the latest development version. Input welcome.

Andrew Lee

#40 Post by Andrew Lee »

Midas wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:28 am Considering that, in my experience, Qmmp development versions are pretty stable and it isn't a mission critical software, I'd recommend updating TPFC database entry to the latest development version. Input welcome.
You have my support for this suggestion.

Midas

#41 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Qmmp stable v1.6.3 and v2.1.3 released 2023-02-29 (changes at https://qmmp.ylsoftware.com/).

FYI, here's the updated Qmmp versions table from https://sourceforge.net/projects/qmmp-dev/files/qmmp/:

Code: Select all

----------------------------------------------------------------|
| Supported Qt versions     | 4.6-4.8 | 5.5-5.15 | 6.2 or higher |
| Stable Qmmp versions      | 0.12.x  | 1.6.x    | 2.1.x         |
| Development Qmmp versions |    -    |    -     | 2.2.0         |
Note that Qmmp's version currently in TPFC's database isn't even mentioned therein...