ShareX - screenshot, screen recorder, uploader, etc.

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

Re: ShareX - screenshot, screen recorder, uploader, etc.

#121 Post by smaragdus »

@Jaex
Do you really think that using Rectange, Rounded rectangle, Ellipse, Triange and Diamond menus is easier now?
For me it is a pain because once I needed just a click to capture the desired shape and now I have to read the tips, activate the numpad and use the hot key. I cannot achieve this on my other laptop because it doesn't have a full keyboard (no numpad). Of course you cannot make anyone happy. In fact I am happy with ShareX version 10.0.0 because I prefer easier access to shapes menus so I chose to keep an older version that is easy to use than switch to a new one with many new features which are not so easy to access.

Jaex

#122 Post by Jaex »

smaragdus wrote:@Jaex
Do you really think that using Rectange, Rounded rectangle, Ellipse, Triange and Diamond menus is easier now?
For me it is a pain because once I needed just a click to capture the desired shape and now I have to read the tips, activate the numpad and use the hot key. I cannot achieve this on my other laptop because it doesn't have a full keyboard (no numpad). Of course you cannot make anyone happy. In fact I am happy with ShareX version 10.0.0 because I prefer easier access to shapes menus so I chose to keep an older version that is easy to use than switch to a new one with many new features which are not so easy to access.
Yes Rectangle is easy to use because it is just renamed to Region and works same.
And those other shapes was very rarely used by users.

smaragdus

#123 Post by smaragdus »

@Jaex
But ShareX remembers last used shape inside Region and if I have used Rounded rectangle for example next time when I click Region and I need Rectangle I will have to use the hot key again. Do as you please, it's your project (an excellent one by the way) but I don't get why the shapes should not be accessible the easy way like it was before- there is enough space. More- the users whose machines don't have full keyboards cannot utilize the hot keys. As for me- I use Rounded rectangle and Ellipse more often than for example Scrolling capture or Webpage capture.
Regards

Jaex

#124 Post by Jaex »

smaragdus wrote:@Jaex
But ShareX remembers last used shape inside Region and if I have used Rounded rectangle for example next time when I click Region and I need Rectangle I will have to use the hot key again. Do as you please, it's your project (an excellent one by the way) but I don't get why the shapes should not be accessible the easy way like it was before- there is enough space. More- the users whose machines don't have full keyboards cannot utilize the hot keys. As for me- I use Rounded rectangle and Ellipse more often than for example Scrolling capture or Webpage capture.
Regards
You can make your own menu using Workflows menu and add rounded rectangle and circle capture items in that menu.

smaragdus

#125 Post by smaragdus »

@Jaex
You can make your own menu using Workflows menu and add rounded rectangle and circle capture items in that menu.
Thank you for the idea, I will try it.

Special

#126 Post by Special »

This program really need a proper import/export of settings button because one would think just coping the ShareX folder with your settings would be enough, but I almost always lose my settings, I upgraded to the new version today and even though my ShareX folder is intact my settings are reset.

Jaex

#127 Post by Jaex »

Special wrote:This program really need a proper import/export of settings button because one would think just coping the ShareX folder with your settings would be enough, but I almost always lose my settings, I upgraded to the new version today and even though my ShareX folder is intact my settings are reset.
I really don't see point of having import/export option. When you can copy 3 setting files from folder what is point of copying them with this export button?

About losing settings when upgrading, I'm actually using latest stable version for normal usage (which is same version everybody using) and when developing keep opening new ShareX version so this simulates upgrading to new version each time because using same setting file. So thousands times I keep opening new ShareX and old ShareX and my settings never reset yet so I'm not sure why yours resetting. Unless you don't update for long time and trying to do update from very old version to latest version.

Special

#128 Post by Special »

Also the latest version creates ShareX/Logs in the Document folder, so I guess this isn't portable anymore?

Jaex

#129 Post by Jaex »

Special wrote:Also the latest version creates ShareX/Logs in the Document folder, so I guess this isn't portable anymore?
Normally my portable zip creator script was supposed to create "Portable" named file but for some reason it is not exist in zip. I'm checking it currently and will fix it asap.

Edit: Look like actually my script creates it correctly but while using 7zip to create that zip file it excludes that "Portable" file. So I'm trying to figure out why now.
Last edited by Jaex on Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaex

#130 Post by Jaex »

Special wrote:Also the latest version creates ShareX/Logs in the Document folder, so I guess this isn't portable anymore?
Fixed it now. You can re download it or just create empty file with "Portable" name in your ShareX folder.

Special

#131 Post by Special »

Thanks for looking into it, and about my earlier comment about settings transferring, I'm not really sure what happened the first time but when I copied the stuff over but left my ShareX (settings) folder it decided to put new settings into my documents instead of reading what was already in the install location like normal, I did this a second time and it kept my settings, so I must have deleted the "PersonalPath" file, maybe...

Special

#132 Post by Special »

I have the portable file in the install location but Logs still get created in my document folder.

http://i.imgur.com/Q3b32ZR.png

Jaex

#133 Post by Jaex »

I did few small changes to portable support of ShareX. Before "PersonalPath.cfg" file with "ShareX" text in it was needed. Now instead having empty file with "Portable" name is required. Reason for this is, so you can have another path in your PersonalPath.cfg and still it will recognize your ShareX as Portable.

Another change I did is about auto update system. If ShareX recognized it as portable then auto update notification window will ask you about opening download url of portable build. So checking for portable update and downloading it is more easier now and no need to disable auto updating anymore.

Jaex

#134 Post by Jaex »

Special wrote:I have the portable file in the install location but Logs still get created in my document folder.

http://i.imgur.com/Q3b32ZR.png
You are right. There is problem about it :( Working on it to fix now.

Special

#135 Post by Special »

No worries, bugs happen. I must say, developers like you are awesome to whom listen and try to fix things asap for there users, especially for minorities like us portable app freaks.