Questions about the Build Portable wizard

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
crownixx

Questions about the Build Portable wizard

#1 Post by crownixx »

1. In the 2nd wizard, where it ask where to put the "portable launcher", have anybody succeed to put "portable launcher" not in the same directory of application exe?i try many ways and had no luck

from Firewrath Guide
and at the bottom he check 'Keep portable registry in memory' ONLY, nothing else,.....
2. so in the Portable Registry Usage wizard, just curious what happen if we tick the "updates are written immediately"? In what condition this setting is useful?

3. two wizard before the Build Portable wizard ends, where it ask whether to "stuff the application execute\portable registry&filesystem".. What's the advantage of "stuff" those files into "portable launcher"?

Firewrath

Re: Questions about the Build Portable wizard

#2 Post by Firewrath »

ok, a Quick reply here, :P
crownixx wrote:1. In the 2nd wizard, where it ask where to put the "portable launcher", have anybody succeed to put "portable launcher" not in the same directory of application exe?i try many ways and had no luck
i havnt tryed this,
but JPE is an Alpha release,
so this might not work, but ill do some testing in the next week or so to see what i can come up with,

BUT,
if you check in the examples, under the 'Pstart1'
that might be what your wanting,
its how i run JPE on my USB key, it actually takes a .ini file to point at the right folder for JPE, but otherwise all you need is the two exe and the ini file in the main folder,
crownixx wrote: from Firewrath Guide
and at the bottom he check 'Keep portable registry in memory' ONLY, nothing else,.....
2. so in the Portable Registry Usage wizard, just curious what happen if we tick the "updates are written immediately"? In what condition this setting is useful?
Theres been a few questions about this, i think im gonig to have to update the guide with this info, :P

this is Only if your going to run it on a USB stick,
keeping the registry in memory and only writing to the stick will give a small increase to its 'life'
...more so if your using alot of JPE programs,

You dont need to do this if your just running the program from your harddrive,
(IE: nothing will 'happen' if you hit 'write updates immediately', its just not USB friendly,)
but the 'keep in memory' option will speed up the program operation while under JPE,
crownixx wrote: 3. two wizard before the Build Portable wizard ends, where it ask whether to "stuff the application execute\portable registry&filesystem".. What's the advantage of "stuff" those files into "portable launcher"?
This is part of an option that didnt fully make it in,
it was supposed to be a 'space saver' ...more or less,
packing/compressing the .exe into the JPE.exe, then unpacking it either in the folder or into memory when the JPE.exe was ran,
then deleting it, or clearing it from memory when you closed the program,
its just something that wasnt finished,
it still packs the program, but as far as i know, it doesnt delete it after it unpacks it when your done,

crownixx

#3 Post by crownixx »

a very good quick reply.thanks for your time Firewrath
hope you notice my PM

when creating portable, i like to put all the application's file into one folder,normally called "bin" so that i can have neat folder and easily see is the portable launcher. that's why i would try to play with the 2nd wizard.. but i can use other trick like make a launcher that launch the JauntePE portable launcher

Firewrath

Re: Questions about the Build Portable wizard

#4 Post by Firewrath »

Firewrath wrote:
crownixx wrote: 3. two wizard before the Build Portable wizard ends, where it ask whether to "stuff the application execute\portable registry&filesystem".. What's the advantage of "stuff" those files into "portable launcher"?
This is part of an option that didnt fully make it in,
it was supposed to be a 'space saver' ...more or less,
packing/compressing the .exe into the JPE.exe, then unpacking it either in the folder or into memory when the JPE.exe was ran,
then deleting it, or clearing it from memory when you closed the program,
its just something that wasnt finished,
it still packs the program, but as far as i know, it doesnt delete it after it unpacks it when your done,

Ok,
for like the 3rd time on this forum, ;)
i have to say that im Wrong about this,
i had Totally forgotten about what he did till i just got done testing it,
it was supposed to Restuff everything into the jpe.exe when the program was closed,
instead as a 'quick fix' he made it delete the unstuffed files,
so this does work, to a point, but not as full intended,
IE:
it does delete the files when the program quits,

Snow123

#5 Post by Snow123 »

I think "Theres been a few questions about this, i think im gonig to have to update the guide with this info, Razz

this is Only if your going to run it on a USB stick,
keeping the registry in memory and only writing to the stick will give a small increase to its 'life'"