Trying to make xplorer² lite portable

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
Andrew Lee

Trying to make xplorer² lite portable

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

I am trying to make xplorer² lite portable using JauntePE, but ran into a problem. Whatever application I launch under xplorer² lite also runs under JPE, even though I have already specified:

Code: Select all

[ModuleExclude]
1=*

[ModuleInclude]
1=xplorer2.exe
Any ideas? You can download my working package here. Everything you need is included in the ZIP package. Simply unzip and launch "xplorer2_portable.exe".

Thanks!

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

Hello, Andrew.

You would need to add RedirMisc=0 in the [Redirection].
I tested it with a launcher and it works wonderfully, have been waiting for this.

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

It works! Thanks!

What does this flag do anyway?

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

If 1 the JPEized application's child processes would be injected with JauntePE runtime dlls.

There are many new cool features in the 0.1.4 like, in-memory .reg file usage, change border color, icon via the ini, logging, etc. They are in the readme.txt and well documented, even though redllar hates documentations. :wink:

redllar

#5 Post by redllar »

This is the app that hangs on exit when run via JPE, isn't it? So you might want to also add the key it hangs on into the [RegistryIgnore] list, just in case someone happens to have the app installed normally as well.

Sorry, I can't remember what key it was that was causing the problem. Maybe just adding the app's main HKCU key would suffice.

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

This is the app that hangs on exit when run via JPE, isn't it? So you might want to also add the key it hangs on into the [RegistryIgnore] list, just in case someone happens to have the app installed normally as well.

Yeah, works like a charm now. I found this in one of your replies in another thread. Now it works even if the app settings are found in the real registry, unlike last time. I tested both with and without the real registry settings.

Anyway, here's the wrapper I have generated and have been using for the past couple of days. I was using the NSIS wrapper previously. Seems pretty stable so far, and I keep it on my desktop all the time.

If any of you want to try it out, here it is: xplorer2lite.zip. Just copy "xplorer2.exe" to the same folder and run "xplorer2_portable.exe". If enough folks try it and have no problems with it, I am thinking of hosting the wrapper and pointing to it in the database entry.

I will be working on Crazy Browser next, I think.

Thanks for JauntePE, redllar. This is brilliant!

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

Noticed something strange yesterday, but didn't have time to test it, so I am writing this down only now.

In xplorer2_jauntepe.ini, I set "MemRegistry=0". That is because if I set "MemRegistry=1", I observe a strange behaviour.

Let's say I start clean. I run xplorer2_portable.exe. Then I right-click on the toolbar, select "Text labels" and disable it. Then exit program.

Next, I run xplorer2_portable.exe again. Everything looks alright. Exit program.

Now, when I run xplorer2_portable.exe for the third time, the changes to the toolbar are gone i.e. the text labels reappear.

It's not just the text labels. You can dock the toolbar somewhere else, or customize the buttons. Same behaviour. At the third launch, the toolbar resets.

This only happens when "MemRegistry=1". It doesn't happen when "MemRegistry=0".

redllar

#8 Post by redllar »

This only happens when "MemRegistry=1". It doesn't happen when "MemRegistry=0".
Okay, I'll look into it. Thanks.

Just fyi, your portable's zip name is dangerously close to the real app's zip name. :)

redllar

#9 Post by redllar »

his only happens when "MemRegistry=1". It doesn't happen when "MemRegistry=0".
Found the problem and got it fixed. This fixed the same problem when running PDFX Viewer, so thanks.