Zotero Standalone Portable

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
3K3

#1 Post by 3K3 »

===================================
New launcher is available for download: version 1.0.0.1
===================================

I’m sharing my launcher for Zotero Standalone (Zotero) and a guide how to make portable package.

About Zotero

Zotero [zoh-TAIR-oh] is a free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share your research sources.

Collect
Grab your research with a single click.
A personal research assistant.
Zotero is the only research tool that automatically senses content, allowing you to add it to your personal library with a single click. Whether you're searching for a preprint on arXiv.org, a journal article from JSTOR, a news story from the New York Times, or a book from your university library catalog, Zotero has you covered with support for thousands of sites.
Store anything.
Zotero collects all your research in a single, searchable interface. You can add PDFs, images, audio and video files, snapshots of web pages, and really anything else. Zotero automatically indexes the full-text content of your library, enabling you to find exactly what you're looking for with just a few keystrokes.

Organize
It has never been easier to sort your research.
Say goodbye to folders.
Zotero organizes your research into collections that act like iTunes playlists. Research items can be added to any number of named collections and subcollections, which in turn can be organized however you like. With saved searches, you can create smart collections that automatically fill with relevant materials as you add them to your library.
Tag it.
Assign tags to your library items to organize your research using your own keywords. The tag selector enables you to filter your library instantly to view matching items. Zotero can even use database and library data to tag items automatically as you add them.

Cite
You’re never more than a click away from a bibliography.
Cite perfectly.
Whether you need to create footnotes, endnotes, in-text citations, or bibliographies, Zotero will do all the dirty work for you, leaving you free to focus on your writing. Create citations in Word and OpenOffice without ever leaving your word processor and add references to an email, a Google Doc, or some other editor simply by dragging one or more references out of Zotero.
Always in style.
Ready to submit your manuscript to Tropical Doctor or French Historical Studies? We've got you covered: with native integration of the powerful and flexible Citation Style Language (CSL), Zotero supports thousands of publication formats with more styles added daily.

Sync
Your data is always where you need it.
Research everywhere.
Zotero automatically synchronizes your data across as many devices as you choose. Add to your research library on your work PC, and organize your collections on your home laptop. All of your notes, files, and bibliographic data remain seamlessly and silently up to date. Returning from field work? Your data will be waiting for you when you get home.
Painless data transfer.
Upgrading to a new computer? Zotero will automatically pull down a complete copy of your research library from our server network. Even if you don't yet have Zotero installed, you can always access your research from any web browser in the world.

Collaborate
Work together and share with the world.
Works well with others.
Create and join research groups to focus on any topic you choose. Each group can share its own research library, complete with files, bibliographic data, notes, and discussion threads. Tag and analyze your research together with others. Work with a single colleague or an entire class: Zotero groups can include as many members as you please.
Share with the world. Or not.
Zotero groups can be private or public, open or closed. You decide. For example, you and a few colleagues might initially work on a research project in private. After publication, why not share your research notes and library with the world?

Homepage

About the Launcher

- Launcher makes Zotero fully portable.
- Supports automatic updates: once you build your portable package, you can use Zotero's updater to update Zotero Portable.
- Supports relative paths: automatically changes drive letter.
- Enables easy to create, switch and backup Zotero Portable user profile(s).
- Supports Zotero Word and Libre(Open)Office plug-ins.
- Enables you to start Zotero Portable at login.

Launcher Config Options (Launcher.ini)

Note: 'Launcher.ini' file is located in Zotero Portable -> Profiles folder.

[Zotero]
Profile Folder= Specify profile folder name that you would like to create or use. Profile folder(s) is(are) located in Profiles folder: Zotero Portable -> Profiles
ZP Folder Icon= 1|0|Absolute\Full\Path\of\the\Custom\Icon
1 - default ZP folder icon
0 - ZP folder icon is disabled

[Windows Integration]
Start Zotero At Login= (1|0) Launcher puts startup value in Windows registry. Option is disabled by default.
Desktop Shortcut= (1|0) Creates shortcut (Zotero Portable) on user's desktop. Option is disabled by default.
Start Menu Shortcut= (1|0) Creates shortcut (Zotero Portable) in user's start menu. Option is disabled by default.

Guide

- Download and extract 'ZoteroP_Launcher.zip' to location of your choice (USB,...).
- Download the installer.
Option #1
Open the installer with archiving program like 7-Zip (WinRAR, HaoZip,...) and extract the contents of 'core' folder into Zotero Portable -> Zotero folder.
Option #2
Run the installer and wait for extraction process to finish. Leave Setup wizard open and look in your %Temp% folder for folder with the name like '7zXY.tmp'. In this 7zsomething folder should be 'core' folder. Copy the contents of 'core' folder into Zotero Portable -> Zotero folder.
Close Setup wizard.

Use 'Zotero(P).exe' in Zotero Portable folder to start Zotero Portable.

