Foxmail Portable

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
3K3

Foxmail Portable

#1 Post by 3K3 »

Foxmail Portable

=============================================
New launcher is available for download: version 1.6.0.1.
=============================================

I’m sharing my launcher for Foxmail and a guide how to make portable package.

About Foxmail
_________________________________________________________________________________

* Multi-Account Management
No web sign-in required, intelligent synchronization with web mailbox, and timely remainder for new mails of all accounts.

* Large attachment
Foxmail support large file's sending and temporary storage of QQMail and Tencent Business Mail.

* Exchange protocol supported
Comprehensive support for Exchange protocol. Undo Send, Auto Reply, Remote Management support for your efficient office operation.

* Full-Text Search
As you type your search terms, Foxmail shows results from massive mails instantly. Advanced search as to multiple conditions is also provided.

* More Efficient Mail Operation
Quick Reply, Quick Text, To-do , E-mail Note, and all other features make you more efficient to deal with mails and manage your mailbox.

* Calendar
You can anytime check and edit your schedule, easily create meeting invitation, set reminder for important affairs.

Homepage

About the Launcher
_________________________________________________________________________________

- Launcher makes Foxmail fully portable.
- You can set Foxmail Portable as default mail client.
- You can add attachment(s) via Send To -> Foxmail Portable.
- Supports adding additional dictionaries.
- Launcher enables you to use official installer to build portable package and install updates.

Launcher Config Options (Foxmail.ini)

Note: 'Foxmail.ini' file in App folder is created on the first run.

[Foxmail]
Install Updates=(1|0)When enabled official installer can be used to build and update portable package.
UI Language=Here you can specify user interface language (default is English). Specify lang name without lgb extension.
Dic Folder=Folder name that contains dictionary that you would like to use.
Foxmail comes only with the American dictionary. You can download additional dictionaries - they are in zip archives.
To add dictionary to portable package, create folder in App folder. Extract lang zip archive in the folder that you created and specify folder name in the 'Dic Folder' value.
Add Entries Into Hosts File=(1|0) Launcher can add entries into Hosts file. This feature requires admin rights. Launcher reads values from 'HostsFileEntries.txt' file (created on the first run) in App folder. You can add additional entries in 'HostsFileEntries.txt' file yourself, just put each entry in a separate line.
Set As Default For The Current Session=(1|0) Foxmail is default mail client while running.

[Windows Integration]
Run Foxmail When Windows Starts=(1|0) Foxmail starts with Windows.
Start Minimized=(1|0) Foxmail starts with Windows minimized.
Set As Default=(1|0) Sets Foxmail Portable as default mail client.

How to Build Portable Package, Install Updates (Guide)

- Download and extract 'FMP_Launcher.zip' to location of your choice (USB,...).
- Download the installer.
- Open 'Foxmail.ini' and enable 'Install Updates' option (Install Updates=1). Save change and close the file.
- Run the launcher and leave message window that pops up opened.
- Run the installer and as installation location select App folder (Foxmail Portable -> App). For step by step see the below animated installation guide.
By using this method the installer will (if you are upgrading) automatically import mail messages,... from previous version.
- Move 'uninst.exe' file out of App folder to some other location and run it.
- Close launcher's message window to clean what the official uninstaller left behind on the local PC.

Animated Installation Guide

Use 'Foxmail(P).exe' in Foxmail Portable folder to start Foxmail Portable.

Do not set Foxmail Portable as default mail client through Foxmail's interface, use option in 'Foxmail.ini' file under 'Windows Integration' section: Set As Default=1.

Launcher Download

Foxmail Portable (Launcher)
MD5: 12F0923A5035A4346315B20A02634850 (zip archive)

Enjoy!

===============================
Updates
01.10.2013: Version 1.6.0.1
- Added support for the latest version (7.1.3.52).
- Other minor improvements.

21.07.2013: Version 1.6.0.0
- Added support for the latest version (7.1.2.36).
- Added ability to build (update) portable package using official installer (Install Updates option under Foxmail section).
- New startup splash screen.
- Other minor improvements.
Last edited by 3K3 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:47 am, edited 5 times in total.

Napiophelios

Re: Foxmail Portable

#2 Post by Napiophelios »

I havent had time to try it,but whats the difference between your portable launcher and the one from the Foxmail site?
Is their's not stealth or what?

3K3

#3 Post by 3K3 »

Napiophelios wrote:I havent had time to try it,but whats the difference between your portable launcher and the one from the Foxmail site?
Is their's not stealth or what?
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 721#p52721
Latest version adds even more registry entries,... than the previous ones.
3K3 wrote: - Launcher makes Foxmail fully portable.
Fully portable=doesn't leave traces behind.
All the options under 'Launcher Config Options' section are (I think) a big plus.

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Hi there, 3K3 and thanks for sharing your work. :)

Now, is there a difference from your zipped Foxmail download and the extracted official one? At first look, I saw it contains both 'uninst.exe' and 'wpsdl.dll' files -- the first wouldn't be necessary for a portable app, the second has been flagged as a possible Trojan in the past and is unimportant for Foxmail functioning (it's an adware download extension for Kingsoft Office Suite).

3K3

#5 Post by 3K3 »

Midas wrote:Hi there, 3K3 and thanks for sharing your work. :)
You are welcome. :D
Midas wrote:Now, is there a difference from your zipped Foxmail download and the extracted official one?
My download link points to official Foxmail zip archive (contains 'uninst.exe' and 'wpsdl.exe').

