ShareX - screenshot, screen recorder, uploader, etc.

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: ShareX

#106 Post by webfork »

Special wrote:Why not just hit the minimize button a few pixels over?
It's a failsafe. When you have an application you really don't want to close and you're the sort of person like me who occasionally accidentally clicks a few pixels off target, it's helpful.
Jaex wrote: ... why it takes one month for ShareX to get updated in this website? While other softwares instantly get updated.
This is a volunteer website and some of our efforts are based upon a website-watching system that observes changes/updates rather than a specific numerical check. When I was more active with the update process, I used KC Softwares SUMo updater, which catches some updates but not others.

More to the point, if you have a major update or security issue, please feel free to post here and we'll try to expedite it.

smaragdus

#107 Post by smaragdus »

@Jaex
I posted about the latest version of ShareX in its page here (explaining that there is no separate portable build for this version).
By the way Softpedia too hasn't updated the ShareX Portable page (http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... able.shtml).
I just wonder- don't you think that it won't be bad to release an additional separate archived portable build of ShareX 10.1.0 and upload it in ShareX releases page on GitHub? This will not be contradictory to history of changes since the portable installation mode concerns only the installer.

webfork

#108 Post by webfork »

Just updated the entry with the installer version. I'll change it in accordance with whatever Jaex does next.

Additionally, I voted for the program's inclusion on Steam, which you can do too if you have a Steam account. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =491692781 ... the intro video is excellent.

I am Baas

#109 Post by I am Baas »

webfork wrote:Just updated the entry with the installer version. I'll change it in accordance with whatever Jaex does next.
The installer requires admin rights.

Jaex

#110 Post by Jaex »

I am Baas wrote:
webfork wrote:Just updated the entry with the installer version. I'll change it in accordance with whatever Jaex does next.
In installer script "PrivilegesRequired=none" is set so it is not supposed to require admin rights.

I am Baas

#111 Post by I am Baas »

Jaex wrote:
I am Baas wrote:
In installer script "PrivilegesRequired=none" is set so it is not supposed to require admin rights.
Must be my UAC settings that triggered that.

PS. tested in a sandboxed environment.

I am Baas

#112 Post by I am Baas »

@Jaex

Is the Recorder-devices-setup.exe file part of the portable package?

Jaex

#113 Post by Jaex »

I am Baas wrote:@Jaex

Is the Recorder-devices-setup.exe file part of the portable package?
Portable must make no change in your system. But that setup file registers dll therefore it can't be included as portable.

I am Baas

#114 Post by I am Baas »

Jaex wrote:
I am Baas wrote:@Jaex<br sab="729"><br sab="730">Is the Recorder-devices-setup.exe file part of the portable package?
<br sab="731"><br sab="732">Portable must make no change in your system. But that setup file registers dll therefore it can't be included as portable.
Then you have work to do, it is now included in the portable package.

Jaex

#115 Post by Jaex »

I am Baas wrote:
Jaex wrote:
I am Baas wrote:@Jaex<br sab="729"><br sab="730">Is the Recorder-devices-setup.exe file part of the portable package?
<br sab="731"><br sab="732">Portable must make no change in your system. But that setup file registers dll therefore it can't be included as portable.
Then you have work to do, it is now included in the portable package.
It is not included in portable package. That dlls not install automatically in portable mode. Even in non portable mode that dlls not install, it is completely optional.

Jaex

#116 Post by Jaex »

Uploaded portable zip for latest version now:
https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/releases/tag/v10.2.0

Special

#117 Post by Special »

Awesome I think I asked for this feature.
"Option to only save to history when URL is not empty (In Task settings -> Advanced tab)"

Just so I'm clear, All my settings are in the ShareX folder so that just needs to be copied into the new app directory when upgrading, correct?

Jaex

#118 Post by Jaex »

Special wrote:Awesome I think I asked for this feature.
"Option to only save to history when URL is not empty (In Task settings -> Advanced tab)"

Just so I'm clear, All my settings are in the ShareX folder so that just needs to be copied into the new app directory when upgrading, correct?
You just need to extract new portable to same folder.

smaragdus

Re: ShareX - screenshot, screen recorder, uploader, etc.

#119 Post by smaragdus »

@Jaex
I stick to ShareX version 10.0.0 because
Rounded rectangle, ellipse, triangle, diamond region captures moved to "Region capture" which you can activate them with Numpad 1, 2, 3, 4 keys
- before ShareX version 10.1.0 these menus were far easier to use. I think you might add them as sub-menus to Region or even better simply restore these menus as main menus again as it was in ShareX versions prior to 10.1.0. Remember that not all laptops have full keyboard (numpad). It was much easier and handier to take screen-shots (at least for me) using ShareX version 10.0.0. Easiness and handiness are among the most important qualities for a screen-capture program and now using ShareX is no longer easy. In 90% of the cases I am using the 'Rectangle' capture menu and now it doesn't even exist and I need to waste time to activate numpad and read the barely readable hot keys and next time I have to go through all this again. This is annoying and frustrating, especially when having in mind that with older versions of ShareX this was achieved by a single click. Please consider to bring back good old menus in front (Rectangle was just great). I know that new versions of ShareX offer lots of new features but I cannot utilize them since for me using ShareX has become a pain because of the removal of the once easily accessible menus. In short, I think that Rectange, Rounded rectangle, Ellipse, Triange and Diamond menus should be restored because it is faster, easier and handier to access these menus as main menus.

Jaex

Re: ShareX - screenshot, screen recorder, uploader, etc.

#120 Post by Jaex »

smaragdus wrote:@Jaex
I stick to ShareX version 10.0.0 because
Rounded rectangle, ellipse, triangle, diamond region captures moved to "Region capture" which you can activate them with Numpad 1, 2, 3, 4 keys
- before ShareX version 10.1.0 these menus were far easier to use. I think you might add them as sub-menus to Region or even better simply restore these menus as main menus again as it was in ShareX versions prior to 10.1.0. Remember that not all laptops have full keyboard (numpad). It was much easier and handier to take screen-shots (at least for me) using ShareX version 10.0.0. Easiness and handiness are among the most important qualities for a screen-capture program and now using ShareX is no longer easy. In 90% of the cases I am using the 'Rectangle' capture menu and now it doesn't even exist and I need to waste time to activate numpad and read the barely readable hot keys and next time I have to go through all this again. This is annoying and frustrating, especially when having in mind that with older versions of ShareX this was achieved by a single click. Please consider to bring back good old menus in front (Rectangle was just great). I know that new versions of ShareX offer lots of new features but I cannot utilize them since for me using ShareX has become a pain because of the removal of the once easily accessible menus. In short, I think that Rectange, Rounded rectangle, Ellipse, Triange and Diamond menus should be restored because it is faster, easier and handier to access these menus as main menus.
Region = Rectangle now so I'm not sure why you telling it is pain.
And reason why I moved "rounded rectangle, ellipse, triangle and diamond" because many people requested it. Otherwise why would I remove something which I added before.
So I can't make everybody happy.