Thunderbird news

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
JohnTHaller

Re: Thunderbird news

#16 Post by JohnTHaller » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:19 pm

webfork wrote:So this has happened finally: http://www.softmaker.com/en/softmaker-office-windows They're calling it "Extended Thunderbird". The office suite currently free for colleges, universities, and teachers but not for students.
I don't see an offer of source code anywhere. Any Thunderbird files they modified are required to be released under the MPL. Note that this doesn't apply to fully new source code files they add.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

freakazoid

#17 Post by freakazoid » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:00 pm

It looks like Softmaker just altered the interface by moving tabs to the bottom and bundled the Lightning addon for calendar and tasks functionality.

They might have not altered any source code, but are redistributing Thunderbird with some custom defaults.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#18 Post by webfork » Mon May 23, 2016 5:47 pm

freakazoid wrote:It looks like Softmaker just altered the interface by moving tabs to the bottom and bundled the Lightning addon for calendar and tasks functionality.

They might have not altered any source code, but are redistributing Thunderbird with some custom defaults.
Ghacks is reporting you can download the plugins without buying the software bundle: http://www.ghacks.net/2016/05/23/thunde ... softmaker/ I still don't see them distributing the source.

freakazoid

#19 Post by freakazoid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:54 am

Thunderbird 52 has been out for a week, but Thunderbird Portable hasn't caught up to it yet.

I don't post on the PortableApps.com site, so hopefully JTH sees this!
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#20 Post by webfork » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:17 pm

freakazoid wrote:Thunderbird 52 has been out for a week, but Thunderbird Portable hasn't caught up to it yet.
It generally takes a few days for the update to come through. Since Thunderbird only sees maintenance releases now, this is only problematic if a really serious bug comes out.

In this case, it looks like they got it updated, unless you're talking about 53.0b1, which is a beta release.

bitcoin

#21 Post by bitcoin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:18 pm

Thunderbird forced an update on me from version 19 or so to version 38 about a year or two ago even though i had updates turned off

webfork

#22 Post by webfork » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:32 pm

bitcoin wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:18 pm
Thunderbird forced an update on me from version 19 or so to version 38 about a year or two ago even though i had updates turned off
More and more I'm frustrated by software I have to disable from being able to connect to the Internet to maintain a reasonably stable machine. I'd expect more from the Mozilla folks, but it's not even really Mozilla anymore. Sigh.