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

Hi there, 3K3. Have you tested the latest release yet? (viewtopic.php?p=65244#p65244)

robertcollier4

#7 Post by robertcollier4 »

Thanks for creating this portable launcher for Foxmail 7.0. I am a previous user of DreamMail but have switched to Foxmail thanks to your portable launcher. I find FoxMail to be much more responsive and have a much cleaner interface than DreamMail.

I tried Foxmail 7.1 with this portable launcher on WinXP SP3 x86. Unfortunately 7.1 writes more registry entries than 7.0. But the 7.1 interface seems an improvement - it is more minimalistic, the Options are much easier to navigate and it also has the ability to switch off entire features such as Calendar and RSS Feeds.

FoxMail 7.1 tried with the FoxMail 7.0 portable launcher from 3K3
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface - many keys created to register interfaces related to ieframe.dll.
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ - Adds values for things such as FriendlyTypeName and MUIVerb and others to internet associations keys such as InternetShortcut, http, https, htmlfile, mhtmlfile, telnet, ftp, rlogin, tn3270
  • C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Foxmail7\Temp-3596 - temp files left behind
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tencent\Foxmail\IE8 - writes settings here
See full details in attached Regshot2 report. Remember this Regshot2 report is only what is not already being picked up by the 7.0 portable launcher.
Attachments
FoxMail71-RegshotReport.zip
(44.16 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
Last edited by robertcollier4 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tproli

#8 Post by tproli »

I cannot confirm "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tencent" registry key on Win7 (with and without admin rights).

I got
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Aerofox
- %Appdata%\Foxmail7

robertcollier4

#9 Post by robertcollier4 »

tproli wrote:I cannot confirm "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tencent" registry key on Win7 (with and without admin rights).

I got
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Aerofox
- %Appdata%\Foxmail7
Are you referring to FoxMail 7.0 or FoxMail 7.1? That report is for FoxMail 7.1.
For FoxMail 7.0 with download links in the original post, the FoxMail 7.0 portable launcher works perfectly for me and leaves nothing behind on WinXP SP3 x86.

tproli

#10 Post by tproli »

7.1 build 2.036. I'm using my own launcher.

robertcollier4

#11 Post by robertcollier4 »

tproli wrote:7.1 build 2.036. I'm using my own launcher.
@tproli - Can you share your 7.1 launcher? I am wanting to use 7.1. Thanks.

@moderator - perhaps these two threads should be merged:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... f=4&t=7130
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... =2&t=20590

tproli

#12 Post by tproli »

Here I updated the ini config for yaP:
http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/#examples

Currently I'm using Foxmail 7.1 with this configuration but perhaps it could be made better.

robertcollier4

#13 Post by robertcollier4 »

Some more entries to add to the yaP launcher INI for 7.1.

But I have found yaP launcher to be quite slow in startup when needing to merge multiple REG files since it uses and waits for individudal calls to reg.exe. Perhaps PortableApps.comLauncherINI is a better solution for portablization solution for Foxmail since it has faster startup times when needing to do registry backups-restores on many different reg keys from many files.

Code: Select all

[GENERAL]
application=App\Foxmail.exe
multipleinstance=2

[DIRECTORIES]
Data\Appdata-FoxMail7=%APPDATA%\Foxmail7

[FILES]
Data=%USERPROFILE%\SendTo\Foxmail.LNK

[REGISTRY KEYS]
Data\HKLM-Classes-Foxmail.reg=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Foxmail
Data\HKLM-Classes-Foxmail-eml.reg=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Foxmail.eml
Data\HKLM-Software-Clients-Mail-Foxmail.reg=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Foxmail
Data\HKCU-Software-Aerofox.reg=HKCU\Software\Aerofox
Data\HKCU-Software-Tencent.reg=HKCU\Software\Tencent
Data\HKCU-Software-Applications-Foxmail.reg=HKCU\Software\Classes\Applications\Foxmail.exe
Data\HKCU-FileExts-eml.reg=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.eml
Data\HKCU-UrlAssociations-mailto.reg=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\mailto
Data\HKLM-Classes-InternetShortcut.reg=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut
Last edited by robertcollier4 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tproli

#14 Post by tproli »

Thanks for sharing.

Most of those reg entries are related to integrating Foxmail into the system (default mail client, etc) so perhaps the "backup" action would be better for them.
If you are about to associate mails with Foxmail using yaP, better to write paths to registry using the REGISTRY VALUES section (together with REGISTRY KEYS export or backup). If you simply backup/restore these reg keys and your Foxmail path changes then those paths in the registry will be invalid (unless Foxmail doesn't corrects them, I haven't tried).

Writing to HKLM is problematic because it requires admin rights (at least on Win7). As I did not get these entries I haven't added to the config file. But if it's true, then "requireadminrights" should be set to 1 or 2.

Yes, yaP may be slow with several reg files but it is more safe this way.

3K3

#15 Post by 3K3 »

Midas wrote:Hi there, 3K3. Have you tested the latest release yet? (http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 244#p65244)
Uf, missed tproli's info about new release. :o
I went working on update for the launcher as soon as I saw your post (and posts from others) here.
robertcollier4 wrote:Thanks for creating this portable launcher for Foxmail 7.0. I am a previous user of DreamMail but have switched to Foxmail thanks to your portable launcher. I find FoxMail to be much more responsive and have a much cleaner interface than DreamMail...
Thanks robertcollier4 for detailed report. It made updating job easier.

@tproli
Thanks tproli for participating in FMP debate.