Hi all.

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
Firewrath

#16 Post by Firewrath »

redllar wrote: Also, no testing this time around.
...which has Nothing to do with the hundred and some suggestions i made to you for the last few versions of JPE, right? ;)

Anyways, yeah, :P
i was glad to help out, i mean, i use a few JPE'd programs atleast 2-3 times a week, and one or two daily, so all that work you put into it sure as hell didnt go to waste on my end, :P

heh, i just spent a few days a week ago trying to get a GoASM IDE called 'EasyCode' to work with it,
took a few trys and a batch system to handle the files, but JPE caught the registry entries and thats all i was concerned about, ^-^

And yeah, may not seem like it, but the JPE community is there,
i was actually surprised of the thread count/views when i checked it a few days ago, i mean, geez, have you seen them?
most of them are pass the 1k mark after a few days, :P
...i guess people just dont want to say alot, :P

Edit:
And to be all self important, (;)) i think this from my readme says it well enough:
The main discussion for JPE was here:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... .php?t=442
(The biggest thread on the site, even though redllar was sure no one would have an interest in this program. Phht. :P
Since his site has been down, people have been asking for his program which is why im doing this.
...you know, because of the lack of interest. ;))
/Edit.

And as for the Q&A bit, ill reply to your post over there, ^-^

denash1

#17 Post by denash1 »

This app is very good and does what it should do thx for this great program and keep up the good work :wink: thx

redllar

#18 Post by redllar »

...which has Nothing to do with the hundred and some suggestions i made to you for the last few versions of JPE, right?
No it doesn't, really. :) It has to do with why I'm here. The 020 version is just my play toy. If others find it useful fine but I'm not expecting any feedback and if there is any I probably won't have time to act on it. I think it'll be enough just to get the 011 version performing well enough plus putting out some info on how to JPEize different types of apps. That's all I'm expecting to accomplish.
i was actually surprised of the thread count/views when i checked it a few days ago, i mean, geez, have you seen them?
most of them are pass the 1k mark after a few days
I'm pretty sure the high view counts are due to feed aggregators, probably keying off of specific key words. Andrew would know for sure.
This app is very good and does what it should do
If you really think so and would like to see its development continued, then show your support by posting some apps you've portablized with it in Kranor's thread and/or post questions to Firewrath's thread. The more people participate the more I'm inclined to open source it so that its development can be continued after I'm done here.

Zach Thibeau

Good

#19 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Good to have you back man.

If you need any webspace for either hosting JauntePE entirely or just want a mirror just say the word I can can provide you everything including mysql databases and I have unlimited disk space too just say the word and I can provide it ;)

Firewrath

#20 Post by Firewrath »

ok, ive like got to say how cool this encrypted drive plugin is, :P
redllar wrote: A bug I'm still researching is if you do a File->Save As to create a new file. You'll need to create the file first by 1) right-clicking within the folder window, 2) selecting New->Text Document, and 3) naming it. Then select it, click Save, and click Yes to replace it. Just clicking on Save won't do anything.
i was playing around with this,
and i Think, that w/o this bug, i can use this with SandBoxie to encrypt my sandboxs,

Edit:
After fooling with this abit more, im So wrong, >.<
i think the problem might be that sandboxie cant See the drive in the first place,
because even with trying to access already made files, it was giving me issues from the driver,
which really sucks cause this would have been just awesome if it worked, ^-^
i dont think this is a JPE problem or a Sandboxie problem,
i think its a windows problem, like the sandboxie service driver is a separate program thats Called by sandboxie, and hence not treated as a JPE child, so its not allowed to view the drives,

but given my extremely all-knowing info about Windows, *Cough* :P
i could be (, and probably am,) wrong,
hopefully its just some little thing that can be fixed and Poof, JPE'd Sandboxie with encrpyted sandboxs,
Yay! :P

...And yes, Sandboxie does work if with encrpyted drives only, (IE: No redirect like reg/files) as long as you keep the sandbox addy on a 'real' drive,
And it works if you run JPE sandboxed, and by using the notepad test, you can view the encrypted drives then,

BUT,
if these drives are made mountable, this is all uselesss info,
cause i think if Windows can see it, then the windows services will, :P

Anyways,
to anyone who read what i wrote yesterday, sorry if i got your hopes up, -_-

but mebey this will be possible in the future,
And to you all you ppl wondering why i dont just run JPE sandboxed then run the programs i want to use through it, theres two reasons,
A) Im Lazy, :P
B) JPE doesent work well with things like Internet Explorer, and i might have to change settings per program that i run, which goes back to A, ^-^;

redllar

#21 Post by redllar »

thibeaz wrote: If you need any webspace for either hosting JauntePE entirely or just want a mirror just say the word I can can provide you everything including mysql databases and I have unlimited disk space too just say the word and I can provide it Wink
Sorry, but I'm not really interested in JPE's distribution since I don't really care what happens to it anymore. I'm leaving it up to its users as to what future it has, if any.
Firewrath wrote: After fooling with this abit more, im So wrong, >.<
i think the problem might be that sandboxie cant See the drive in the first place,
because even with trying to access already made files, it was giving me issues from the driver,
which really sucks cause this would have been just awesome if it worked, ^-^
i dont think this is a JPE problem or a Sandboxie problem,
i think its a windows problem, like the sandboxie service driver is a separate program thats Called by sandboxie, and hence not treated as a JPE child, so its not allowed to view the drives
I'm not surprised this didn't work. First, the 020 version won't hook child processes of hooked processes with the new plugins at all. Second, I don't really know how Sandboxie works, but if it's using a service or a driver to do the sandboxing then the whole JPE runtime won't get hooked into it. So even if the Sandboxie client does show the JPE drives, the server won't know what to do with them.