Launcher Download

Zotero Portable (Launcher)
MD5: E17057B38957045E0BFE2B833AFDF82F (zip archive)

Enjoy!
Last edited by 3K3 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

webfork

Re: Zotero Standalone Portable

#2 Post by webfork »

For reference, Zotero is also mentioned here.

Midas

Re: Qnotero

#3 Post by Midas »

Anyone interested in Zotero should also check free OSS Qnotero:
http://www.cogsci.nl/software/qnotero wrote:Qnotero provides lightning quick access to your Zotero references. Zotero is an excellent open source reference manager, but it lacks a simple and direct way to access your references at the click of a button. That is why I created this simple program, which lives in the system tray and allows you to search through your references by Author and/ or Year of Publication. If a PDF file is attached to a reference you can open it directly from within Qnotero.

Current Qnotero version is v0.48 -- a 'portable' (untested!) package for Windows is available at http://www.cogsci.nl/software/qnotero.

starstuff

#4 Post by starstuff »

@3K3

hello 3k3, can you repost zotero portable launcher? thanks!

3K3

#5 Post by 3K3 »

starstuff wrote:@3K3

Hello starstuff,
I'm working on the update.

3K3

#6 Post by 3K3 »

3K3 wrote:
starstuff wrote:@3K3

Hello starstuff,
I'm working on the update.
Brand new launcher is available for download.

starstuff

#7 Post by starstuff »

hello 3K3,

thanks for the update! i was able to try it out, im not sure if its by design, or not but im getting a folder with name 26.0.0.5087 instead of Zotero, it seems that the launcher changes the Zotero folder to the 26.0.0.5087 name?

using
Zotero-4.0.17_setup.exe
latest ZoteroP launcher

thank you!

3K3

#8 Post by 3K3 »

starstuff wrote:hello 3K3,

thanks for the update! i was able to try it out, im not sure if its by design, or not but im getting a folder with name 26.0.0.5087 instead of Zotero, it seems that the launcher changes the Zotero folder to the 26.0.0.5087 name?
Hi,
You’re welcome starstuff.
Nothing to worry - it’s normal behavior (launcher updating program folder name).

FrugalBen

#9 Post by FrugalBen »

I have tried repeatedly to download this installer but it gets blocked by Avast and blocked by Google Chrome when Avast is turned off.

Message from Avast is basically the same as from Chrome without Avast:

URL hxxp://download1143.mediafire.com/i38ltdqqy22g/a9s5medh4z81vla/ZoteroP_Launcher.zip|Zotero Portable\Zotero(P).exe

Infection: Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]

Relax, your avast! just saved you from a virus.

Can you illuminate this? Thanks.

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

I think that's just Avast and Chrome overzealously trying to prove they're up to the task... :?

FYI, here's Portable Zotero launcher executable report from Virustotal:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/a3c4 ... /analysis/

FrugalBen

#11 Post by FrugalBen »

Thanks, Midas

I switched To Firefox, downloaded the file with Avast disabled and then sent the file to three other online file scanners. ([http://freebies.about.com/od/computerfr ... s-scan.htm)

Same results you obtained: No malware found.

http://www.thriftslut.com

Midas

Re: Qnotero

#12 Post by Midas »

Qnotero v1.0 released (changelog and download at http://github.com/smathot/qnotero/releases).

Midas

#13 Post by Midas »

Alas, apparently the dumbing down of our desktops progresses apace... :(

I'll explain: roughly a year ago, Zotero issued a new dot release (v5.0), with fairly significant changes that affect what was an encouraging take on portability.

While researching the current status, Zotero's own FAQ still sends out a mildly positive signal:
A community-developed portable version of Zotero is available...

But when you progress to Zotero's forum topic where portability is discussed, you'll quickly discover that one such change was dropping support for custom location profiles and forcing a move to '%APPDATA%' instead.
Storing the data directory within the profile directory just isn't a supported configuration anymore, so Zotero considers that a legacy location and tries to migrate out of there.

There's still a PAF Zotero version being developed at https://github.com/pedrom34/ZoteroPortable, but even that one struggles with the new profile policy.

I'm afraid that even after seeing Mendeley's debacle (viewtopic.php?t=17021), Zotero has chosen to thread the same path on the quest for the cloud(ed)-everything holy grail. :cry:

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

It took me a few years but I finally got around to this. Unfortunately the Zotero launcher link is down so I retested with my standard methods ...

Steps:

1. Download setup file
2. Don't run, but open in 7zip
3. Copy files from the CORE subfolder to a destination of your choice and launch

Status: Not portable. Writes to Appdata, Roaming, and the User folder.

THere is a zotero program in development using PA's system that's been underway for some time now. I'm (slowly) testing that now.

Midas

Re: ZoteroPortable

#15 Post by Midas »

Quick note to mention ZoteroPortable -- a PAF launcher currently at v5.0 Development Test 58, wrapping the latest official Zotero desktop v5.0.80: https://github.com/pedrom34/ZoteroPortable.

BTW, I retested 3K3 custom Zotero launcher download link and found out it's still alive.