Softmaker FreeOffice

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

Re: Softmaker FreeOffice

#91 Post by webfork » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:37 pm

billon wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:44 pm
webfork wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:01 pm
I'll definitely get it added to the DB once we get a good test.
:?:
https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1463
Great question ... I'm honestly not sure. I guess because the system I came up with isn't well tested yet, I'm tempted to keep the old version just in case. But you're definitely right that FreeOffice is the successor and when this site updates software, it's with the latest version. What do you think?

freakazoid

#92 Post by freakazoid » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:17 pm

webfork wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:40 pm
Status: Unclear. The program does appear to be portable, but I had a lot of back and forth putting together the process above, so I may have missed something. Anyone that can confirm or dispute the above process is appreciated.
I can confirm registration isn't needed for installation. I found that the install takes forever as it writes a ton of stuff into the registry.

Anyway, after testing webfork's instructions, FreeOffice 2018 works. There are still a few registry entries, but these ones are usually considered minor stuff (WoW64).
webfork wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:40 pm
4. In the destination folder, delete inst folder and the files SoftMakerUpdaterTool.exe and usbstick.exe
webfork, for the 'inst' folder, I would recommend deleting the 'inst/banners' folder and nothing else. The other stuff includes things like 'inst/hunspell', various fonts, bullets, sample data and template files, which is useful. Hunspell is important for spelling, however the rest you can decide to keep or delete at your own discretion.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#93 Post by webfork » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:46 am

freakazoid wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:17 pm
I can confirm registration isn't needed for installation. I found that the install takes forever as it writes a ton of stuff into the registry.

Anyway, after testing webfork's instructions, FreeOffice 2018 works. There are still a few registry entries, but these ones are usually considered minor stuff (WoW64).
Great news, very encouraging.

freakazoid wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:17 pm
... for the 'inst' folder, I would recommend deleting the 'inst/banners' folder and nothing else
Thanks -- I'll re-test with that and see what I get.

h3kt0r

#94 Post by h3kt0r » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:18 am

Hardware Retrocompatibility = "SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 Anniversary Edition" running flawlessly under antiX linux on a 12 years old netbook (Acer ZG5, 32 bit Atom N270) : check.

Same netbook, "Ashampoo Office 2016 Edition" running under WinXP (SP3) :

This version has a built-in utility to produce a portable version as you can see in the following pictures :

I don't know if this utility may be used to portabilize other versions of the program...

Latest version of Microsoft Office won't run on this netbook, i won't even try it.
;p