Suggestion -- new field: "Release Date" [added!]

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
Andrew Lee

Re: Suggestion of new field: "Release Date"

#46 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks for the feedback! Will work on it this weekend.

tproli, any help you are able to throw this way will be much appreciated. :wink:

Midas

#47 Post by Midas »

tproli wrote:In theory this would fix most line breaks on a 1024px width screen, but not where 32bit and 64bit download versions are also available.
  • Maybe a mix of icon and text would work better for the download links -- e.g., down arrow followed by "32 bit" and "64 bit"?
tproli wrote:Or perhaps a better solution: gradually showing icons only for some screen resolution (using media queries).
So on 800px screen width most of the links were icon, less icons on 1024, etc.
  • Or even making it an user option?

IMHO, "permalink", "favorites", "comments", and "download" are (in reverse order) the more universal candidates for iconization. Plus, I subscribe webfork's concern regarding mouse-over text (tooltips).

SYSTEM

#48 Post by SYSTEM »

Specular wrote:
tproli wrote:Or perhaps a better solution: gradually showing icons only for some screen resolution (using media queries).
So on 800px screen width most of the links were icon, less icons on 1024, etc.
Made a Stylish userstyle of this concept here you can test. It's only a concept, as the comments text is clipped short, and none of the icons are currently sprites. Images are embedded as data URIs.
I like this approach. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Andrew Lee

#49 Post by Andrew Lee »

Have a bit of time to burn today, so...

Check out the new design at:

http://test.portablefreeware.com/

Use "tfpc" as both username and password.

After trying out various designs and shuffling things around, I think this is the best compromise. Website, Download and Screenshot retain their text, while the rest are icons with titles.

Iconizing everything makes it kinda ugly on a desktop browser (don't really want to worry about mobile browsers). There's also no easy way to resolve the problem that webfork pointed out i.e. display icon title or URL in the title.

Specular

#50 Post by Specular »

Looks good Andrew :) Hard to know what would work for a 'forum topic' icon but a bookmark is decent.

One thing about the icons is the original icons were a lighter shade of blue, probably to make them appear visually even with the darker link text. I tested with the original color used (#2d66d6) but it was a little too light, so I tried a new shade (#2c57d3) which was more even.

Original (#2d66d6), current test (#062FB1), new test (#2c57d3)
Image Image Image

Also slight correction the username/password is 'tpfc' ;)
Last edited by Specular on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freakazoid

#51 Post by freakazoid »

TPFC with the iconfont in 2015 :)

Nice work everyone! I guess the next step is responsiveness.
is it stealth? ;)

bzl333

#52 Post by bzl333 »

prob just me but in Opera 12 that line with "Website Download Screenshot" has odd symbols and some of the app icons on the left side of the screen are blank.

Specular

#53 Post by Specular »

bzl333 wrote:prob just me but in Opera 12 that line with "Website Download Screenshot" has odd symbols and some of the app icons on the left side of the screen are blank.
Looks fine on my fresh install of 12.17. Opera 12 can occasionally have inconsistencies between installs with regards to web font rendering though, so it's likely some config hiccup.

tproli

#54 Post by tproli »

Very nice! Some notes:
- the "What's new?" without text is hard to know what it is imo
- same with forum topic icon
- 32-64bit downloads could have only 1 icon instead of 2
- 2 or more icon-only items next to each other looks too "bare"
- most of the icons are filled and not outlined (eg. Screenshot) - probably it would be better using only filled ones
- icon color: old icons are bitmaps, they would be better replaced by icon fonts too in the future

Midas

#55 Post by Midas »

Nicely done, entries look really compact that way. 8)

Nevertheless, I mostly agree with tproli considerations above. Moreover:

- The comments icon should be flipped horizontally;
- If possible, a better icon for forum would be something like the silhouette of the current comment icon repeated thrice (or a combination of that icon with the comments');
- Maybe downloads text could default to "32 bit" after the icon (no "Download"?), having "64 bit" appended when info exists;
- Finally, my suggestion for the what's new icon would be a (hemi-)radiating dot.

Andrew Lee

#56 Post by Andrew Lee »

List of changes I've made:
  • Change icon color to new shade (#2c57d3)
  • Change the various icons to as close to the various suggestions as possible. The full list of icons is available here. Do browse through and see if you can find anything more suitable.
  • Remove "Download" text.
Changes I didn't make:
  • Flip comment icon horizontally. (No such icon exist.)
  • 32-64bit downloads could have only 1 icon instead of 2. (After removing the "Download" text, I actually kinda like it better with two icons.)
Thanks!

Midas

#57 Post by Midas »

Thanks.

Actually, I'd use the icon you've chosen for the forum topic for comments (fa-comments [] or fa-comments-o []) and choose one of following to replace it:
- fa-group (alias) [] fa-university []

As for what's new, I reckon one of these would look better instead of the cog:
- fa-newspaper-o [] fa-gift [] fa-inbox [] new fa-bell [] fa-list-ul []

Also, the forum topic link is displaying the external link overlay (the tiny corner triangle), but I think it shouldn't.

The rest is fine by me. 8)

PS: I would really like to have all those icon's in the forums for posts... :idea:

Specular

#58 Post by Specular »

Changes looking spiffy ;) The new forum icon works better and the cog is decent (the bulb also worked but I'm guessing it was changed for a solid fill).

I'll add though that the 'Download' link often represents both 32 and 64 bit links, mostly when a dedicated 64-bit URL can't be added due to its changing format, so it may give the misleading impression of being a 32-bit only download with the new text.

Andrew Lee

#59 Post by Andrew Lee »

More changes made:
  • fa-comments [] for comments
  • fa-group (alias) [] for forum topic (fa-university looks too much like home)
  • fa-bell [] for what's new
  • Remove external link overlay for forum topics
  • Change text to "Download" when only one download link is available

tproli

#60 Post by tproli »

I think it's fine. Only the bell icon sounds misleading (alarm?) but neither I know any better.

Here is a quick alternative set using the Entypo font set (http://fontello.com/):
Entypo icons
Entypo icons
I'm not saying it is better but after working on it a lot I decided not to recycle :)
The What's new icon is still not the best.

You can flip icons with CSS3:

Code: Select all

transform: scaleX(-1);
-moz-transform: scaleX(-1);
-webkit-transform: scaleX(-1);
-ms-transform: scaleX(-1);