There is code in place in the JPE runtime to hook a started service but it's currently only enabled for the MS Installer service. Adding in a new set of [Service...] lists would fix that though. So I guess I'll add this in for the 012 version.

Wasn't I also going to add some other lists anyway? I can't remember but I think we had discussed this before.

Firewrath

#22 Post by Firewrath »

redllar wrote: I'm not surprised this didn't work. First, the 020 version won't hook child processes of hooked processes with the new plugins at all. Second, I don't really know how Sandboxie works, but if it's using a service or a driver to do the sandboxing then the whole JPE runtime won't get hooked into it. So even if the Sandboxie client does show the JPE drives, the server won't know what to do with them.

There is code in place in the JPE runtime to hook a started service but it's currently only enabled for the MS Installer service. Adding in a new set of [Service...] lists would fix that though. So I guess I'll add this in for the 012 version.

Wasn't I also going to add some other lists anyway? I can't remember but I think we had discussed this before.
well,
im not really sure here,
but wouldnt hooking the sandboxie.exe with the folders be enough?
i mean, sandboxie calls the service to do the redirecting but sandboxie itself controls the folder access? O_o

and its a service that starts with the computer, so i dont think you could hook it with JPE(? O_o),
someguys on the forums over there are working on a portable verison,
mebey that has potential for this?

idk if youd want to look at it and see, but yeah, :P

Anyways,
as for the list thing,
im sure i could go back in my emails and drag out over a page of stuff we talked about you adding to JPE or 'itd be cool/neat/useful If......' :P

as for the list thing, itd be cool if it let Sandboxie work,
(yeah, im a security nut to a point, ^-^;
the idea of portable encrypted sandboxs is just like, 'omfg!iwantiwantiwant!' :P)

But, sandboxie is the only thing i comes across so far that actually might need a JPE'd service,
so the work for that would outweigh the cool minor benefit?
specially since JPE can be run inside sandboxie anyways,
im just too lazy to do that currently, ;)

redllar

#23 Post by redllar »

well,
im not really sure here,
but wouldnt hooking the sandboxie.exe with the folders be enough?
i mean, sandboxie calls the service to do the redirecting but sandboxie itself controls the folder access? O_o
I doubt it. The exe probably just hands off the "sandbox info", whatever that may be, to the service, since it's probably the service that does the sandboxing (otherwise why have it?)
and its a service that starts with the computer, so i dont think you could hook it with JPE(? O_o),
Sure it can. Technically a service is just another process. Don't you remember the test version I sent you guys that hooked every process in the system, even the system processes, and how much you disliked having that done? :)
someguys on the forums over there are working on a portable verison,
mebey that has potential for this?
Well, I was really only addressing your attempt to use the fake drive plugin for your sandboxes. But yeah, given the right JPE runtime ini and a plugin to install/start/stop/uninstall the service on-the-fly, I don't see why not, as long as the registry redirection doesn't interfere with Sandboxie's registry machinations, whatever they may be. A similar plugin could be written for drivers as well.
as for the list thing, itd be cool if it let Sandboxie work,
(yeah, im a security nut to a point, ^-^;
the idea of portable encrypted sandboxs is just like, 'omfg!iwantiwantiwant!' Razz)
I think it'd be easy enough to do. It'd make the services hooking more flexible which needs to be done anyway.

But, why not just use TrueCrypt to encrypt the sandbox?
But, sandboxie is the only thing i comes across so far that actually might need a JPE'd service,
so the work for that would outweigh the cool minor benefit?
specially since JPE can be run inside sandboxie anyways,
im just too lazy to do that currently, Wink
It's a very easy change or I wouldn't be suggesting it. As mentioned above, portablizing it would be a bit more complicated and would be best left to a plugin.

Firewrath

#24 Post by Firewrath »

redllar wrote: Sure it can. Technically a service is just another process. Don't you remember the test version I sent you guys that hooked every process in the system, even the system processes, and how much you disliked having that done? :)
Yeah, i remember, ....i still have it somewhere,
it was Evile, i tell you, Evile! ;)

redllar wrote: Well, I was really only addressing your attempt to use the fake drive plugin for your sandboxes. But yeah, given the right JPE runtime ini and a plugin to install/start/stop/uninstall the service on-the-fly, I don't see why not, as long as the registry redirection doesn't interfere with Sandboxie's registry machinations, whatever they may be. A similar plugin could be written for drivers as well.
Well, they're going with an NSIS script to make it portable,
i was thinking a slightly change to the script to make it point at the portable.exe instead of the normaly .exe, would be all thats needed?
cause if i made a portable.exe with Only the crypto drives enabled, i wouldnt have to worry about the registry and file redirection?

redllar wrote: But, why not just use TrueCrypt to encrypt the sandbox?
Honestly?
cause im lazy, :P
TC seems complicated reading through the stuff on it, and i dont have anything i need protected That well, :P
and Sandboxie + JPE crypto-Drives just seemed neat, ^-^
redllar wrote: It's a very easy change or I wouldn't be suggesting it. As mentioned above, portablizing it would be a bit more complicated and would be best left to a plugin.
cool, if you can do it without much trouble and want to, thatd be great,
always nice to have more options in a program like JPE incase you might ever need them, ^-^
and you know ill use it, :P

chezduong

#25 Post by chezduong »

Just a thought, but Truecrypt and Sandboxie both need Admin rights to work. From memory, JPE does not need Admin rights. This is a big deal for many people...espeically concerning Truecrypt.