ShareX - screenshot, screen recorder, uploader, etc.

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Jaex

Re: ShareX

#91 Post by Jaex »

Can you show video so I can see how much not clear.

romulous

#92 Post by romulous »

romulous wrote:Has anyone noticed that the included image editor no longer saves its window size in recent versions? So if you resize the editor (which I do, I find it too small on my display), and then close ShareX, you will find that when you open it back up, the editor window is at the default size again. I am pretty sure it used to save the size when you change it.
I managed to work out the problem. If you crop an image with ShareX, the image editor window will resize down to the default size, which will typically be much smaller than what I normally have it set to. The result being that if you have resized the image editor window, after you crop an image, when you next open ShareX, the image editor window will be small, which means you have to resize it again.

Workaround: don't crop images in ShareX!

romulous

Jaex

#93 Post by Jaex »

I didn't added Portable zip file this release but instead added "Portable mode" option in installer. Hopefully this option will meet your needs too.
Let me know if you have problem about it.

Special

#94 Post by Special »

Can this upload to Imgur, and does it save imgur history so that pictures can be deleted from off their website at a later time. I've been using Greenshot for all my needs but recently Greenshot has been giving me issues with the history/imgur feature which is becoming a deal breaker for me, and there updates are so few and far between I don't feels like waiting around and hoping things get fixed, so this ShareX seems promising.

Basically when you upload a picture to imgur it saves its info and shows in a window like this http://i.imgur.com/AIIRM3N.png with the delete hash that is needed.
Now for me it always looks like this http://i.imgur.com/kS0Tpar.png

Does ShareX do this?

Jaex

#95 Post by Jaex »

Special wrote:Can this upload to Imgur, and does it save imgur history so that pictures can be deleted from off their website at a later time. I've been using Greenshot for all my needs but recently Greenshot has been giving me issues with the history/imgur feature which is becoming a deal breaker for me, and there updates are so few and far between I don't feels like waiting around and hoping things get fixed, so this ShareX seems promising.

Basically when you upload a picture to imgur it saves its info and shows in a window like this http://i.imgur.com/AIIRM3N.png with the delete hash that is needed.
Now for me it always looks like this http://i.imgur.com/kS0Tpar.png

Does ShareX do this?
ShareX saves every single upload in history with their deletion url etc.
Example my history have 22360 links in it. First link from 2011.

smaragdus

#96 Post by smaragdus »

@Jaex
I preferred the archived portable version since it is easier to use and since I do not like to mess with any kind of installers. More, for me it is easier and handier to use the archived portable version in order to perform a update.

Special

#97 Post by Special »

Jaex wrote: ShareX saves every single upload in history with their deletion url etc.
This is great! It looks to me it supersedes Greenshot in almost every way, and functionality wise it's almost the exact same. One request though since you seem to be the developer. Can the History panel have a way to delete entries from it?

This screen http://i.imgur.com/8HizJfQ.png , there seems to be no way of removing old irrelevant pictures other then deleting the entire History file in the install directory, it would be great if there was a quick way to just "select + delete" to remove the specific file from the list, and maybe add a "are you sure?" dialog to uploaded ones such as imgur.

Jaex

#98 Post by Jaex »

Special wrote:
Jaex wrote: ShareX saves every single upload in history with their deletion url etc.
This is great! It looks to me it supersedes Greenshot in almost every way, and functionality wise it's almost the exact same. One request though since you seem to be the developer. Can the History panel have a way to delete entries from it?

This screen http://i.imgur.com/8HizJfQ.png , there seems to be no way of removing old irrelevant pictures other then deleting the entire History file in the install directory, it would be great if there was a quick way to just "select + delete" to remove the specific file from the list, and maybe add a "are you sure?" dialog to uploaded ones such as imgur.
On purpose I didn't added delete entry button. For make this history never ever get corrupt. Because how deletion can work in XML is first application reads whole xml then parsing it and then removing that specific entry and then re write as xml. And if electric lose while doing it and such things you can lose your whole history. Even with backup somethings can go wrong. So I made sure never something bad can happen to your history. So I prefer data security to deletion option. Because it is not acceptable for people to lose their 100000+ links by any electric related accidents etc.

