ShareX - screenshot, screen recorder, uploader, etc.

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Jaex

Re: ShareX - screenshot, screen recorder, uploader, etc.

#136 Post by Jaex »

Reason why this logging issue happens because before ShareX was saving logs when closing. Now it saves them instantly that way if ShareX crash still logs will be saved. But because now log tries to write before portable checks happens, this problem occurs.

Jaex

#137 Post by Jaex »

Special wrote:No worries, bugs happen. I must say, developers like you are awesome to whom listen and try to fix things asap for there users, especially for minorities like us portable app freaks.
I fixed that problem now. Can you re download portable build from https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/releases/tag/v10.4.0 and test it?

Special

#138 Post by Special »

Looks fixed to me. :)

romulous

#139 Post by romulous »

Unfortunately the new 10.9.1 update seems to have broken hotkey registration. Was running 10.8.0 on my system, happily alongside Dropbox and OneDrive. With 10.9.1, ShareX complains that both those apps are preventing it from registering the screen capture hotkeys. They aren't - I disabled screen capture handling in both apps months ago when an older version of ShareX complained about the same thing. Returning to 10.8.0 fixes the problem.

Jaex

#140 Post by Jaex »

romulous wrote:Unfortunately the new 10.9.1 update seems to have broken hotkey registration. Was running 10.8.0 on my system, happily alongside Dropbox and OneDrive. With 10.9.1, ShareX complains that both those apps are preventing it from registering the screen capture hotkeys. They aren't - I disabled screen capture handling in both apps months ago when an older version of ShareX complained about the same thing. Returning to 10.8.0 fixes the problem.
New update not broken hotkey registration. Nothing changed in hotkey codes for years. In OneDrive even when screen capture is disabled still it was holding hotkeys registered so it was problem in OneDrive, not ShareX. Your problem is not solved when you returned to previous version because ShareX re opened in previous version you thinking it is fixed. Also it can't be broken even on purpose because if it tells registration failed then your Windows OS tells that message which means hotkey is already registered. So when Windows not allows registering hotkey more than once what ShareX can do about it?

romulous

#141 Post by romulous »

No hotkey message = fixed. 10.8.0, no message. 10.9.1, message. Pretty simple.

webfork

#142 Post by webfork »

Two video discoveries in working with this program recently:

* ShareX embraced ffmpeg's support for H.265 video. While I didn't see a huge quality / size improvement but I haven't experimented with it a great deal. It's odd that screen recordings ended up being my first exposure to the latest high-compression format.

* The program now works on the active Window (previously you would just draw a box approximating the window). I even setup a hotkey for this.

webfork

#143 Post by webfork »

Just a note that the FFmpeg component of ShareX appears to be hard linked (J:\PortableApps\ShareX\ShareX\Tools\ffmpeg.exe rather than .\ShareX\Tools\ffmpeg.exe), breaking path portability. The workaround here of course is to go into the config and modify the folder but if anyone has a suggestion about how to modify this more effectively, I'd love to add a note to the entry.

webfork

#144 Post by webfork »

ShareX just gets better and better. The new quickmenu options are getting really clear and intuitive. There's a lot of flexibility here.

I tested the OCR component with mixed success. I think it might require an Internet connection and here you can see what it did to a screencap of the interface (left side is the screen, right side is the OCR window):

This reminds me of the quality level of the old Tesseract-based OCR tools. I think I2PDF + PDF XChange or Capture2Text would work a little better. Still, in the absence of other tools, it's far, far better to have some OCR than none.

Jaex

#145 Post by Jaex »

webfork wrote:ShareX just gets better and better. The new quickmenu options are getting really clear and intuitive. There's a lot of flexibility here.

I tested the OCR component with mixed success. I think it might require an Internet connection and here you can see what it did to a screencap of the interface (left side is the screen, right side is the OCR window):

This reminds me of the quality level of the old Tesseract-based OCR tools. I think I2PDF + PDF XChange or Capture2Text would work a little better. Still, in the absence of other tools, it's far, far better to have some OCR than none.
Yes ShareX using online API for OCR. But this is necessary for ShareX because mainly OCR libraries with their language data files bigger than 100mb and not acceptable for small app (5mb) like ShareX.

billon

#146 Post by billon »

ShareX 11.2.1, XP

Code: Select all

ShareX.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error

To run this application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework:

.NETFramework,Version=v4.0

Would you like to download and install .NETFramework,Version=v4.0 now?
I already have dotnet 4.0 and all other programs which requires dotnet 4 works fine

Jaex

#147 Post by Jaex »

@smaragdus I encountered your comment about zip structure problem in http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2409 and fixed it now. If you reported that problem here I would be able to see and fix it more quickly because I receive email notification from this thread.

smaragdus

Re: ShareX 11.3.0

#148 Post by smaragdus »

@Jaex
Thanks for your response. In fact I was addressing not the developer but the updater of ShareX database entry and that was why I didn't post my comment at the forum- I am sure I saw "Pre-release" label when I first downloaded ShareX version 11.3.0 from GitHub and also the download link at ShareX web-site was pointing at version 11.2.1 so I suggested (in fact I was almost sure) that version 11.3.0 was not a stable release.

webfork

#149 Post by webfork »

Jaex wrote:@smaragdus I encountered your comment about zip structure problem
Was just going to submit a bug report about that. Thanks, Jaex & smaragdus.

webfork

#150 Post by webfork »

I noted something in the changelog about an image editor:
Added experimental setting to use ShareX region capture to annotate images instead of using Greenshot image editor (In "Task settings -> Advanced tab -> UseShareXForAnnotation")
Although I really like Greenshot, I'm so far impressed with what it can do:

It's experimental so not all the functions work but it's really coming together.