Why not 'web reaper'?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
SleepingWolf

Why not 'web reaper'?

#1 Post by SleepingWolf »

I'm sure web-reaper has been tested, so may I ask why it has been excluded. Of course it probably writes to the registry, but which keys and how frequently?

It's not that I'm trying to whinge or criticize, just trying to understand why I shouldn't "install" it.

Could you please make these details available for discarded apps. Pretty please!

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

It's a download manager that writes settings to the registry, including things like default download path, number of concurrent connections, speed limits etc.

If you can stand having to update all these settings when you switch mahcines, or you are very sure you will never ever touch the default settings, then go ahead and use it.

portackager

#3 Post by portackager »

Well, if it writes to e.g. HKEY_SOFTWARE\web-reaper, or in one folder, and doesn't register dll's, content menus, and doesn't need third party dll's in anywhere else it can be easily made portable by a wrapper. even a batch file,

run:

Code: Select all

start "" "web-reaper.exe"
Reg add "HKCU\Software\Reweb-reaper" wb.reg /f
[code]

export:
[code]
Reg Export "HKCU\Software\Reweb-reaper" wb.reg
Reg Delete "HKCU\Software\Reweb-reaper" 

SleepingWolf

#4 Post by SleepingWolf »

Oops, sorry...

Trust me to pose a technical problem rather than a simple one! I guess the question I should have asked is "Is there a portable alternative?"

Thanks for the replies though...

usdcs

#5 Post by usdcs »

SleepingWolf wrote:I should have asked is "Is there a portable alternative?"
Indeed there is. Check out the Internet / Offline Browsers category: http://www.portablefreeware.com/?c=2&sc=46

Regards,
Dan