Special

#99 Post by Special »

Jaex wrote:On purpose I didn't added delete entry button. For make this history never ever get corrupt. Because how deletion can work in XML is first application reads whole xml then parsing it and then removing that specific entry and then re write as xml. And if electric lose while doing it and such things you can lose your whole history. Even with backup somethings can go wrong. So I made sure never something bad can happen to your history. So I prefer data security to deletion option. Because it is not acceptable for people to lose their 100000+ links by any electric related accidents etc.
Fair enough, I agree that data security should be a priority, at least I can always manually delete the file periodically to keep things neat and tidy, hopfully one day though you can figure something out.

A few other things I would like to request since you are reading these.
1) A way to turn off logging.
2) A way to customize what shows in here. http://i.imgur.com/z744lMO.png
3) A way to change location of notification popups, I would like those to show on my second monitor instead of the primary (this also goes for all window pops up, for example right clicking on http://i.imgur.com/z744lMO.png "task settings" pops the window on primary even though the action was done on my secondary)
4) I would like to start ShareX and have it start minimized, BUT when pressing http://i.imgur.com/VzR9CrL.png the close button here, have it quit the program, and pressing the minimize button there have it minimize to taskbar.

Keep up the good work, also I voted for ya :)

webfork

#100 Post by webfork »

Jaex: do you have a bug / feature request site?
Jaex wrote:On purpose I didn't added delete entry button.
Makes sense.
Special wrote:I would like to start ShareX and have it start minimized, BUT when pressing http://i.imgur.com/VzR9CrL.png the close button here, have it quit the program, and pressing the minimize button there have it minimize to taskbar.
I actually prefer the X-to-minimize default setting. I know some users beyond Special prefer the X-to-shut down method.

Special

#101 Post by Special »

Why not just hit the minimize button a few pixels over? They are after all buttons for minimize, maximize, close, and right now they act as minimize, maximize, minimize. Kinda redundant.

Fake Edit: I guess the minimize button just minimizes the window to the taskbar and not to the notification area, anyway here's hoping for more customizability.

Jaex

#102 Post by Jaex »

webfork wrote:Jaex: do you have a bug / feature request site?
Jaex wrote:On purpose I didn't added delete entry button.
Makes sense.
Special wrote:I would like to start ShareX and have it start minimized, BUT when pressing http://i.imgur.com/VzR9CrL.png the close button here, have it quit the program, and pressing the minimize button there have it minimize to taskbar.
I actually prefer the X-to-minimize default setting. I know some users beyond Special prefer the X-to-shut down method.
https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/issues bug/feature request site.

Jaex

#103 Post by Jaex »

smaragdus wrote:@Jaex
I preferred the archived portable version since it is easier to use and since I do not like to mess with any kind of installers. More, for me it is easier and handier to use the archived portable version in order to perform a update.
Then I should disable portable mode in installer and upload zip version again. Another bad thing in installer portable mode is some people install it to their program files and therefore ShareX can't create files inside program files and this causing problems.

webfork

#104 Post by webfork »

>> for me it is easier and handier to use the archived portable version in order to perform a update

> Then I should disable portable mode in installer and upload zip version again.

Does your installer version function like the PortableApps format? So for example if you set it to the same directory as the old version, just updates files without overwriting settings? If so, you might want to stick with the installer version as that's what more people are familiar with. I don't have a preference here but I'm trying to guess about what most people will want or expect.

Also the installer version has the advantage of generally being smaller since you can include a better compression method than ZIP. Alternatively you could just offer a .7z distro but this might be a lot of unnecessary extra effort.

Jaex

#105 Post by Jaex »

webfork wrote:>> for me it is easier and handier to use the archived portable version in order to perform a update

> Then I should disable portable mode in installer and upload zip version again.

Does your installer version function like the PortableApps format? So for example if you set it to the same directory as the old version, just updates files without overwriting settings? If so, you might want to stick with the installer version as that's what more people are familiar with. I don't have a preference here but I'm trying to guess about what most people will want or expect.

Also the installer version has the advantage of generally being smaller since you can include a better compression method than ZIP. Alternatively you could just offer a .7z distro but this might be a lot of unnecessary extra effort.
I don't know PortableApps format. When you select same directory it was correctly updating. But after smaragdus opinion I removed portable mode from installer. And in next version again I will upload zip portable.

By the way I wonder why it takes one month for ShareX to get updated in this website? While other softwares instantly get updated.